CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

blown head gasket

bpeesy

I have a 92 Seville that has a blown head gasket. (it's blowing plums of white smoke). My question is: Is replacing the head gasket on a 4.9 engine considered very difficult. I have replaced head gaskets on other vehicles (95 Taurus & 92 Accord) Would a head gasket replacement on a 4.9 be a difficult as it looks. The engine looks intimidating at the back exhaust bolts and such. for those who have done this in the past or if anyone has good advise, please help

Are you sure the problem isn't a blown intake manifold gasket??? That is much simpler to replace than a head gasket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Are you sure the problem isn't a blown intake manifold gasket??? That is much simpler to replace than a head gasket.

Kevin I initially thought the same thing but when I did a search, all I found related to the 4.9 and intake was water getting into the oil.. I imagine water could get into an intake port too?

A compression test would uncover a blown head gasket

bpeesy,

Run a compression test and listen for bubbles in the radiator reservoir.

It's best to pull the engine to replace the head gaskets (if they actually do need replacing). I've seen postings on doing the work in the car, but it's much easier to do the thread inserts (Timeserts) with the engine out of the car.

Does the 4.9 need to be time-serted, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing that to a 4.9, however for that matter, I don't recall a head gasket blowing on a 4.9

I think the 4.9 is an iron block engine, meaning Timeserts would not be needed. Cooling system maintenance is just as important on a 4.9, since none of them ever had Dexcool from the factory. Change that coolant every 2 years or 24,000 miles or thereabouts.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines were aluminum blocks with iron heads.....

Ooh, sorry about that. Other way around. Thanks for the correction.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived