CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

what color carriage top should I choose?

BennyFazio

Can anyone help by giving me an opinion. I just purchased a pristine 2000 Deville DTS. I would like to add Vogue tires and Vogue center caps to the existing factory wheel and I would like to add a carriage top as well. The problem is, the car is Bronzemist and Im not really sure what color top matches with that. Any opinions? Most opinions I get around here are people telling me NOT to add the top or wheels and just keep it sporty. ahhhhhhhh!!! someone help me!

Thanks,

Benny

I wouldn't add a top because it'll really hurt the resale value. But if you drive the car until it's junk, that wouldn't matter. If you are dead set on a top, I think maybe a light brown, or a black would match. Brown would look better

I wouldn't add a top because it'll really hurt the resale value. But if you drive the car until it's junk, that wouldn't matter. If you are dead set on a top, I think maybe a light brown, or a black would match. Brown would look better

I agree, you really should not add anything to the top of the car, one guy posted here that his top ripped off the roof while he was driving down the road however, I think something in the brown family would look best.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The tops can look nice, but they do negatively affect resale value because most people who are potential buyers down the road will either not like the color or style that you pick or not like the top at all. Some might think it looks wonderful, but they would be in the minority. Over time many of these tops also become difficult to maintain and to keep looking in new condition.

Take a look at the completed Ebay auctions as an example of how a top will affect resale - in almost every case the "cleantop" original cars that have approximately the same equipment/condition/miles, etc. will sell for more and have more bidders than will a car that has the faux top installed.

So as suggested, if you plan to keep the car for a long time and don't mind taking a hit on resale value do what ever you think looks nice to you, but you end up paying for it twice - once to have the top installed and again at resale.

Benny I would not even think twice about what the resale value is going to be. Put the top on and personalize it the way YOU want. Life is too short to worry about resale value. Enjoy it while you have it.

By the time I sell my car it will either not be running or I will make more money selling it for parts. If you worry only about resale value you would never buy a new car. I figure 90% of this board bought their car used. Buy it, personalize it, and drive it like you stole it.

I'm not a huge fan of mock tops. Personally (and this is just MHO), I think they look ridiculous on a sedan.

However, to each his own. There seem to be plenty of people out there who disagree with me.

I'm curious, though, if anyone has ever tried removing one of these things.

Does the installer drill holes in the top to fasten them? Is it possible to remove them and have the car original again, or is a repaint of those areas covered required?

I've seen a few "topped" cars on ebay that I would otherwise have considered purchasing. If I was reasonably sure that they were reversible, I might take a second look at those cars.

Resale? Depends on where you are, too. Here in Cleveland the top would probably increase the resale value! My 95 has a mock top that was put on when it was new and it's held up well, just take care of it like you would a vinyl or convertible top. I've added chrome wheels and Vogues as well and love the look. I'd match the top color to your interior.

I think the new style deville looks badass with a top, vogue tires and the aftermarket grill. The color configurations that I have seen that look unbelievable ( I think) are white with a blue top and that light blue color with a brown top. I think they look real classy ( as long as they are the right colors)

As for your DTS, i looked up the color, that's a tough one. I think you should definately go with a darker color on the top like Dan said.

But definately make sure you talk to the company or dealer who is going to do the job to find out if it is removable or what modifications they make.

Additionally, make sure they are respectable and try to go to the lot and look at sampling of there work.

I have removed a half top from an 85 eldo and there were no holes ( besides rust).

I think you should go for the top though.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

one guy posted here that his top ripped off the roof while he was driving down the road however

That would be ME...... I was doing about 65 mph on the LIE and BAM, it ripped off in an instant and hit the car behind me, my car went from beautiful to POS that fast!!!

However it was MY fault, I did not know that they could come off like that, and I was hearing a rattling up there for a couple of months, I should have investigated it, but that was the winter of 2002/2003 where the weather was horrible, so I ignored it, and should not have!

I still have the car and am considering spraying the top, but I have to fill all the rivet holes first. Mike

Please if you want the top, get it. The top in my opinion is what really makes cadillacs and lincolns look so much better then most cars. When im in my 20's I plan on buying a 2000-2004 Deville w/ the works done to it.

I personally have a 92' Cortillian sp??? White Deville with a Dark brown Top and Vogue tyres but not wheels. While the top it 12 years old, when I got it 3 weeks ago it had some mold type stuff on it. I brushed it with soap and water and it truely looks brand new.

I say go for it, your biggest resale hit has already occured and for the $700-900 bill this will cost in MHO I say it looks a million times better.

Edit to scotty: Did you find the reason why yours flew off, it must have really been a poorly installed top. There are screw points that can be used to tighten the tops too.

564998_4_full.jpg

Edit to scotty: Did you find the reason why yours flew off, it must have really been a poorly installed top. There are screw points that can be used to tighten the tops too.

THe car is a 91 and it came off in Jan 2003. From what I can see the top was riveted into place at a bunch of places on the top, rivets no screws.

What I have found out is that caddy dealers send them out to aftermarket installers and that is what happened in my case.

I have tried to have it replaced and have gotten a price of $1250 which is not worth it for me.

Mine flew off because the rivets over the windshield broke loose and wind got under it and ripped it off like a sail.

I have found out since this happened that it is a VERY common occurance, Mike

Either as close to the body color as possible or contrasting. The trim that is used IMO will make more difference than the color. Some looks real good and some look cheap.

I had a dark blue 90 Linc. TC W/a tan 1/2 top and I think it was one of the better looking cars I have had.

Your the one driving it so make it like you like it. Theres darn few things in this world you can make the way you like so have fun.

I recently had the front windshield replaced on my '95 Eldorado (metallic shale with a black canvas top . . . I think it looks sharp).

Imagine my surprise when the glass guy said, "Be greatful its the front and not the rear windshield you're replacing." He went on to explain that replacing the rear windshield would run about $4,000 and take several weeks!

Needs to go to the body shop for top removal, back to the glass shop, then back to the body shop for top replacement . . . .

Just something to think about.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Of course, outside of Long Island it would likely be considerably less expensive.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the rear window - The windshield is far more likely to need replacing than the rear window.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived