CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 ElDorado ETc - service ride control

As you may know, or have commented on. I recently replaced my front struts with the Monroe set-up.

I purchased the 4700 ohm 1/2 watt resistors from Radio Shack and installed them.

I still get the "service ride control" warning pop up in the info screen.

Do I have to reset this code manually ? or did I miss the boat somewheres.

note - I used crimp connectors and coated it all with liquid rubber..........will the crimp connectors add to the resistance ?

not against re-doing it and soldering if that is someones thought.

Thanks

A good crimp connector, weather-sealed, is just fine.

To tell what is turning on your Service Ride Control warning light, we need the OBD codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Well - that was confusing. It seems there are no codes ? - I have the 1995, pushed the off and warm together - blinked and blipped etc, then No pcm , no icm , and a few other notations all with - " no codes" after them , then it went to pcm? , icm ? - I saw some what looked like an "S" - S012 , S017 , S061 , S062 , but seemed like it was endless ?

Guess I need to study up on this more and pring out the cods sheet.

Still displays - "service ride control" - this comes on after driving and maybe some bumps , sways , pitches , in car ride.

Write the codes down and post them here. From what you did have in your post:

S012
S017
S061 Right Front Position Sensor Fault
S062 Left Rear Position Sensor Fault

The position sensors are the right height sensors. They are used in RSS (electronic suspension), ABS and TC, and in ICCS (Stabilitrak). The rear ones are used on ride height control. These codes will tell you how to fix your "Service Ride Control" message, which is from the RSS module.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

So , bear with me please -

Are the S061 and S062 - then related to the wires that used to go to the struts up front ?

or is it that little box with the arm on it that goes from the lower A arm up to that little black box.....?

They are back where they were , and as was , because they did not go to the strut but I did pull them off the A arm to lower it to get the strut/coil spring out.

Sorry , I can usually wrap my head around this. I really need to get a shop service manual - Haynes doesn't cover 50% of the stuff on these cars.

So I must have RSS on my ElDorado -

Thanks -

The S061 refers to the ride height sensor on the right front, and yes, it is the little black box with the arm on it; check the connector on the little black box. The S062 refers to the ride height sensor on the left rear. The wires you are asking about are the control wires for the electronically controlled struts. If you had wires to the struts, you have RSS, or you *had* RSS.

Haynes and Chilton cover about 10% of what you need to know on any OBD car, which is to say everything since the 1996 model year. Wrenching and teardown and re-assembly is good, but knowing where all the sensors are and how they hook up, and how the modules test everything and report problems, etc. isn't covered. Get a used FSM on eBay or the equivalent. They can be had new from Helm, Inc. but on old cars they are expensive, and they may be out-of-print in which case they are reproduced from microfilm or possibly DVD images and may not be the best quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to look over the wires all look good and tight, no breaks. My "guess" is , that the rear shocks are so shot especially the left rear , that it is sending the code and it is also effecting the opposite corner of the car - the right front......only a guess as I see no other issue.

I will be changing the rears soon as my rear wheel bearing comes in, that is shot too , on the left rear side. I got the Arnott rear shocks - look great in the box - lol .

Thanks again everyone .

Bad shocks won't send a ride height sensor code, but bad shocks should be replaced nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

So - when replacing the rear shocks - I found the rear "knuckle" bushings shot, and not the wheel bearings. I replaced both upper and lower.

I had an issue with the moog lowers - it was the only part# listed and yet they were 1/16-1/8" too wide to fit back in the a-arm.....I suspect this is because of the steel spacers clipped on the a-arms to what I believe would be so the steel of the bushing doesn't damage the aluminum. Without the spacers they would be perfect. So I had to take an equal amout off each bushing to get them in place. I didn't realise there was a problem till they wre pressed back into the knuckle....a little to late then. A re-check on the moog# and it is the only one available........

made a great improvement , a little displeased that the Arnott set-up doesn't come with anything but the shock, no upper nut or new rubber isolators etc. - that ran another $65, and still had to salvage the old upper nut.

Still getting the ride sensor fault.....it never came on before till I did the front struts passive and put the resitors in....still not sure on the performance of the on board compressor, but weeding things out and on an uphill climb.

Ran the codes again last night - I no longer have a S061 or S062 ( ride hieght sensors) - but it still tosses out the S012 and S017 - and the check ride service control pops up on the dash again.

I did also have a PO26 and PO83 in history , but that is something I know about and probably why , so disregard.

Also , I know I have read it somewhere here , but , how do I clear the codes ?

Thanks

1992-1993 Allante, 1993-1996 Eldorado,1993-1996 Seville, 1993-1995 Concours

These models require installation of a jumper harness connection. Remove the harness connector from the shock during shock replacement. Install the jumper, GM P/N 88961530. Securely tie off the jumper to the harness in order to avoid possible damage while in use. Effective repair requires four (4) jumpers - one for each "corner" of the vehicle.

I used the set of resistors I got from radio shack - the rears have the direct replacement Arnotts with the correct wiring to maintain the hieght sensors ( plug n play). I will try the GM part for the fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

I had two Caddies with the electronic suspension. My 93 Seville kicked on the Service Ride Control message around 150k. I had to do some trick with installing a relay in the trunk on one of the modules but I don't remember. It was a long time ago. At the time there were no replacements other than factory and I want to say that they were $700 a piece. My 95 SLS kicked on the message around 325k and the relay trick wasn't applicable so I just lived with the message until the car was totaled at 336k.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Gray is right and I remember being in the trunk in these cars with a relay and connector for the relay. These were the old school big relays like on the 91-93 c body cars that controlled abs and cooling fans. I will see if I can find the full tsb in Alldata.

1992-1993 Allante, 1993-1996 Eldorado,1993-1996 Seville, 1993-1995 Concours

These models require installation of a jumper harness connection. Remove the harness connector from the shock during shock replacement. Install the jumper, GM P/N 88961530. Securely tie off the jumper to the harness in order to avoid possible damage while in use. Effective repair requires four (4) jumpers - one for each "corner" of the vehicle.

1993 Eldorado and Seville with Speed Sensitive Suspension and 4.9L Engine Only

Refer to page 8A-43-6 in the 1992 Eldorado Seville Service Manual.

1. Cut circuit 1020 (PINK).
2. Attach the IPC side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 87A.
3. Attach the module side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 86.
4. Run a ground wire to relay pin 30.
5. Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in Run) source to relay pin 85.

1991-1993 DeVille with Computer Command Ride (CCR)

Refer to the Service Manual, page 8A-43-0. Cut Circuit 1300 (Dark Green wire) at the CCR module (Pin C15) to disable the indicator lamp. Tape the wires back into the harness to prevent shorting to other components.

1994-1995 DeVille with Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) and 4.9L Engines Only

Refer to the 1994 Eldorado, Seville, DeVille Service Manual, page 8A-43-14.

1. Locate and cut circuit 370 (RED).
2. Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay.
3. Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay.
4. Run a ground wire to relay pin 30.
5. Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in Run) source to relay pin 85.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I am a litte late on getting back to this, but it appears I have to replace a front hub now so tearing into the front end once again, and will get the proper GM jumper part now.

• 3 months later...

It could be a bad height sensor which is causing the compressor to run past the point where the car is level.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It could also be that the height control sensor linkage has gotten out of adjustment or the linkage has been knocked off and the arm is wedged in a position that makes things go to "full up."

Though your car is six model year's older than mine, the ELC didn't change all that much over time. For a scan from the Service Information Manual for the 1989 De Ville/Fleetwood cars of the ELC height control click here. A photo of the height sensor unit and it's arm and control linkage on my car can be found here.

Now that I've revisited that photo of the unit on my car, it's conceivably possible that if what ever is supposed to hold the unit itself in place came loose enough that the weight of the unit would rotate the whole thing downward, that would have the same effect as the control arm being pushed upward under typical circumstances.

You need to take a look under the car to see what's going on "back there."

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

The exhaust solenoid could be stuck or open (the connector loose or off).

You should check the OBD codes and see if they tell us anything about an electrical problem. Look for Snnn codes, and note which ones are CURRENT.

Archived