CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What Anti-Virus Do You Use

Just curious what anti-virus folks are running.

I use AVG Free Edition, but I'm sick if it always jumping up to update when I start-up, and waiting for the most inconvenient time to start running a scan. Its like a bad kid that won't leave you alone......

I've tried the Norton and Mcafee routes in the past, but they were even more authoritarian......

Anyone found anything better?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just switched from being a long term Norton user to McAfee, and as much as I disliked Norton, I think I am disliking McAfee as much if not more. I don't know the answer. McAfee has options to Block programs from accessing the internet, allowing full access to the internet, and allowing access once, I don't seem to be able to STOP inbound access, and that might be because, at one point I was using Zone Alarm for my firewall. I am going to look at ZA again as a firewall, and disable the McAfee firewall.

Regis has opinions about this, I will try to flag him down. I am curious what Texas Jim things also, he is involved with computers, but I think its on a corporate level and my gut tells me he is using Norton.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have used Norton, McAfee, and PC Tools lately, and find that they will all do the job. However, the best is Norton 360 (NOT Norton Internet Security or Norton Anti-Virus). If you leave your computer running at night, it will run when you aren't using it, like Windows Update. If not, it has a quick scan that isn't too bad. My biggest gripe is that it wants user interaction when Windows changes a firewall setting, and it won't be happy unless you set up a backup and let it run once a week or so. I have my own USB hard disk that I use for backups; Norton will let you have 10 GB on their server and $rent$ $you$ $more$, which I am not willing to do. But, a backup is a good thing to have around. I had a power supply go out on my main computer last month and I could get at my files on the USB disk from my laptop while I was waiting on a new power supply.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

at one point I was using Zone Alarm for my firewall. I am going to look at ZA again as a firewall, and disable the McAfee firewall.

I am curious what Texas Jim thinks also, he is involved with computers, but I think its on a corporate level and my gut tells me he is using Norton.

Mike, Jim, Jack... et al...

My computer runs 24/7

I use Symantec Anti Virus Version 9. It autoupdates itself every Friday night at 2am. You never hear from it unless it detectsa problem. Maybe once every three or four months. :lol::lol:

I have not used Norton 360, so can't comment on it.

I also have Zone Alarm Pro. (McAfee runs me nuts)

ZAPro will stop both inbound AND outbound access to your PC and is very configurable.

In ADDITION to THAT I have a Linksys router in-between my PC and the DSL modem. The router does NAT. (Network Address Translation)

It makes your PC invisable to the net.

The address a hacker sees is not the real address of your computer.

They can hack the IP they see, all day... and it don't affect your computer a bit, because you are really using a different IP than what they see.

NAT makes it a LOT harder for someone to actually figure out what your IP is and try to get into your PC.

Still not impossible to get into... but much more difficult. :lol::lol:

Personally I wouldn't want a PC on the net with out a NAT type router between me and the net. I think that is one of the major reasons I am never bothered.

In the last four years I have had one hack attemp, (that I know of) that got close enough to my computer, that I even noticed it.

They got far enough to scramble my password to the router... but that is as far as they ever got.

Posted Image

In ADDITION to THAT I have a Linksys router in-between my PC and the DSL modem. The router does NAT. (Network Address Translation)

They can hack the IP they see, all day... and it don't affect your computer a bit, because you are really using a different IP than what they see.

NAT makes it a LOT harder for someone to actually figure out what your IP is and try to get into your PC.

That's an interesting point. I have Linksys Wireless N Router between my computer and the satellite modem - here's a link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1194054018722

Would mine be doing the NAT thing too?

That's an interesting point. I have Linksys Wireless N Router between my computer and the satellite modem - here's a link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1194054018722

Would mine be doing the NAT thing too?

Maybe not exactly the same thing ... your router is using STI firewall... but from this link...yours is trying to do the same thing... just using a different way to do it.

http://www.answers.com/topic/stateful-inspection

Can I assume that you DO heve WEP ENABLED? :D:D

Posted Image

Umm.... Yeah - You Bet. If that's the way it came....... :lol::o

It probably came DISABLED by default.

If that is right...

I can drive up in front of your house... connect to your router with the wireless card in my laptop and then LOOK AT, COPY or DELETE, ANYTHING I WANT TO on ANY COMPUTER that is connected to your router. :D:D

Thats not good. :huh:

Find your manual and ENABLE WEP. It is not hard to do... just follow the directions. :D

It will be MUCH more secure.

Posted Image

I can drive up in front of your house... connect to your router with the wireless card in my laptop and then LOOK AT, COPY or DELETE, ANYTHING I WANT TO on ANY COMPUTER that is connected to your router. :D:D

But you don't know where I live..... :P

Actually, I'll look into that. I did follow the set-up guide and did use passwords when I set up the connections - so I believed that the set-up did secure the network. Best to be sure, though.......

But you don't know where I live..... :P

Actually, I'll look into that. I did follow the set-up guide and did use passwords when I set up the connections - so I believed that the set-up did secure the network. Best to be sure, though.......

That was just an example ... but you knew THAT. :D:D

If you used passwords during the setup... it is very possible that you DID enable the WEP. :D

Posted Image

Texas Jim is right. The WEP by default is disabled. I would definitely setup a password and also uncheck the box that allows broadcasting of your SSID. But I, and I'm sure some others, realize that not everyone out there in computer land understands how routers work or how to "properly" set them up. So it's easier for companies to ensure that routers "work" right out of the box. Less returns and the public is generally satisfied. It's funny but I know far more people that could care less if they have a virus as long as they can still access their e-mail and surf than people that are truly concerned about viruses and threats they pose.

My position on anti virus software is: Anything by Symantec is......well I wouldn't buy it. But some like it. I have a lifetime membership with McAfee that I don't use anymore. My opinion is that both Nortons and McAfee utilize far more resources then necessary. Both try to over step their capabilities and fall short in real world performance. But I will not say that they don't work. However, both could do much better considering the resources they have. I'm currently using AVG 7.5 and 8 on several computers. 7.5 is a lean mean program. To give you an idea how smart the company (Grisoft) and the developers are, Intel dumped a chunk of change into them. There was a time when AVG was near the bottom of my list but today AVG 7.5 is at the top of that list. AVG 8 is fine but shaping up to go down the same path as McAfee and Nortons with trying to do too much. All in one is never a good thing. This is my opinion and should not be taken as gospel.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

....I'm currently using AVG 7.5 and 8 on several computers. 7.5 is a lean mean program. To give you an idea how smart the company (Grisoft) and the developers are, Intel dumped a chunk of change into them. There was a time when AVG was near the bottom of my list but today AVG 7.5 is at the top of that list....
Likewise a user and lover of AVG 7.5.524. Free is good.

My wired home network is behind a Linksys-Vonage telephone adapter/router firewall. The (occasional use ) wireless portion of my system is behind a fully WEP enabled (15 character password) Buffalo router/firewall.

Not many folks can accress my data files. There are times when I am not able to access my data files!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My position on anti virus software is: Anything by Symantec is......well I wouldn't buy it. But some like it.

AVG 8 is fine but shaping up to go down the same path as McAfee and Nortons with trying to do too much. All in one is never a good thing. This is my opinion and should not be taken as gospel.

I agree with you that almost all of the "DO EVERYTHING" products are not very good.

I have tried to use several of them. They do a lot of things ... but don't do them very well.

Thats why I use a Firewall program that does nothing but firewall duty.

Norton V9 (Corporate Version.. never expires) Been using it for probably three years or so.

It does Anti Virus duty and nothing else.

I have never noticed it hitting my performance.

It only takes up 12 meg of memory when running in the background and -0- processor time.

Ad Aware does nothing but malware and junk. Only run it when I need to.

Come to think of it... I haven't run it (Ad Aware)in three or four months. :D

Probably need to run it... just to check things.

Posted Image

Just curious what anti-virus folks are running.

I use AVG Free Edition, but I'm sick if it always jumping up to update when I start-up, and waiting for the most inconvenient time to start running a scan. Its like a bad kid that won't leave you alone......

I've tried the Norton and Mcafee routes in the past, but they were even more authoritarian......

Anyone found anything better?

I think you might want to configure your AVG to run in the background and disable the auto update feature. If your AVG is working properly then you shouldn't need to have a scheduled scan. Every auto feature is disabled on mine including scheduled scan. Depends on how you use your computer. Both 7.5 and 8 will change colors or flash when an update is available. You can manually download the updates at your convenience.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I agree with you that almost all of the "DO EVERYTHING" products are not very good.

I have tried to use several of them. They do a lot of things ... but don't do them very well.

Thats why I use a Firewall program that does nothing but firewall duty.

Norton V9 (Corporate Version.. never expires) Been using it for probably three years or so.

It does Anti Virus duty and nothing else.

I have never noticed it hitting my performance.

It only takes up 12 meg of memory when running in the background and -0- processor time.

Ad Aware does nothing but malware and junk. Only run it when I need to.

Come to think of it... I haven't run it (Ad Aware)in three or four months. :D

Probably need to run it... just to check things.

I believe we pretty much see things the same way Jim.

"Burns" rubber

AVG used to be my top recommendation until the new version came out. AntiVir and Kaspersky are both really good free options. I would recommend these three over just about anything else. The Norton corporate stuff is decent but the consumer stuff is junk, it misses a lot and slows down the computer.

A firewall is a must, windows firewall is ok but there's better options out there. Your linksys or similar router will provide additional protection. A stateful inspection firewall simply means that the firewall keeps track of all the connections coming in and going out. If you send out a request for a web page for instance, it knows that the stuff coming back is ok to allow. Stateful inspection is the way to go over a firewall that doesn't keep track of connection state.

See, NOW you guys are speaking my language! :lol:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

WEP enabled NAT router. Norton Internet Security 2007 about to expire in 16 days. I've been pleased with Norton and rarely find it intrusive. McAfee I can't say many good things about, but that's just me.

I'll look into AVG.

Regards,

Waren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

[i think you might want to configure your AVG to run in the background and disable the auto update feature. If your AVG is working properly then you shouldn't need to have a scheduled scan. Every auto feature is disabled on mine including scheduled scan. Depends on how you use your computer. Both 7.5 and 8 will change colors or flash when an update is available. You can manually download the updates at your convenience.

My AVG is 7.x? Free Edition. I'm thinking that the update and scan features are fixed and unchageable with the free version. Could be mistaken. I'll have to check.

Is yours the free 7.x? Or the purchased version?

If that is right...

Find your manual and ENABLE WEP. It is not hard to do... just follow the directions. :D

OK - I checked last night. The router admin name and password were set to my choice during installation. STI Firewall is enabled. WPA2 Encryption is enabled.

I'm also running Zone Alarm on both computers on the network.

SO.......

Am I covered with this, or is something still missing?

If you have some time to kill, here's a link to the page where you can pull up the User Guide for my router:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

If that is right...

OK - I checked last night. The router admin name and password were set to my choice during installation. STI Firewall is enabled. WPA2 Encryption is enabled.

I'm also running Zone Alarm on both computers on the network.

SO.......

Am I covered with this, or is something still missing?

If you have some time to kill, here's a link to the page where you can pull up the User Guide for my router:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

When you use a wireless router, you're broadcasting everything you do into the air. People can read that. WEP is encryption that makes it harder to read. WPA and WPA2 are better encryption options than WEP, so you're protected in that regards. You can crack WEP in as little as a couple minutes! Most people will move on to another, open, router.

It's good that you have the firewall enabled, and Zone Alarm on the computers. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, as long as you have antivirus of some kind.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

I use WEP encription and MAC address filtering. That way nothing that I don't have can connect, and since the MAC address is WEP encrypted, a hard-core hacker can't clone any of ma MAC addresses. I disabled broadcast of my network ID at one time but some of my stuff can't connect wihtout it.

Make sure that external management of your router isn't enabled, and that you have a strong password on the router admin login. A nice thing to do is to "war drive" or cruise around in a laptop looking for Wi-Fi signals and get in, then crack the router, disable the firewall and/or put the main computer in the DMZ and email the IP address to the serious cracking and exploitation computer in Russia.

An additional layer of safety is to use a couple of random characters somewhere in each user name. The cracking process usually involves guessing a user name and then trying hundreds of weak passwords, and you can dodge that buy avoiding common simple user names. If you *must* have a simple user name ("root" is always there) be sure and use a very strong Unix-quality password on that account.

Examples:

admin - bad; adiminstrator08 - better; Zand3Oomph33 - good

guest - really bad; joeforaweek - better; Joes4Fixit2 - good

bob - really bad; bob_from_accounting - better; Zand3Ooomph33 - good

smith - bad; smithq5 better

Anything short of "good" should have a very strong password, and *never* use a weak password such as "cookie" or other dictionary word, etc.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Your MAC address never gets encrypted. It's broadcast in the clear.

If I was at your house, I could sniff your traffic, clone your mac address, and crack your wep encryption in less than ten minutes.

I have MAC filtering setup on my wireless router, too. It can't hurt, and defense in depth is always better. Your average wardriver is simply looking for free wireless, and will typically move on to an access point that doesn't have encryption. Like someone looking for valuables in your car, if the car is locked and has a blinking LED for an alarm, they're going to find one that's unlocked. Doesn't mean that there's not a way to pick the lock, or use a slim jim, and alarms can be bypassed. There's no such thing as absolute security, just make it more difficult than the next guy.

A great way for making a harder to crack password is to take a phrase, like "What Would Jesus Do", add some numbers and punctuation, and come up with something like: "45wwjd?" That's what I do when I need an easy to remember stronger password.

Cheers!

[i think you might want to configure your AVG to run in the background and disable the auto update feature. If your AVG is working properly then you shouldn't need to have a scheduled scan. Every auto feature is disabled on mine including scheduled scan. Depends on how you use your computer. Both 7.5 and 8 will change colors or flash when an update is available. You can manually download the updates at your convenience.

My AVG is 7.x? Free Edition. I'm thinking that the update and scan features are fixed and unchageable with the free version. Could be mistaken. I'll have to check.

Is yours the free 7.x? Or the purchased version?

It's the free version. Go to Control Center, up on top click on View, select Extended Mode, now click on the large Scheduler box located towards middle right, at the bottom click on Scheduled Tasks, Scheduled Tasks box will open, click on "Test plan in basic mode" once to highlight, click Edit Schedule at the bottom, uncheck the dialog box and click OK at bottom, repeat for "Update plan in Basic mode", both should come up as "task is disabled" if done correctly under Next Start column. Hope this helps.

"Burns" rubber

I was using AVG's free addition till they updated it. Biggest mistake I made updating (I'm still on dial up). It brought my computer to a crawl. I had to uninstall it. After searching, I decided to try Avast. It seems OK, but it updates every day and locks everything up when it does, but does not tell me that it's doing it. My computer will also freeze up (using Firefox) and I have to click the help button (or any button on top) to free it. I think that is due to Avast because it never did it before. I'm also running ZoneAlarm.

Archived