CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hello every one. i remember reading a post in a thread about using mink oil on leather seats. some members were concerned about it darkning there lighter colored seats. just thought id update. i mink oiled my cream colored seats about 3 weeks ago. at first while the seats were wet with the oil it turned the color a little darker but after the oil absorbed into the leather the seats were the same color as before. Maybe a pointless thread but just thought i would spread the word as mink oil is GREAT for leather and i did not want any one to dismiss it for the above resone. Happy cadding

• 2 weeks later...

I am a long time advocate of Mink oil for leather conditioning. All leather products!!

The trick is to allow the fabric to absorb the Mink oil for as long as possible; 48 hours is good, 96 hours is better, and xxx hours is even better. IF the fabric appears 'wet' when you cannot wait any longer, simply wipe off the unabsorbed oil with a dry towel. No harm done.

A word about cleaning prior to conditioning: my policy is to use only cleaning products I would use on my own skin (Woolite detergent) .

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 2 months later...
I am a long time advocate of Mink oil for leather conditioning. All leather products!!

The trick is to allow the fabric to absorb the Mink oil for as long as possible; 48 hours is good, 96 hours is better, and xxx hours is even better. IF the fabric appears 'wet' when you cannot wait any longer, simply wipe off the unabsorbed oil with a dry towel. No harm done.

A word about cleaning prior to conditioning: my policy is to use only cleaning products I would use on my own skin (Woolite detergent) .

are there any other common house hold products that could be used on lthr seats ?????

43655807_a46d727e81.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone possibly give me an idea where I can get a bottle of mink oil in upstate NY?

Thanks

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 years later...

Can anyone possibly give me an idea where I can get a bottle of mink oil in upstate NY?

Thanks

Mink oil is not a liquid. Mink oil is a paste that liquifies at body temperature (as in when applying by hand). The most beneficial ingredient in Mink oil is lanolin; the females in your life will love it.

To answer your question, a high end shoe retailer should stock Mink oil. Or a shoe/leather repair shop (if you can find one of those).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 10 months later...

I bought the mink oil in a bottle. It is called liquid mink oil. it feels wonderful and I have treated all of my leather with it. Makes it feel silky smooth. I leave it on the leather and a few days later towel it off. no problems with discoloring

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A question to using mink oil. I am wondering what it would do to suede leather? Any one used it? I am not really interested in guesses at what it would do, I am not willing to ruin my seats (that are very light tan) on a guess, so PLEASE only experienced users. If mink oil is not acceptable for suede, anyone with an different product?

I hope that didn't come off wrong, I just don't want to take a chance. :blush:

• 8 years later...