CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'91 Seville stalls when warm

jomama

I have a '91 seville that stalls/ loses spark when it reaches normal operating temperature. I checked the codes and it shows a history of EO12, relating to no distributor signal and EO53 relating to the distributor signal interrupt. The car runs perfect up to the point that it shuts down and gives no warning that it's about to shut down...It just dies. After it shuts down if I wait till it cools down then it will start and run fine until it warms up again. I'm not sure where to go from here.....Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Just a guess but my money is on an ignition module going bad when it heats up (contacts expanding or something on that order). Isn't the module mounted in the distributor cap?

Have you checked the ditributor cap and rotor? That can cause a code 53 or 12. A bad ignition coil can cause a code 12. A bad pickup coil can cause a code 53. I would start with a new cap and rotor, make sure it is a kit that comes with a new brush. One time I was getting stalling problems, and it was because of a worn down brush. If that dosen't work, check the ignition coil. All these parts are pretty cheap. You can buy a cap and rotor for about $17, and an ignition coil for about $20 from Advance. An Ac delco pickup coil goes for about $25 from autozone, but it's a pain to install becuase you have to remove the distributor.

You need to check the pickup coil on the distributor. I think you need to pull the distributor to replace it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My '93 did that occasionally until I did an idle learn procedure for the benefit of the throttle position sensor. No more problems out of it.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Archived