CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Tire Monitoring System

Texas Jim

Howdy all,

Had a slow leak fixed and the tires rotated on the '06 DTS Friday.

Drove it home, parked it and didn't start it until today when I took the wife to dinner earlier this evening.

DIC displays "Service Tire Monitoring System" then goes off after about a minute.

I wonder if they broke the sensor in the wheel that send pressure readings to the computer.

I can't figure out how to get the DIC to give me codes on what is wrong.

If the tire place broke something I want THEM to fix it.

Or I can take it to the dealer to fix, but if it is something simple, I would rather do it myself and save the hassle of taking it in to the dealer and then going back to get it.

Posted Image

Howdy all,

Had a slow leak fixed and the tires rotated on the '06 DTS Friday.

Drove it home, parked it and didn't start it until today when I took the wife to dinner earlier this evening.

DIC displays "Service Tire Monitoring System" then goes off after about a minute.

I wonder if they broke the sensor in the wheel that send pressure readings to the computer.

I can't figure out how to get the DIC to give me codes on what is wrong.

If the tire place broke something I want THEM to fix it.

Or I can take it to the dealer to fix, but if it is something simple, I would rather do it myself and save the hassle of taking it in to the dealer and then going back to get it.

Your assumption is probably 100% right... the sensors are mounted to the valve stems and they are VERY easy to damage if the technician is careless or doesn't know that they are there...

There should be a big warning in the owners manual that says

"REMEMBER TO WARN YOUR TIRE DEALER AT LEAST THREE (3) TIMES THAT THIS CAR HAS A TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BUILT INTO THE VALVE STEM"

When you did the relearn you did go around to each wheel with a magnet.... right?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Your assumption is probably 100% right... the sensors are mounted to the valve stems and they are VERY easy to damage if the technician is careless or doesn't know that they are there...

There should be a big warning in the owners manual that says

"REMEMBER TO WARN YOUR TIRE DEALER AT LEAST THREE (3) TIMES THAT THIS CAR HAS A TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BUILT INTO THE VALVE STEM"

When you did the relearn you did go around to each wheel with a magnet.... right?

If they broke the one that they fixed the leak on .... would that make all 4 of them show dashes instead of pressure ?

And no I did not use a magnet.

Posted Image

This procedure might not be valid for '06 model systems, but you could try it.

Resetting TPM

Use a fairly strong horseshoe style magnet.

1) Ignition ON.

2) Press LOCK + UN-LOCK key fob buttons until the horn chirps.

3) Starting with LF tire, hold the magnet against valve stem

until horn chirps. Then RF, then RR, then LR. After LR, horn will

chirp twice to indicate programming is complete.

There is a timer running that allows 1 minute between wheels and

5 minutes total elapsed time.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The newer TPM systems are different,no more magnet...The dealer uses a hand held radio type transmitter to relearn the tire positions. I believe the way you do it yourself is listed in the owners manual. I will look it up and repost it.

Yup...Just like an Impala(grin!) 1- set the park brake 2-turn key on 3-go into DIC until relearn tire pressures is displayed 4-press the set/reset button,horn will sound twice,and tire learning active will be displayed.5- Start with the left front tire and either increase or decrease pressure for 5 secs.,or until the horn chirps.6- repeat the process for the RF,RR,and LR tires inthat order. Then the message will turn off on the DIC,and shut the key off to exit. Set your tire pressures,and you are done. It;s possible the tire shop did not put the wheel on the car whewe it was origionally. You have to learn the tire positions after a rotation also.

The newer TPM systems are different,no more magnet...The dealer uses a hand held radio type transmitter to relearn the tire positions. I believe the way you do it yourself is listed in the owners manual. I will look it up and repost it.

Do you know what year this change came about?

Do you know what year this change came about?

Must have started in '06 the service guide for the 05 Deville still says to use tool J41760 (AKA a donut shaped magnet) The '05 manual also notes RPO WC2 or WC8 tires (enhanced mobility tires) these ones need a scanner... as the sensor is not on the stem

And as I read the service manual if one senor fails the whole system shuts down and it displays the "Service" message.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived