CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question: Engine Interchange Info Please?

I have a nice 96 Eldorado with Blown Head Gaskets and I have a chance to buy a wrecked low mileage 97 STS with a good power train. My question is: Can I drop the whole power train & cradle out of the STS and install it in my Eldorado or will I have to swap the engines around? It sure would be nice and a lot quicker fix if I can just drop the whole works out of the STS and roll it under the Eldorado & blot it up. If someone can help me out on this I will be very grateful!

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Dave

PS; My E-mail is KrazyK55@charter.net

Please drop me a note and thanks again.

If the Eldo is an ETC you can use it. If not, one is an LD8 and the other is an L37 (different intake cams and final drive ratios.

Mine is not an ETC so, Are you saying that I can't use the engine and transmission from the STS in my Eldrado unless it is an ETC?

If the 8th position character of the VIN is the same on both cars, you are good to go. The possibilities for the 8th character are "Y" or "9". The donor STS will be a "9" so the question becomes; what is the 8th character of your Eldo's VIN.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If the Eldo is an ETC you can use it. If not, one is an LD8 and the other is an L37 (different intake cams and final drive ratios.

Mine is not an ETC so, Are you saying that I can't use the engine and transmission from the STS in my Eldrado unless it is an ETC?

Correct. I believe you can't, but check the VIN as Jim suggested to be sure.

I can't document this so take it as something to consider.

The VIN is encoded in the PCM. Transplanting a PCM from a donor car would almost certainly not play well with the other VIN encoded modules in the recipient car.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived