CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Any way to remove the airbag service error without fixing the problem?

I bought a 1997 deville with SDM B1148, no problem i thought since i was going to remove the airbags anyway (children in the car). Removed the fuse, disconnected the battery. Still get the service airbag message in the display, so i cant scroll through the rpm / coolant temp etc. If i remove the cables to all sensors and pull the airbags do i still have the message in the display? Is it possible to remove it with a tech-2 (sort of disable airbag system) , or is there some "resistor things" you can put in the cables to "cheat" the computer beliving its still there?

Bought a FSM but i still need a GM service tool (dont have the tool number in my head atm.) to be able to see if the side impact module is broken.

Yes i know its more safe with airbags, but the kids want to ride daddys cadillac, so keeping em in the car is not an option.

Update:

Called the dealer in Sweden (where i live) and he said it was possible to remove the airbags and clear the "system", but ofcourse he didnt want to tell me how to do it. You had to fysical remove the airbags and the make a "special move" to remove the airbag lamp. So now i know its possible atleast.

I bought a 1997 deville with SDM B1148, no problem i thought since i was going to remove the airbags anyway (children in the car). Removed the fuse, disconnected the battery. Still get the service airbag message in the display, so i cant scroll through the rpm / coolant temp etc. If i remove the cables to all sensors and pull the airbags do i still have the message in the display? Is it possible to remove it with a tech-2 (sort of disable airbag system) , or is there some "resistor things" you can put in the cables to "cheat" the computer beliving its still there?

Bought a FSM but i still need a GM service tool (dont have the tool number in my head atm.) to be able to see if the side impact module is broken.

Yes i know its more safe with airbags, but the kids want to ride daddys cadillac, so keeping em in the car is not an option.

Update:

Called the dealer in Sweden (where i live) and he said it was possible to remove the airbags and clear the "system", but ofcourse he didnt want to tell me how to do it. You had to fysical remove the airbags and the make a "special move" to remove the airbag lamp. So now i know its possible atleast.

I've never heard of removing the airbags due to children. In the USA, children under the age of 8 must ride in the back seat. Once they're 8 they can ride in the front seat.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's the real solution, a car seat designed for the size of your child, properly secured with the rear-seat seat belt.

B1148 Passenger Side Air Bag System Malfunction

This is likely a wiring problem, e.g. an unplugged air bag. Pulling fuses just sets other codes. We'll help you troubleshoot that code if you like.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Welcome To caddyinfo forum.

I am sorry to tell you that there is no easy solution for you.

there are legal matters with modifying the airbag system, Also there are so many sensors on the system that they communicate with each other. The only easy solution to not have airbags is to either buy a car without airbags, or to just pull the fuse and deal with the message/ light.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Searched some on google and there was a recall on my car for the side impact sensor, perhaps they didnt do it and just unpluged the airbag. http://workshop-manuals.com/cadillac/deville/v8-4.6l_vin_y/sensors_and_switches/sensors_and_switches_restraint_systems/impact_sensor/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/recalls_for_impact_sensor/00066/recall_side_impact_module_replacement/recall_side_impact_module_replacement/ . Going to call the dealer to see if that was made (doubt it since the car was imported from tokyo). During the weekend im going to remove the doortrim to see if i can spot something. In the FSM there was some "easy" steps to follow to troubleshot the code.

I didn't know that there were any right-hand drive Devilles in 1997. Without right-hand drive, it would be hard to sell the car legally in Japan. But your TSM seems to be a good lead. The problem is that this is a very old TSM and a car that still needs the recall will be quite rare.

I suggest that you consider getting a GM factory shop manual from eBay if you are going to keep the car for a long time and want to do some of the work yourself, and be knowledgeable when you do have work done by others. They are a two-volume set (a third volume for transmission overhaul is available separately).

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The car is left hand drive, i guess some foregin worker wanted to ride with class insted of the small japan cars =) I have the 2 volumes of the GM shop manuals, i guess i have to get the 3rd aswell, since i have two devilles 1997 (both from tokyo), there are not alot of these cars in Sweden, very strange since its one of the most comfortable cars i have ever had. The dealer said that my car wasnt on the recall list, and to change the module if would cost me around 1300$. Knowing that im going to spend *alot* of time finding this error, and if it turns out to me the module i guess im getting one on ebay anyway. Do i need to reprogram anything to match it with the computer in the car or is it just "plug and play"? Many thanks the the answers, since i dont know anyone who have a "new" cadillac in sweden, so im kinda forced to repair the car myself with help from forums and google =) , and the closest GM dealer is 200 miles from here. Old cadillacs from the 60s are more common here, i know atleast 20 people how have one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Cadillac-DeVille-Eldorado-Seville-Service-Shop-Manual-Vol-1-OFFICIAL-A-/301099310025?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item461aeadbc9&vxp=mtr

This is the manauls i have.

You only need the transmission overhaul manual if you dismantle the transmission yourself. It's a nice reference but you might want to evaluate the price against the need before you commit to purchasing a transmission overhaul manual.

You might consider having the transmission serviced. If you have it flushed for a 100% fluid change, be sure that you use Dexron VI.

Bad modules are exceedingly rare. And there is no reason to believe that tracking down your B1148 OBD DTC will take "*alot* of time." I have a 1997 FSM and will relate the troubleshooting process if you like. I would rather go thorough it with you and deal with it one step at a time to avoid endless details of all the alternatives, drowning you with irrelevant detail and taking hours of my time.

Volume I of the FSM has the body and should be good fro the B1148 code. Volume II has the engine and electrical system.

Archived