CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

In-dash CD player with CD Changer?

tmpafford

I have a 97 STS with a factory radio with the tape player and factory CD changer in the trunk. There are times when I want to listen to a CD real quick and do not want to stop and reload the changer. (OK actually my teenage daughter likes to play "DJ" and listen to just one song off each of her collection of about 500 CDs") I have also wanted to listen to books on CD, but did not want to load them in the changer. Could I buy a used Cadillac radio with the built in CD player and still use the factory changer in the trunk? Will the two work together?

That is a good question, and I believe that the answer is yes. I installed an aftermarket changer in the trunk of my 93 when the in-dash CD player got the dreaded Disc Read Error. I wasn't about to pony up over $300 for a new unit when the tuner and cassette player worked fine.

IIRC I did not have to disable the factory in-dash CD player in any way in order to enable the changer in the trunk. So, if the factory single-disc decided to perform one day, I suppose I could have used it in conjunction with the changer.

In the 98-04 models, the RDS unit performs both the function of single disc and changer, so it may be possible in the older models as well.

Does anyone know if the front tweeter/woofer units plug directly into the radio? I have a non Bose unit. Anotherwords, I am in the process of replacing my front component (separate tweeter/woofer drivers) speakers and the tweeter and woofer wiring does not come from a crossover, both just go into a wiring harness. My guess is that the crossover is in the radio or near the radio... I will pull out the manual but is it possible that the tweeter and woofer are wired directly to the radio and there is NO external crossover? Thanks, I hope I am making sense, Mike

I have a 97 STS with a factory radio with the tape player and factory CD changer in the trunk. There are times when I want to listen to a CD real quick and do not want to stop and reload the changer. (OK actually my teenage daughter likes to play "DJ" and listen to just one song off each of her collection of about 500 CDs") I have also wanted to listen to books on CD, but did not want to load them in the changer. Could I buy a used Cadillac radio with the built in CD player and still use the factory changer in the trunk? Will the two work together?

tmpafford,

I just posted this on another radio post and you'll find it helpful. Call the toll free number at the bottom of the web page. United Radio You should get the sales department. Nice nice people. Ask to speak with one of the techs that knows about factory Bose units. I think you'll get your answer and then some. Post back and let us know what you find out.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

My 01 STS has both an in dash single player, and a changer in the center console. Is that redundancy or is that redundancy? :-)

I would love to have that "problem" ;) . You'll never be without a CD player.... nice. :D

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived