CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How high are gas prices going to go?

daniel812

This country is RUN on GREED, and there is an endless supply of that commodity.

Dave

I can understand how you might feel that way, but let's be realistic for a moment. This country is run on entrepreneurial capitalism and I would hope there is an endless supply of that.

It's interesting you mentioned coal. Did you know that Senator Byrd (of West Virginia) was instrumental in passing legislation that favored those dangerous underground coal mines in his state at the expense of above ground "strip" mines out west that produce more coal at less cost with less employee danger? And less employees?

Yes, politics are involved; just as with corn.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't find much argument with you there. Ethanol, hydrogen, hybrids . . . all scams in large part. There's some hope for hybrids in the short term however.

I'd have to disagree a little bit on a couple of those. I think the whole point of ethanol was to let oil companies and the middle east know that we do have other options and we will use them if they keep doing what they are doing. It may not be cost effective, but it is cutting some of the fossil fuels out.

Hydrogen is a great idea, we just need to work on it a little bit. It's clean burning and it's free to make if you do it the right way. Right now in Minot we have wind turbines creating electricity to a hydrogen refueling station that converts water into hydrogen. A completely free setup besides the water of course.

I really don't believe in hybrids. I'm not much of an environmentalist at all but what goes into making those batteries is just horrid. The waste from the factory’s that make the batteries is just insane! The weird thing is, they usually get the same fuel economy on the highway as any other economy car. Now if you had a bio-diesel hybrid, that would be the way to go.

Electric cars I believe are not even close to being ready to be put on the market. First of all, we haven't gotten away from creating electricity from fossil fuels so you're going be still out of luck in that department. The batteries are just like ones in the hybrid vehicles and I really don't think that we have made a battery yet that can hold a charge long enough for most of our driving styles.

I think the best thing to do right now is lay off the gas pedal. When I drive to work everyday 95% of the people driving around me put the pedal to the floor and speed up as fast as they can to get to the next stop light. I take my time and drive very nicely. And where do we end up? The SAME stop light again! It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Why drive like that? Are they trying to look “cool?” Or are they just not realizing what they are doing? I believe that if everyone would slow down and start driving nicer, we would see a drastic drop in gas consumption. But, good luck trying to get everyone to drive nicer.

It doesn’t really matter what technology automakers come out with anyway because 90% of use won’t be able to afford those vehicles anyway.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

This country is RUN on GREED, and there is an endless supply of that commodity.

Dave

I can understand how you might feel that way, but let's be realistic for a moment. This country is run on entrepreneurial capitalism and I would hope there is an endless supply of that.

It's interesting you mentioned coal. Did you know that Senator Byrd (of West Virginia) was instrumental in passing legislation that favored those dangerous underground coal mines in his state at the expense of above ground "strip" mines out west that produce more coal with less employee danger?

Yes, politics are involved; just as with corn.

Regards,

Warren

Warren, please dont get me wrong. I am all for private enterprise. But when some industries or companies have the power to dictate to others engaged in the same or similar enterprise how they will operate and get government backing in the process, to me is just wrong. As an example, (maybe overused), but Wal-Mart can and does control the suppliers it does business with. Rubbermaid had been in business a long time and doing just fine, before they got hooked up with Wally World. When they enlarged their production capacity to meet WM orders, WM pulled the lower your prices or else we will reduce shelf space ploy. When RM couldn't, WM told them to move operations to China, where I suspect WM gets some great benifits. I'm not sure, but I think at the end, RM had a cutback, bankruptcy or closed down. Anyway this is getting off topic, and I have probably read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" once too often. I don't agree with the political agenda he wrote the book for, but I do beleive he was right in the way many of the large and small business's and governments work. From the meat packers to the local bars and the political corruption strewn all over them and us, from the cop on the beat, to congress (ie: Byrd) and the president.

Dave

P.S. Maybe I should have used ENRON instead of Wal-Mart.

P.S. Maybe I should have used ENRON instead of Wal-Mart.

ENRON !?!

Bernie Ebers should only ROT QUIETLY IN HELL !!!

No, Wal-Mart was quite sufficient.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

QUOTE:

"BWXT currently has a contract with the DOE at its Lynchburg Technology Center where it has demonstrated that spent nuclear fuel can be temporarily stored, transferred and repackaged safely and securely."

Okay, they can safely store it (temporarily, and apparently, in the U.S.). I'm still looking for that "near zero" waste thing. Can't find it. <_< Open loop Marika, not a closed one.

Regards,

Warren

Under GNEP, the DOE is seeking industry’s interest in a Nuclear Fuel Recycling Center and an Advanced Recycling Reactor to close the nuclear fuel cycle in the United States. This recycling initiative will make nuclear energy a truly sustainable energy resource.

Can you SEE it now? :ph34r:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I bought premium yesterday and paid $3.19/gallon. Funny, when I bought this car in August, 2003, premium was $1.69/gallon. :wipetears

I think the only reason gas is so cheap where I buy it is because there are five gas stations within two blocks that compete against each other. They hold each others prices down, at least somewhat.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I bought REGULAR for my work van yesterday. Paid 3.13.

That was the cheapest gas I found all day.

Cost me EIGHTY DOLLARS to fill it up with REGULAR.

I have to do that two or three times a WEEK.

In a month's time I use a lot of gas. That hurts.

Posted Image

THE SHELL V- POWER WHICH I USE IS NOW $3.69 9/10g IN CONNECTICUT. HOW MUCH IS YOUR PREMIUM OR V- POWER?

Premium is $3.40 to $3.50 a gallon at most stations around here. Dallas area.

Posted Image

THE SHELL V- POWER WHICH I USE IS NOW $3.69 9/10g IN CONNECTICUT. HOW MUCH IS YOUR PREMIUM OR V- POWER?

Premium is $3.40 to $3.50 a gallon at most stations around here. Dallas area.

REALLY WOW I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE ALOT CHEAPER IN TEXAS. WELL ATLEAST WERE ALL GETTING SCREWED EQUALLY :fighting0025::)

There is no question that i have modified my driving style, I am driving the speed limit much more and not pushing at all to get up to speed, etc, the other day i was surprised to see mixed driving at 17.3 MPG.

Keep you tires as HARD as possible, experiment with 35 cold and see how your handling is in both dry and wet handling and adjust from there, but check your air often. Take all the excess weight out of your trunk, and don't use REGULAR if your engine calls for PREMIUM. I am using the middle grade 89 octane, not 87. Don't be temped to use 87 unless your engine calls for it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

There is no question that i have modified my driving style, I am driving the speed limit much more and not pushing at all to get up to speed, etc, the other day i was surprised to see mixed driving at 17.3 MPG.

Keep you tires as HARD as possible, experiment with 35 cold and see how your handling is in both dry and wet handling and adjust from there, but check your air often. Take all the excess weight out of your trunk, and don't use REGULAR if your engine calls for PREMIUM. I am using the middle grade 89 octane, not 87. Don't be temped to use 87 unless your engine calls for it.

I switched to 90 from regular and started driving nicer, but surprisingly got worse fuel economy. Not quite sure how that happened...

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

• 2 months later...
last comment on this thread was when gas was $3 per gallon. Now that it is $4 per gallon are you driving less or at least differently or slower?

I never drive more than I have to. I run all my errands on the way to work or on the way home from work.

Frankly, there's nothing I could do to cut my mileage.

The price of gas, however, is another matter. Some folk at my workplace have begun to speak of not being able to continue working here because of the long commute. I feel badly for them. My commute is 45 miles round trip so I understand.

Oil prices are not likely to come down much in the future. Quite the opposite, in fact. We'd best get used to it.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I switched to 90 from regular and started driving nicer, but surprisingly got worse fuel economy. Not quite sure how that happened...

Isn't your engine designed to run on regular? I found this on WikeAnswers to explain, why

Will using a higher octane fuel increase the car's miles-per-gallon rate?

In: Fuel Economy and Mileage

Answer

It depends upon the car.

Most typical vehicles don't improve mileage when running a higher octane gas. They don't have enough compression to justify the higher octane.

Even in the rare cases a car does get better mileage than it might on lower octane, the improvement doesn't justify the cost.

Some performance cars benefit from higher octane fuels. The realized benefit isn't better mileage; it's better power.

For lots of great information, read the original Gasoline FAQ: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/

Answer

It will neither increase your mileage nor your power. High-octane fuel is simply a cleaner version of the hydrocrabons used in regular unleaded fuel. It cuts down on the knocking because it is more resistant to self-ingnition. And knocking as many unfortunate people have found out, damages your engine. However, not all cars are able to handle high-octane fuels. Typically, cars made before 1986 are not equipped to run on high-octane fuel. Owners should check with their local dealer or manufacturer before using high-octane, or premium fuel, in their cars made before 1986.

Answer

For most cars the answer is NO. Higher octane fuels burn slower so unless you can increase your initial advance you will not see any difference. Also when a vehicle is tuned to use lower octane fuel a higher octane will create carbon deposits and over time will cause engine ware, overheating, and poorer fuel economy. Todays igitions are computer controled many are distributorless so we shade tree mechanics can't mess with them. Many of todays vehicles recommend 91 octane but can use 89 or 87 if you don't hot rod them or over load them, more than two people.

Answer

No, just the opposite. Lower octane fuels, say 87 pctane, have more hydrocarbons than higher octane fuels, say 91 octane, because the higher octane fuels have had non-hydrocarbon additives put in that reduce the capability to have the highest "burn" otherwise possible. The higher octanes are for cars with high compression engines and they are there to prevent knocking, which can damage the engine. This information is taken from the American Petroleum Institure website

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

last comment on this thread was when gas was $3 per gallon. Now that it is $4 per gallon are you driving less or at least differently or slower?

Not much...Not yet. :D But I have always tried to combine trips/errends.

Regular here in Ft. Worth is now $3.60 to $3.70.

Premium is $4.00

Drove across town to meet my brother and his family Sat night to eat out. I was thinkng while driving... this is costing me about 10 bucks JUST FOR FUEL.

In the next two or three weeks, I am going to have to make a 2500 / 3000 mile trip to S. Carolina. Thats going to hurt the ole wallet a little bit.

Probably be around $600.00 bucks, (give ot take a little), just for fuel.

Posted Image

Drove across town to meet my brother and his family Sat night to eat out. I was thinkng while driving... this is costing me about 10 bucks JUST FOR FUEL.

Yeah, it's the first time in my life I've had to consider gas as a cost of or measure of friendship. Oh well, something else to get used to. Gas prices will come down at the end of the summer, but NOT to a level we were once used to.

Here's hoping your oil stocks are doing well.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. psst ... your gold also.

Posted Image

The retards in the government here are closing down all the nuclear power we have step by step..

Instead we are importing Polish coal-power...dirty as xxx

And now the brain-washed idiots says that the gasoline much be cheap here in Sweden since there are no organized resistance against raised gasoline prices.

About 75% of the price is taxes...that makes the price here among the highest on earth..If you just look at what the oil-companies are getting it is among the lowest prices on earth..Sick country this.

Distances of 80 miles per day just for the daily commuting are quite normal..

They are talking about raising the price to about 17$/US gallon to make an effort for the environment..all the flower-hugging morons says that we should all live in a town and walk or use the bicycle...yeah right. Tell that to the people in the north of Sweden who drive 600 miles/week just to get to work..

Distances of 80 miles per day just for the daily commuting are quite normal..

They are talking about raising the price to about 17$/US gallon to make an effort for the environment..all the flower-hugging morons says that we should all live in a town and walk or use the bicycle...yeah right. Tell that to the people in the north of Sweden who drive 600 miles/week just to get to work..

Jan,

I kind of know what you mean about long commutes. I feel your pain.

I do IT service work for a major US bank.

It is not unusual for me to drive 200 to 300 miles a day working on equipment at various locations. On average I use about 75 to 100 gallons A WEEK. My 2006 Chevy van I use for work gets about 16/17 MPG.

My compensation from the company, for mileage, has not increased in THREE YEARS.

I constantly hear, from politicians, ... USE PUBLIC TRANSIT... USE SMALLER CAR...CAR POOL ... LIVE CLOSER TO WORK.

For me, that is not possible. I know our fuel is still a LOT cheaper than yours, but our price for fuel has DOUBLED in cost over the last two to three years.

My brother owns a big Peterbilt 18 wheeler transport truck.

Gets, at BEST, 6 MPG. Usually closer to 5 MPG.

His fuel costs are $500.00 to $600.00 A DAY.

It is stupid Gov policy and speculators that are driving up the prices. It is hurting a lot of people.

Posted Image

Yeah, it's the first time in my life I've had to consider gas as a cost of or measure of friendship. Oh well, something else to get used to. Gas prices will come down at the end of the summer, but NOT to a level we were once used to.

Here's hoping your oil stocks are doing well.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. psst ... your gold also.

I know what you mean about the cost of friendship. :) Have thought about driving out to West Texas to see my cousin. It would take two tanks of gas at $60 bucks a tank. $120 dollars just for a quick day trip.

Yeah, the prices may come down a FEW CENTS at the end of summer... but they have went up about a DOLLAR. :wipetears In the last year.

I wish I had been smart enough to have bought oil stocks a few years ago but I wasn't. Darn it. :)

Posted Image

I paid $3.959 for regular today for my 97 Deville. Around here it had been $3.999 for regular then it dropped a few cents. Just bought a 2003 Excursion about 3 weeks ago with the V10. Have not filled the 44 gallon tank yet. I tried to get the dealer to fill the tank up before I drove it off the lot but they just laughed and filled it half way up. We have been keeping it at about half a tank. It does get better mpg than my 96 F250 with a 460 V8 though.

I would sure like a hybrid STS. The Escalade hybrid reaches an average of 23 mpg. Imagine what that system could do with a Northstar engine. 30-40 mpg?

The hybrid design is a great way to increase mpg but let's not forget that the total environment impact must be calculated.

I read somewhere that a Toyota Prius and a GMC Hummer are equally good/bad for the environment in their lifetime.

Sure the Hummer uses a lot more gasoline but the Prius demanded a lot more energy for transports and manufacturing during it's birth than the Hummer so the sums of energy wasted equals....

Anyway I don't like Toyotas :P

Archived