CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant Leak

Regis

I left work early today so it was "suggested" that I do the grocery shopping....lovely. So after Wegman's "saved" me money and as I approached the caddy I noticed a pool of coolant under my car. A grocery cart attendant noticed it too as I tilted my head as if I was going to say, "What the hell is that!?!". Drove it home and noticed that I was indeed missing some coolant. Well it appears that I have a leak somewhere in the upper right (from the drivers seat) side of the radiator. Lots of things are in the way and i wasn't able to locate the exact source. The caddy is going back into the garage on Tuesday for a quick visit to locate and then devise a plan of attack. I'll update.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Stopped by to see Ken this morning and he confirmed my suspicions that there was a crack in upper side tank. Right along one of the fin seams. It's plastic...... of course. I left the shop and ran right over to Lilands and picked up a new rad. It goes in first thing Tuesday morning. I'll report when it's in.

New radiator brand: Visteon

Price: $212 + $5 core charge

Warranty: 1 year

I went in looking for a Modine radiator but found out that Modine was recently bought out and is no more. So much for the lifetime warranty. I also checked out a GM radiator but it also had only a 1 year warranty for $312. So let's hear it for Visteon, hooray! LOL

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The radiator went in yesterday morning without a hitch. Topped off with a gallon of coolant and 1/2 gallon of distilled water. This morning I was able to add the last half of the water. I figure it'll take another day or two to make sure all the air is out of the system.

The old radiator had 6 holes (that we could plainly see) on the right side tank. Just glad the problem was found and solved before the arrival of low temps and snow.

"Burns" rubber

Archived