CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone have any opinions on using ARP head studs on a new block? I am in the process of replacing my engine with a new gm block. Are there any advantages to using ARP head studs instead of factory head bolts? I am using Cometic MLS head gaskets and would like to get better clamping than factory headbolts w/o doing timecerts. 2002 Deville VIN 9.

I have not heard any reports about using ARP head studs.

Please be sure to review http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php as it seems an interesting system.

The "SureGrip SG series Stud Kit" FOR NORTHSTAR V8

So you know that if you plan on doing the head gasket repair yourself, you'll have to fix the stripped head bolt holes in the block. Forget about helicoils or threaded inserts. There are all kinds of kits on the market. But nothing even remotely comes close to the SureGrip Stud Kit designed and developed by Northstar Performance.

These one piece CNC machined and heat treated studs completely eliminate the need for any type of threaded insert- the repair is the stud itself. There is a full 2 inches of thread gripping in the block- the most of any Northstar repair kit- and best of all it's a one piece repair.

Update 23/08/2009 Our studs have been time tested in over 150 Northstar engines with only 1 failure; due to head surface imperfections. Some web pages suggest that our studs do not have the physical properties necessary to permanently repair a Northstar engine. This is FALSE. We have done numerous lab tests as well as In-Car testing by both us and our customers. We have had Z-rated cars maxed out at speeds well over 200 km/h (120 MPH) with NO head gasket failures or overheating. Inserts "may" fix your head gasket problem. Our studs "WILL" fix your engine permanently.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks for the info on the head stud kit. These like the timesert kits are made for repairing bad blocks, I have a new block with presumably good threads so I am looking for a solution that improves the factory clamping and uses the factory bolt hole and threads.

Keep in mind that its not about BETTER clamping, the OEM/STOCK bolts do a fine job of clamping, its LONGEVITY you are looking for NOT better clamping.

As it is, the OEM bolts historically have lasted to about 90000 to 120000 in cases where the head gasket is breached. The bolts PULL out of the block, it is thought due to corrosion. It is possible that over time the head gaskets themselves corrode or deteriorate from heat cycling and get squashed allowing coolant to pass into the threads, weakening the threads.

Those are very expensive head gaskets at $150 each considering that Fel Pro from Rockauto are $20 each, I dont know what OEM gaskets are. Which ones did you get Phuzion or EST head gaskets? Are you taking apart a NEW block to do this?, or is it apart already?

Take a look at the studs, I have spoken to Jake

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have a new gm block, not assembled. I am planning on using Cometic MLS headgaskets. If I can reasonably count on 100K with factory headbolts & MLS gaskets I would go that route. I bought my 02 Deville w/84k mi on it and high temps (230+ deg) on long uphill pulls. I had a GM warranty and the dealer kept saying it was normal. At 104k mi (out of warranty) I finally had a non gm shop do a exhaust gas in coolant test (it was positive) and I am now trying to do an engine build that will not have this problem.

Any further opinions are greatly appeciated, and thanks for the info already provided!!

• 4 weeks later...

arp has some pretty strong stuff my whole engine is my transam was studded with use of arp studs just found out from a buddy that ford had probkems with the head bolts on the 6 .0 power stroke and now they use arp hardend head studs there great if your looking to build high rpm high horse power or just want them to last forever. good luck

I have a new gm block, not assembled. I am planning on using Cometic MLS headgaskets. If I can reasonably count on 100K with factory headbolts & MLS gaskets I would go that route. I bought my 02 Deville w/84k mi on it and high temps (230+ deg) on long uphill pulls. I had a GM warranty and the dealer kept saying it was normal. At 104k mi (out of warranty) I finally had a non gm shop do a exhaust gas in coolant test (it was positive) and I am now trying to do an engine build that will not have this problem.

Any further opinions are greatly appeciated, and thanks for the info already provided!!

your on the right track with those gaskets as well cometic is what i use as well boost or nitous no problems. good luck

If you have that documented I would be talking to an attorney... That dealers knowingly screwed you.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

• 2 years later...

I am wondering about the studs from arp. Wouldn't they have a thread that would require drilling and tapping the new block? I can't see how they would be intended for a repair of a used block otherwise. If you figure in that job, I believe I would use new stock bolts, unless you are planning on driving that engine well over 100,000 more miles. I am using the studs from northstar performance since mine needed new threads anyway, and I hope to drive it more than 100,000 more miles.

Archived