CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville Stalled on Highway at 75mph

Hi, Thanks for this forum it's very nice. I'm writing because first thing this morning my dad called me and told me his 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville Stalled in the center lane of the highway when he was going about 75 mph behind a semi. Fortunately he's ago, but as you can imagine he won't be driving this vehicle on the highway until he's absolutely 100% the problem is solved, or more likely probably little or no highway driving (maybe going slow in the right lane?). He also has noticed that during acceleration at a stoplight the car is sometimes sluggish. A little background: this car has been relatively well maintained. It has the 4.6l Northstar V8 engine. @ 90,000 miles sparkplugs were changed and oil changes have been done regularly. About 2000 miles after the last oil change the oil is about 1 quart low (mobil 1 synthetic..I know we probably don't need that in this car). I'm not sure about when the fuel filter or transmission fluid has been changed, or whether there has been a coolant flush recently.

Anyway, I took the car to autozone and the error code that surfaced was P0101 , one of the possibilities apparently is the MAF sensor. The gentlemen there were very courteous and helpful. One suggested that I try to clean the MAF sensor with a cleaning product (by CRC) that they sell and also to clean the throttle body. There was a lot of speculation and discussion as to what the problem might be. There was discussion that maybe I should have the oil pressure sensor checked as well. Other ideas thrown out were maybe getting a radiator flush, checking the relay control fan (sorry if i'm describing this part incorrectly) that works with the radiator. Another thought was maybe there was water in the gas line. Anyway after my head spun around in circles I decided to use the great google to get some help and found this amazing forum. I would definitely appreciate some ideas, I really want to keep this car going as it looks very immaculate inside and out. If you can make any suggestions on the most logical and economical way to proceed, I would appreciate it.

Thanks much,

Vikash :)

:welcomesmiley:

First check to make sure the MAF sensor is not unplugged or the wiring frayed etc. But then I would check with rockauto.com or gmotors.com on a new MAF sensor; both offer discount new GM parts.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

First let me say.......

:welcomesmiley:

You can try cleaning the MAF ... clearing the code and see if it comes back.

I don't think the MAF would cause the engine to stall at 75 MPH on the highway.

Cadillac had a bunch of bad crankshaft position sensors, that would cause an intermittent stall, but they will set a different code than what you have.

Someone will chime in shortly with a lot more knowledge than I have.

Posted Image

Yeah, I would not expect a stall like that from a MAF sensor either. CKP (Crankshaft Position) sensors will do that, but the '97's are not known for that. That's not to say they won't fail. I have seen fuel pumps fail like that. Coast to the shoulder, restart and drive away, till it happens again.

Archived