CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help - 2000 Seville won't crank over

DaveCarter

I get intermittent no start no crank condition. usually if I try every couple of seconds it'll start. This morning first thing in A.M. it wouldn't crank over. Codes R1255 and B3005 were on. I cleared them and still wouldn't crank. Used wife's car and she tried it an hour later and it cranked up like it was brand new. I've researched the site and saw some references to spraying WD40 on key, but those seemed to be for mid-90's caddy's. Anyone got any idea what would do this on a 2000 seville and how I can fix? Will WD40 do it?

Thanks,

Dave

WD40 is not going to do anything for your key. The only DTC with the number 1250 is P1250 and that is not related to your problem. And I don't find a B3005 but the B30xx codes all relate to the PASSKEY logic one way or another.

The circuit includes the ignition / start switch, the Park-Neutral swich, and two relays in the underhood box labeled START 1 and START 2. The PASSKEY logic controls the ground for the two relays.

Try moving the shift lever with the key in the start position.

And check the two relays for corrosion or damage. You could swap in a similar relay as a test.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would also check the battery terminals for corrosion and tightness. A loose or corroded connection at the battery will cause all kinds of electrical gremlins.

Thanks Jim and Paul,

B code was B3055, not B3005. I'll try the gearshift thing again next time it happens, and check the relays for corrosion as soon as I get home.. Can the key become worn and not engage properly?

B3055 - Key Not Present

If you have another key, see if that key will also fail to allow the engine to crank. If both keys will randomly fail to crank the engine, that would point to a problem in the PASSKEY module.

If you can tie the problem to a single key, that would be a good thing to have happen.

The PASSKEY 3 system uses a transponder buried in the plastic key handle. In operation, the key must be fully inserted into the lock and the transponder must be sending the correct coded data before the system will allow the starter to spin. If a plastic key handle is damaged, it is possible the transponder would be compromised by moisture or whatever else is in your pocket/purse.

The PK2 system used a resistor in the key shaft and WD40 would help with dirty resistor contacts. Not so with PK3.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you and your wife are using different keys......

I will bet that it is "YOUR" key.

You tried it... got code... B3055 - Key Not Present

Your wife tried it a little later... it started for her.

As JimD said... next time it fails for YOU... try the wifes key.

I bet her key will work. :D

Posted Image

Sorry to take so long to give feedback Jim.

OK, been using the spare key, and its only failed to crank one time. I got codes R1255, B3055, B1009 and B2734. I waited a full minute before trying to crank again and it cranked right over, so I'm stumped as to what the problem could be...whatever it is it is clearly intermittent.

Dave

What about the cam crank sensors ??? They do go bad and the car will not start... That was listed ad a problem item on my car fax for my 2000 and I did have them go out on my sls..

Michael

Bad CAM sensors would give codes...

I get the security codes once in a while(B3055 - Key Not Present and another one I can't remember), I always said I would just bypass it if it got too bad.... There is kits/relay that you buy for installing remote starters etc, they will by pass the security for this.... at this point you might want to consider it if it in fact the PassKey system because it is extremely expensive to have fixed.

-steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the problem resurfaced only now the car won't crank at all. I get B1009 and B2734 codes. Anyone got any ideas...car is at work and most garages are closed for labor day weekend....

Well, the problem resurfaced only now the car won't crank at all. I get B1009 and B2734 codes. Anyone got any ideas...car is at work and most garages are closed for labor day weekend....

B2734 - Coded Key Controller Memory Failure

It is looking like a bad key, or Pass Key module issue.

The dealer should be able to fix it easy. Unfortunately, bad weekend to try to get anything done.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Dave,

Did you find an answer to the problem? I am going through the exact same thing with my 2001 SLS. It has been a problem since I purchased it 50,000 miles ago. It used to happen rarely and turn over after a short wait period. Now the problem happens more frequently (once a month) and lasts longer. I have taken the car to the dealership twice and they cannot find a problem. They say that unless they can see the car when the issue exists, they cannot really determine the issue.

Yesterday, I tried to start the car. No crank. For the next 24 hours I tried everything. I jumped the car, I disconnected and reconnected the battery after checking the terminals, I checked all the fuses and relays, I left the key in the "on" position for 15 minutes. This was the longest the problem ever persisted. This time I thought for sure it was not going to start and finally bit the bullet and called a tow truck to come and take it back to the dealer so maybe they could finally figure this out.

Well, late this afternoon, the tow truck arrived and I thought I'd crank it just one more time.....and the darn thing started and works perfectly now. Had to pay the tow guy 50 bucks for showing up. Probably wont see the problem again for another month or so and when I am far away from home.

If you figure it out, can you let me know?

• 2 weeks later...

B2734 - Coded Key Controller Memory Failure

It is looking like a bad key, or Pass Key module issue.

The dealer should be able to fix it easy. Unfortunately, bad weekend to try to get anything done.

This is way tooooo weird. I have a 95 sts doing the same thing and I also own an 04 DTS......they're both black like yours.

I loaned my STS to someone who's car was in the body shop, she had to travel out of town and when she returned the car wouldn't start. Everything acts like it is fine, I do not have the codes you do, but it just won't crank. It's been sitting for a few months, I finally have time to work on it. I've turned the key hundreds of time after cleaning connections, checking fuses and popping relays in and out. All of a sudden it did start once, I let it run for just a minute cause I wanted to check the fluids...........and now nothing again.

I did find a "multi-plug" down by the frame next to the trany on the drivers side that was filled with oil today. I was excited thinking this had to be it, but no good after cleaning it with contact cleaner.

Please post what you find out.........I'm stumped!!!!

Archived