CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Logans fake DTS

Logan

Previous car. 1993 Cadillac Seville 4.9l. Modified with '94-97 chrome grille and SLS trunk tag. 32northstar tag. '95 chrome Eldo wheels. STS wood shifter plate. STS full wood door panels. Sold at 203K miles.

Current car. 2001 Cadillac Deville modified as a fake DTS.

Logans fake DTS

Purchased mid July 2003 with 65K miles. As is. $17K. Currently at 81K miles.

The original plan was to update some emblems to a fake DHS. Plans change...

DTS wheels. EBay/ $525. Found a misprinted eBay listing for the wheels...2 1/2 minutes before end of auction. Very lucky buy. Whew..

Michelens. Best price found was with www.tires.com (discount tires) + michelin free dvd player promo.

DTS wood steering wheel. $60 'buy now' on eBay.

DTS nightvision grille. EBay $60.

The DTS has painted lower front/rear bumpers and the rockers are painted body color. Also rear chrome plate area must be painted. Used Dupont Chromabase/clear system with excellent results.

Install DTS emblems...maybe $50 for all the emblems.

Black out upper chrome trim on windows.

Basic stuff...some plugs have been put in, new fuel filter, front rotors and pads, oil, wax, wiper blades etc....asked for and got new factory floormats for xmas.

Problems........so far....

1st day home. Radio/amp died. Our Tech2 could not get the system to clear. A battery disconnect/reset had the system going again.

Steering clunk. Steering column intermediate shaft nicks....root cause is nicks cause slip/stick clunk. Pretty bad crap on a $44K car new. There is a TSB on this...but it does not fix the root cause.

Delco battery....strange failure...lights would dim for 1/2 second driving at highway speed. Toward the end it was affecting the trans gears also. New battery at thanksgiving fixed that. Still have that battery and its leaking. So...look like it was a bad battery.

Crank 'B' sensor. Intermittant code. Sensor was from the 'ok' date code. Put one in I had sitting around from the 'bad' date code....ok now 3 months so far...

Oh yeah...had to replace the drivers side rocker since this photo. The rear 5 inches of the rocker disappeared.....car wash?

About $95 shipped unpainted to my door from www.gmparts direct.com

Nice work of art there Logan, one thing about it, someone steals it, we can find it fast! Only one like it.

A friend of mine has a Eldorado, 1999 so far he has had 4 new battery's from GM all leaked! Then, he bought one, same thing, that was five. No. six he bought was some aftermarket and he reports no leaks.

Now he is looking for a way to fix his drive and floor from the acid leaks.

And by the way, my mysterious PO36 speed sensor problem. Came back after another sit for 30 days in Body shop. (The Deer) after a 2 week drive around it went off and stayed off again. So, It must have something to do with sitting.

Car runs fine again. Still no clue.

MC

Very nice car Logan! ;) Lot of nice add-ons to make one nice ride... $525 on those wheels... you got VERY lucky on that deal! :o

Nice documentation of your history and improvements. Any pics of the front angle?

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

yah - way to go Logan. You're a king at eBay . $525 for chrome DTS wheels was a steal. So was that wood wheel. Start sending e-mails to eBay about opening up a lottery or something. You're sure bet to win.

happy trails,

~Doc

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice if you never said I would have never known it wasn't a real DTS looks awsome nice work!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The base Deville uses plastic wood.

The DHS and DTS use real wood.

The wood steering wheel matches the plastic wood better then the real wood.

The real wood is like a dark walnut.

In the picture you can see the steering wheel and shifter match the plastic wood. The console wood is the darker real wood. Note: the floor shifter was added to this car.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/376867...78988_caddy.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived