CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

idle speed control

sndnappi

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN IDLE SPEED CONROL MOTOR AND THE IDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR. BECAUSE I TOLD MY MECHANIC WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY IDLE HOW IT JUMPS UP WHEN I DRIVE AND I HAVE TO HIT THE GAS PEDAL FOR IT TO GO DOWN AND HE SAID IT WAS MY IDLE AIR CONTROL BUT SOMEONE ON THIS SITE RECOMMENDED TO ME THAT IT COULD BE THE ISC MOTOR

IM SO CONFUSED. IS THAT JUST ANOTHER NAME FOR IT?

O think he misspoke when he said the idle air control; I think that's a carburetor adjustment for lean-rich adjustment at idle. The idle speed control (ISC) is a stepping motor on your throttle body, of course. It sounds like your ISC or throttle cable is sticking.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

does this car even have an idle air control??

Yes. I had a major problem with idling and it turned out it was the Idle Speed Control Actuator. In my situation, the idle was all over the place. At times it was up to 2000 rpm and at times it would idle fine. Most of the time idle was unstable. I replaced ISCA and it immediately idled perfectly. You can buy the part at Rockauto, which has pretty good prices.

ISC motor is a small stepper motor that pushes on the throttle linkage to control idle speed. The IAC valve is a small valve on the side of the TB on the '96 or '97 + engines that controls an air passage or circuit that bypasses the closed throttle plate to control idle speed.

ISC motor is a small stepper motor that pushes on the throttle linkage to control idle speed. The IAC valve is a small valve on the side of the TB on the '96 or '97 + engines that controls an air passage or circuit that bypasses the closed throttle plate to control idle speed.

OK, however, with respect to the '93 4.9L, the Idle Air Control Valve is interchangeable with Idle Speed Control Actuator. Actually, RockAuto advertises the Idle Air Control Valve as the same thing. I don't know about the 96+ Northstars. I think we're talking about the same thing, just saying it differently. You're describing what the Idle Air Control Valve does.

They are using the wrong terms. BIG difference between the ISC motor and an IAC valve. The 4.9 uses the ISC motor. Your link is definitely ans ISC motor.

They are using the wrong terms. BIG difference between the ISC motor and an IAC valve. The 4.9 uses the ISC motor. Your link is definitely ans ISC motor.

Just to clarify, here is a 1997 Seville Idle Air Control Valve. It's indeed a totally different part than the Idle Speed Control Motor (ISC Motor). Thus, in proper terms, sndnappi's problem would be with the ISC Motor. And according to GM's factory Service Manual (pg. 6E-2, See #2), ISC Motor is the correct term. So sndnappi should look to replace the ISC Motor, which is likely causing the idling problem. Perhaps cleaning the Throttle Body butterfly valve may help, but I tend to think the ISC Motor needs to be replaced.

Archived