CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

lowering

I have a 4 door sedan deville, I want to lower the front end a couple inches. Are there spring kits available for this, or am I most likely going to have to have this done as a custom job. Any advice would be great. I am not a mechanic and have no experience w/susension.

Try Jamco Suspension. They appear to specialize in springs for those years.

installation info: taken from 1963-1964 Cadillac Community:

pg. 4-24

b. Installation

1. Position inboard end of lower arm in frame mount and install pivot bolt. Do not install nut at this time.

2. Tape rubber insulator to top of spring. Either end of spring may be used at top as both ends of spring are identical.

3. Install top of spring in upper seat of frame tower. Rotate spring so that bottom tang ends fits between raised edge of lower arm, and center of shock absorber, Fig. 4-36.

NOTE: Raised edge of top of arm faces

front of car on right side and rear

on left side.

4. With aid of helper, and with jack placed under lower arm, Fig. 4-37, tilt brake backing plate outward from bottom, and raise arm into position. Guide spring into position with tang end between raised edge on top of lower arm and center line of shock absorber.

Spring may have a tendency to rotate as arm is raised mispositioning tang end. End of tang MUST be between raised edge of arm and center line of shock absorber after spring is installed. Fig 4-36

5. Guide spherical joint stud into steering knuckle.

6. Install standard nut on joint stud and tighten until joint stud seats in knuckle.

7. Remove standard nut and install lock nut on joint stud, tightening to 65 foot-pounds.

8. Install nut on lower suspension arm pivot bolt. Do not tighten this nut until car is on all four wheels.

9. Tighten anchor bolt on brake backing plate to 100 foot-pounds, and bend locking tang over one flat of bolt head.

10. Install two bolts securing brake backing plate to steering knuckle lower support. Tighten to 60 foot pounds.

11. Insert shock absorber assembly up into coil spring and guide stem through tower in frame cross member. Place lower end in position on lower suspension arm. Install pivot bolt, lock washer and nut. Do not tighten nut until car is on all four wheels.

12. Install tie-strut on lower arm, securing with two bolts and nuts. Tighten nuts to 35 foot-pounds.

13. Connect stabilizer link to lower arm.

14. Install brake drum and wheel assembly as described in Note 5c, Steps 7, 8, 9, and 10.

15. Adjust wheel bearings as described in Note 5a.

16. Replace dust cap and wheel disc and lower front end of car.

17. Connect shock absorber at upper mount.

18. Tighten nut on lower suspension arm pivot bolt to 60 foot-pounds.

19. Tighten nut at shock absorber lower mount to 100 foot-pounds.

20. Check wheel alignment and adjust if necessary.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 1 month later...
I have a 4 door sedan deville, I want to lower the front end a couple inches. Are there spring kits available for this, or am I most likely going to have to have this done as a custom job. Any advice would be great. I am not a mechanic and have no experience w/susension.

I have a friend who has a 96 Deville Concors and he had the springs cut, you might look into that.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Cutting the springs is the cheap way to do it. My buddy is into the whole rice burner scene and he tells me that cutting the springs causes problems. The springs won't last as long, the ride can be bouncy and rough. I'd personally go with a kit.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived