CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Deville 4.9L -- "Service Ride Control"

I read in a thread from 1999 how to disable the warning. The warning doesn't bother me, its the fact that the car bounces from side to side when I go over bumps and humps in the road, that makes me uneasy about driving through the mountains. I am a skilled aviation, avionics troubleshooter, but I need a HELM publication to follow. Until I get one, can somebody guide me to the right area to start with? The front struts have an electrical connector, I was wondering if I could jumper out the pins at each corner individually until the message goes away, hopefully this would tell me which corner has the problem. Do you think this would work? Or would it short out the system and burn up the controller?

Thanks,

Aeon

:welcomesmiley:

Can you pull your DTC codes and post them here?

If you don't know how...

Click on the "HOW TO" button at the top of this page.

The codes will give us a place to start.

I get I039 either for current/history. Other wise there are no other codes indicated. From more reading in this forum, it sounds like some have installed the passive shocks. What is your take on OE vs. passive? I think I would like to stick with OE if they are still made, and I can do it myself.

I found this on www.cadilacforums.com unbeknownst to me this has been a problem that has plagued this year Cadillac, huh?

You get into the SSS/CCR system by grounding pin 'C' on the ALDL. On the module there is a white plastic window with a LED behind it. It will flash codes after pin 'C' is grounded. It will repeat the codes as long as it is grounded. Kind of like the older GM flash diagnostics.

Code-

12 diagnostic mode

23 left front strut

24 right front strut

25 left rear strut

26 right rear strut

31 lift/dive input error

32 lateral acceleration error

35 speed-sensitive steering error

Ha, had I did some research before I bought this car 4 days ago on the ride control problems, I think I might not have purchased it.

Thanks,

First, let me say... I do not know much about the RSS system on your car.

Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will chime in.

Based on the codes you posted, I REALLY doubt that ALL FOUR shocks have gone bad at the same time.

The first thing I would do is try to trace the wiring and see if there is a broke wire or a connector that is dirty or not plugged in good. Check the wires to the accelerometer and the lift/dive sensor.

It would be logical to assume that there is a common point that is causing your failure. May have a loose wire, possibly a bad ground. The steering error also concerns me. Check all wiring connectors on the steering shaft.

Like I said, I don't know much about it, but it may be possible that the steering error disables the RSS system.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Posted Image

Archived