CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HEAL-A-SEAL

funk62

I have noticed that my coolant tank smells like exhaust
Your nose makes a test strip at the radiator shop unnecessary. :(

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry Jan, I didnt see this post from you. I know what you mean, but I feel that for the majority of cases, bolts pull, and clamping force is lessened and the head gasket is breached. I think the head gasket in these engines is a secondary problem. I have NO DOUBT that I will find pulled bolts in my engine.

I think the guru used to say that the coolant became acidic as it was not changed, it ATE or corroded the head gasket, allowing the coolant to get into the bolt holes corroding the threads. Then the bolt pulled.

BUT since my coolant has been changed ENDLESSLY, that is not the cause in my engine

The Guru did not limit the reason for a blown head gasket to acidic coolant. He also said that thermal fatigue in the form of "thermocycling" over time can weaken head gaskets, particularly during cold-starting and warming up the engine. And larger coolant swings when idling can also be a factor over time. Moreover, the Northstar engine was designed with head bolt thread engagement that exceeds the industry standard. The first generation Northstar head bolts were also designed to be long in order to maximize clamping ability.

It was the Guru's view that the "weak link" is the head gasket, not pulled head bolts. Although the Guru did not totally discount the possibility of head bolt problems, he made it clear that head bolts were not his concern. Rather, again, he maintained that the head gasket is the "weak link". Regarding the head bolt holes, the Guru said that chances of infiltration of coolant is very remote since each bolt is in its own sealed cavity.

Also, when a Northstar head gasket is replaced and Time-Serts installed, many believe that deteriorated threads upon removal of the head are a sign that the head bolts pulled. However, this is not necessarily the case since simply unscrewing head bolts can damage the aluminum threads thereby giving a false impression that the particular head bolt pulled.

I have noticed that my coolant tank smells like exhaust
Your nose makes a test strip at the radiator shop unnecessary. :(

Just curious... what if a human nose detects exhaust in the coolant before a special kit does? Anyone tried the both?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I am seriously thinking of joining the Hall. I go to sleep doing the job in my head, that is the first step for me. Today i started reading the FSM. As you all know, the problem for me when I do a job like this is limiting the replacing of virtually everything that I run into.

I have a BAD case half leak, and that problem alone really opens up the potential for this to be a big job. SO much so that I have mulled the idea of buying an engine from a scrap yard, but that is a crap shoot

I would really like to do this job, I am sure that I will learn so much

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Loss of coolant with no visible leaks.

Overheating under load (in the early stages).

Wet tail pipe.

Steam from the pipes (more than condensation on a cold day and smells like coolant).

Regular overheating and coolant being vented overboard.

"False boiling" - bubbles in the tank when cold like right after start up.

Surge tank smells like exhaust.

I don't have any of those symptoms of leaky head gasket, I just have cold starting problems. I will try replacing the spark plugs and see if that gets rid of it.

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

Loss of coolant with no visible leaks.

Overheating under load (in the early stages).

Wet tail pipe.

Steam from the pipes (more than condensation on a cold day and smells like coolant).

Regular overheating and coolant being vented overboard.

"False boiling" - bubbles in the tank when cold like right after start up.

Surge tank smells like exhaust.

I don't have any of those symptoms of leaky head gasket, I just have cold starting problems. I will try replacing the spark plugs and see if that gets rid of it.

I seriously doubt it...you may want to check your fuel pump relay ..if you haven't already done so.

Posted Image

To be sure I learned a lot when I Timeserted my motor - replaced everything that would wear out by 100K. Car has run like a dream since.

But, alas, I sold my engine hoist and stand and a young guy picked them up last night.

addillac -- comparing a nose with a test kit isn't a good idea. If a test kit finds combustion products in the coolant, then you are done, smell or no smell. If you smell exhaust odors in your coolant, you are done, and you can wager that a test kit will find combustion products in the coolant. I wouldn't rely on my nose because it hasn't been certified by the SAE as a reliable, repeatable test for cylinder head leakage. What I would say is that if someone as knowledgeable as you or I or BBF smell combustion products in the coolant, the game is over, and we don't need a test kit to verify what we smell. Before I spent time and $$$, though, a *real* test makes sense if there are no other symptoms, though. If I suspected head leakage and had no other symptoms, I would rule out a false smell from other sources (exhaust fumes drifting back from the rear of the car, a minor exhaust leak under the hood, etc.) by these checks:

• Does the exhaust smell of coolant just before or after starting the car in the morning?
  • Is the coolant level stable? Is coolant disappearing without a drip or boil-offs?
If I don't see any of these, I would get the coolant tested as an early warning. I like to plan big jobs, financially and as a project.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It was the Guru's view that the "weak link" is the head gasket, not pulled head bolts. Although the Guru did not totally discount the possibility of head bolt problems, he made it clear that head bolts were not his concern. Rather, again, he maintained that the head gasket is the "weak link". Regarding the head bolt holes, the Guru said that chances of infiltration of coolant is very remote since each bolt is in its own sealed cavity.

Also, when a Northstar head gasket is replaced and Time-Serts installed, many believe that deteriorated threads upon removal of the head are a sign that the head bolts pulled. However, this is not necessarily the case since simply unscrewing head bolts can damage the aluminum threads thereby giving a false impression that the particular head bolt pulled.

A couple of things here.. yes the guru said that, but the statistical evidence is mounting against that POV... every time that GM improved the head bolts the rate of head gasket failure decreased... dramatically in 2000 and down to next to nothing in 2004... hmm...

Second there is now lots of evidence where on some 96-99 blocks the bolt holes were so far gone that the could not be timeserted... sometime the block was so FUBAR'ed that even Bigserts didn't work... there is mounting evidence that both the bolts and block casting issues might be at play here.

Almost all of the head gasket/head bolt failures occure from 1995-1999... the number of gasket failures dramatically decrease from 2000-2003 and then the numbers drop to almost none 2004 and on.

The only changes that match these changes in the engine are the head bolts... the 2000 and 2004 blocks even use the same head gaskets and yet the 2004 version is WAY stronger then the 2000 engine.. hmm...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

A couple of things here.. yes the guru said that, but the statistical evidence is mounting against that POV... every time that GM improved the head bolts the rate of head gasket failure decreased... dramatically in 2000 and down to next to nothing in 2004... hmm...

Second there is now lots of evidence where on some 96-99 blocks the bolt holes were so far gone that the could not be timeserted... sometime the block was so FUBAR'ed that even Bigserts didn't work... there is mounting evidence that both the bolts and block casting issues might be at play here.

Almost all of the head gasket/head bolt failures occure from 1995-1999... the number of gasket failures dramatically decrease from 2000-2003 and then the numbers drop to almost none 2004 and on.

The only changes that match these changes in the engine are the head bolts... the 2000 and 2004 blocks even use the same head gaskets and yet the 2004 version is WAY stronger then the 2000 engine.. hmm...

I was thinking the same thing today Greg, that the head bolt change from 2000 on, improved the situation greatly, to me that would mean that the head bolts are the culprit before 2000

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Sounds like the company should have put a recall out and or fix everyones head bolts/head gaskets when they go. Yeah right like that would ever happen.

Sounds like the company should have put a recall out and or fix everyones head bolts/head gaskets when they go. Yeah right like that would ever happen.

Hi badrhino. There is a Cadillac campaign for some of the 1999 Northstar engines where the cylinder head bolt holes were drilled too far on the factory assembly line, eventually leading to head gasket failures. Cadillac is warrantying these engines if this problem exists. Contact Cadillac headquarters in Detroit and they will contact your local Cadillac dealer to make arrangements to have your car checked for this problem. If this problem does exist in your car, Cadillac will provide a loaner car and replace the engine free of charge.

Hi badrhino. There is a Cadillac campaign for some of the 1999 Northstar engines where the cylinder head bolt holes were drilled too far on the factory assembly line, eventually leading to head gasket failures. Cadillac is warrantying these engines if this problem exists. Contact Cadillac headquarters in Detroit and they will contact your local Cadillac dealer to make arrangements to have your car checked for this problem. If this problem does exist in your car, Cadillac will provide a loaner car and replace the engine free of charge.

Are you serious. Awsome.

I don't think I have that problem yet but that is nice to know. Why was it just on the 1999 Models? Does it matter if you are the original owner or not.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Why would GM "goodwill" a 10 year old gasket failure?

This is way past their resposiblility.

Once the HG is repaired, the robust Northstar should go for another 10 years ... its a strong motor.

Regarding the Northstar design changes in 2000 and newer models, I don't believe the headbolt issue was

completely cured

A few of the GM tech's on the other mb have started to see more of the post 2000 engines experiencing HG issues.

It seems that these models are starting to show up as the age and mileage accumulates.

The 1997-99 failures seem more common simply because they have been on the road longer, accumulating more

mileage, IMHO.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Are you serious. Awsome.

I don't think I have that problem yet but that is nice to know. Why was it just on the 1999 Models? Does it matter if you are the original owner or not.

You bet I'm serious. No, you don't have to be the original owner either.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Why would GM "goodwill" a 10 year old gasket failure?

This is way past their resposiblility.

Once the HG is repaired, the robust Northstar should go for another 10 years ... its a strong motor.

Hi Ted tcb. This is an official campaign from Cadillac. It's not any kind of wishful thinking. They are doing this with certain Northstar engines because of a manufacturing defect with the cylinder head bolt holes being drilled too far into the block, eventually allowing the cylinder head bolts to work loose, lose clamping force, with the resulting head gasket failures. It's not really a gasket failure as it is a manufacturing flaw that leads to a gasket failure.

Hi Ted tcb. This is an official campaign from Cadillac. It's not any kind of wishful thinking. They are doing this with certain Northstar engines because of a manufacturing defect with the cylinder head bolt holes being drilled too far into the block, eventually allowing the cylinder head bolts to work loose, lose clamping force, with the resulting head gasket failures. It's not really a gasket failure as it is a manufacturing flaw that leads to a gasket failure.

Any idea what the campaign number is?

That could be very valuable info to someone that is having trouble.

Posted Image

Any idea what the campaign number is?

That could be very valuable info to someone that is having trouble.

Done ---> http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=22542&hl=

Considering what happened to me and my car at 91,459 miles; I've always felt like I'd gotten hosed by GM. A catastrophic engine failaure at NINETY ONE THOUSAND MILES!!!!!!!!! Are you kigging!? I like the car, that's why I still own it. That's why I'm getting ready to sink a lot of money into it to bring it back. But let's face it; I've had far more problems with a $43,000.00 Cadillac than I ever should have had. And more so for a car than was maintained by the book and then some. At 115,000 miles it's a s**tbox. Everything leaks, everything rattles, the interior panels are all coming apart. It's worse than any of the Alfas I ever owned. It's far more trouble than my 1995 Jaguar (I know that's hard to believe but it's true). I really like the car, I like two door cars and I'm not all jazzed up about spending significant loot on a newer Cadillac so I'm going to throw more money into that money hole known as 1997 Cadillac Eldorado.

Considering what happened to me and my car at 91,459 miles; I've always felt like I'd gotten hosed by GM. A catastrophic engine failaure at NINETY ONE THOUSAND MILES!!!!!!!!! Are you kigging!? I like the car, that's why I still own it. That's why I'm getting ready to sink a lot of money into it to bring it back. But let's face it; I've had far more problems with a $43,000.00 Cadillac than I ever should have had. And more so for a car than was maintained by the book and then some. At 115,000 miles it's a s**tbox. Everything leaks, everything rattles, the interior panels are all coming apart. It's worse than any of the Alfas I ever owned. It's far more trouble than my 1995 Jaguar (I know that's hard to believe but it's true). I really like the car, I like two door cars and I'm not all jazzed up about spending significant loot on a newer Cadillac so I'm going to throw more money into that money hole known as 1997 Cadillac Eldorado.

So I'm not the only one that has had these experiences and think the car is a mechanical piece of crap. Have you had the, "pleasure", of replacing the >>> $800 <<<< MacPherson struts yet?

In my opinion, for GM's best, most luxurious car to have serious cylinder head gasket issues is just not acceptable. Over and over and over we read of posts of people with blown cylinder head gaskets in the Northstar engine and the insane prices that people are getting hit with for the repair. I am looking into contacting the government about forcing Cadillac to recall these engines and fix the, in my opinion, poor design. After all, the government now has a controlling interest in General Motors and that controlling interest was paid for by the tax payer! :angry:

So I'm not the only one that has had these experiences and think the car is a mechanical piece of crap. Have you had the, "pleasure", of replacing the >>> $800 <<<< MacPherson struts yet?

In my opinion, for GM's best, most luxurious car to have serious cylinder head gasket issues is just not acceptable. Over and over and over we read of posts of people with blown cylinder head gaskets in the Northstar engine and the insane prices that people are getting hit with for the repair. I am looking into contacting the government about forcing Cadillac to recall these engines and fix the, in my opinion, poor design. After all, the government now has a controlling interest in General Motors and that controlling interest was paid for by the tax payer! :angry:

Yes, lets GRIND GM into the ground for good so the government can take 100% control of them, that would be good huh? While I understand the anger and disappointment, these cars are OUT OF WARRANTY and any engines that this happens to WITHIN warranty are repaired under warranty. THAT is all that GM is responsible for, lets be realistic here! They own none of us anything out of warranty. Am I disappointed, yep. Lets keep in mind that if this was not a transverse engine, the cost of repair would undoubtly be much less as the job could be done with the engine in the car.

This is obviously one of the reasons that GM's reputation has suffered, along with problems like the CTS timing chains, CTS rear ends, the 3100/3400 intake manifold gaskets that leak, etc. GM has needed to correct problems that hurt their reputation, like mechanical failtures and dealers and dealer techs that bad mouth the NORTHSTAR and do poor repairs and give out disinformation.

If you look at the survey we did here, approximately 15% of NS's have needed head gaskets. Mine currently needs head gaskets at 127,000 miles. When I was a KID, at 127,000 miles you towed your car to the JUNK YARD as it was a POS!!!!!!!!!!!! I can have a freakin new car for about $1000 if I do the job myself, and for about $3000 if I have someone other than the dealer do that job, assuming I can find a competent mechanic. I doubt that I could find a good car for $3000.

To criticize these engines for a poor design to me is harsh, unless you are an engine designer or metalurgist that understands the full scope of the problem. We have a description of the SO CALLED steel bolt vs aluminum design issue you describe earlier and we had a high level Northstar Powertrain Engineer that frequented this board explain the thinking/reasoning. I will find his explanation and post it if I can find it, so you can become more educated about the issue directly from the designer.

These are extremely high compression engines, I think that GM recognized the problem and strengthened the bolts over time starting in 2000 and then again around 2003 if I recall. Other manufacturers are having problems with head gaskets blowing also, do a search on the internet and you will find it.

Also, keep in mind that we read OVER AND OVER of people having problems with head gaskets because the internet is a focus of PROBLEMS, very few HAPPY NORTHSTAR owners come here to rave about how happy they are about the engine, we see people ONLY with PROBLEMS

This is an enthusiast board, we love GM and the Northstar. We fix the engine when it breaks and accept potential problems. We dont however, dump on GM, threaten class action legal suits or play monday morning quarterback with the design, as NONE of us is qualified. WE FIX IT WHEN IT BREAKS, PERIOD

Enjoy this engine, its probably the LAST V8

"After all, the government now has a controlling interest in General Motors and that controlling interest was paid for by the tax payer!"

Excellent point. I like the way you think.

I'm lucky I don't have the the electronic shocks on my car, which is another reason why I won't buy a new Cadillac. I don't need electronic ride. Case closed end of story. Let the youngsters mortgage their soul for electronic ride.

Hey, let's face it; I'd be happy with a late '70s Eldo convertible as a DD. I don't have the electronic struts in my car but Junior has them in his '03 STS. We've had the discussion...

I'm getting ready to put new struts, mounts, strut bearings and end links in my car, buying parts now. Don't know if I'm going to use Arnott's or Delcos. I don't need the harness the Arnott's come with so I may spend the loot for the Delcos (Rockauto). I have Arnott air shocks in back and have been very pleased.

To Bodybyfisher's point about the N* design; I am convinced that it is a world class design equal to the best of what Europe is making for V-8s. And they've had their problems; Jaguar used cheap chintzy plastic timing chain tensioners, plastic water pump impellers and simplex timing chains in their V-8s for years. They all will fail and fail catastropically. However, I can't ignore GM's engineering and manufacturing shortcuts. Until 91,459 my Eldorado was one nice ride, after that it's just seemed to fall apart.

Yes, lets GRIND GM into the ground for good so the government can take 100% control of them, that would be good huh? While I understand the anger and disappointment, these cars are OUT OF WARRANTY and any engines that this happens to WITHIN warranty are repaired under warranty. THAT is all that GM is responsible for, lets be realistic here! They own none of us anything out of warranty. Am I disappointed, yep. Lets keep in mind that if this was not a transverse engine, the cost of repair would undoubtly be much less as the job could be done with the engine in the car.

This is obviously one of the reasons that GM's reputation has suffered, along with problems like the CTS timing chains, CTS rear ends, the 3100/3400 intake manifold gaskets that leak, etc. GM has needed to correct problems that hurt their reputation, like mechanical failtures and dealers and dealer techs that bad mouth the NORTHSTAR and do poor repairs and give out disinformation.

If you look at the survey we did here, approximately 15% of NS's have needed head gaskets. Mine currently needs head gaskets at 127,000 miles. When I was a KID, at 127,000 miles you towed your car to the JUNK YARD as it was a POS!!!!!!!!!!!! I can have a freakin new car for about $1000 if I do the job myself, and for about $3000 if I have someone other than the dealer do that job, assuming I can find a competent mechanic. I doubt that I could find a good car for $3000.

To criticize these engines for a poor design to me is harsh, unless you are an engine designer or metalurgist that understands the full scope of the problem. We have a description of the SO CALLED steel bolt vs aluminum design issue you describe earlier and we had a high level Northstar Powertrain Engineer that frequented this board explain the thinking/reasoning. I will find his explanation and post it if I can find it, so you can become more educated about the issue directly from the designer.

These are extremely high compression engines, I think that GM recognized the problem and strengthened the bolts over time starting in 2000 and then again around 2003 if I recall. Other manufacturers are having problems with head gaskets blowing also, do a search on the internet and you will find it.

Also, keep in mind that we read OVER AND OVER of people having problems with head gaskets because the internet is a focus of PROBLEMS, very few HAPPY NORTHSTAR owners come here to rave about how happy they are about the engine, we see people ONLY with PROBLEMS

This is an enthusiast board, we love GM and the Northstar. We fix the engine when it breaks and accept potential problems. We dont however, dump on GM, threaten class action legal suits or play monday morning quarterback with the design, as NONE of us is qualified. WE FIX IT WHEN IT BREAKS, PERIOD

Enjoy this engine, its probably the LAST V8

Hi Bodybyfisher. With the poor track record of cylinder head gasket after cylinder head gasket failing in the Northstar V-8, then this indeed may be the LAST V-8 and SHOULD BE.

Oh sure, the engine is great, has excellent power, good fuel economy and runs smooth. But that means nothing when the engine is overheating, puking antifreeze and belching steam from under the hood, broken down along the road somewhere, leaving yet another motorist stranded with blown cylinder head gaskets.

I have been in the automotive repair industry for 25 years and I've seen thousands and thousands of cars in for repairs during that time. It is very unusual for a car to have a blown cylinder head gasket. It doesn't happen that often, in my opinion and experience. But then we come to the Cadillac Northstar and in my opinion this engine has earned a well deserved reputation for blown cylinder head gaskets. Oh yeah, it's great that the problem might be covered under warranty, (basically GM admitting there's a problem, or they wouldn't cover it under warranty), but for the customer that gets stuck with repairing the engine when it is out of warranty, that's just too bad, "enjoy your Northstar"?! I beg your pardon?

Post after post after post about these engines blowing their cylinder head gaskets, a major repair. This is not a small potato item here, like a squeaky windshield wiper for crying out loud. The average motorist can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for a car and then pay thousands of dollars more, (approaching if not eclipsing the value of the entire car itself), to repair an engine with blown cylinder head gaskets.

Cadillac has a campaign for 1999 Northstar engines to check for a problem with the cylinder head bolt holes being drilled too far into the block, with the result being blown cylinder head gaskets. I don't think it reasonable or appropriate to ask someone not to share this information, potentially saving a families budget thousands of dollars in repair costs that they don't have to pay for under this official campaign from Cadillac. The intent of this forum is to help other Cadillac owners, be they enthusiastic about paying thousands of dollars out of their own pocket for cylinder head gasket repair jobs, or not. I suspect most people would rather not shell out that kind of cash when and if the repair can be taken care of at no charge. :D

Archived