CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to add the coolant temp to your DIC

JasonA

Guys,

These instructions are for 1997 E/K series Cadillacs (Eldorado and Seville). The Deville already has the DIC display if I recall correctly. This is not available on later model years...not sure when the "cutoff" date is...

1) Press the OFF and PASS WARMER (referred to from here as WARMER) buttons simultaneously to enter diagnostic mode.

2) Let the system read any codes it has stored. You will ultimately be presented with "PCM?". You will answer with the fan speed control button. UP = yes and DOWN = no.

3) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC?". On mine, it's the very next prompt. When you get to the "IPC?" prompt, press UP to enter the IPC area (Instrument Panel Cluster).

4) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC OVERRIDE?". Press UP to enter the override area.

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option E. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads. Yours will probably read "43". That's what mine read when I first did this.

Below are the Option E values:

- Coolant Temp message (64)

- Battery Volts message (32)

- Engine RPM message (16)

- Avg Mph message (8)

- Mph message (4)

- Fuel Used message (2)

- Inst Mpg message (1)

The stock displays (for analog E/K displays) are Battery Volts, Avg Mph, Fuel Used, and Inst Mpg, for a total value of "43".

6) Use the WARMER button to increment the value of the override. In this case, we want to add Coolant Temp, so we're going to add "64" to "43", or "107". Press the WARMER button repeatedly to increment the value from "43" to "107".

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the COOLER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

Now, the coolant temp (in units specified) should be one "stop" along the revolving door we call the DIC. :) If you are in metric units, the coolant temp will read in *C. If you are in standard units, it'll read in *F.

Good luck!

BTW: the book warns against incorrectly storing an override value to the system. It said you can permanently damage the IPC by doing this. I don't know how, and have never heard of anyone doing damage to their car, but the book says the danger exists. It says if you ever make a mistake, repeatedly press OFF to completely exit the diagnostic system and start over again.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

This is one approach for how to limit the number of forums while maintaining a separate how-to list. One can reach the how-to section by using the drop-down list box at the bottom right of any forum, or through search, or through a moved-to link.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm bringing this subject back from the ashes -

I have a 2002 ETC, and want to be able to read the coolant temperature on the DIC.

I've read through the archives and there are posts that show that this won't work with a '98 or newer car - although I did enable the temp readout on my '98 ETC (RIP).

Does this procedure work with the 2002?

THANKS

I've added 80 (Coolant Temp message (64) + Engine RPM message (16), to the original "43". The

Coolant Temp works fine. What's the "Engine RPM message" ?

- Coolant Temp message (64)

- Battery Volts message (32)

- Engine RPM message (16)

- Avg Mph message (8)

- Mph message (4)

- Fuel Used message (2)

- Inst Mpg message (1)

The stock displays (for analog E/K displays) are Battery Volts, Avg Mph, Fuel Used, and Inst Mpg, for a total value of "43".

rek

Archived