CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

harmonic balancer

airmike

I am interested to hear other opinions of this way I torqued my harmonic balancer bolt. As per factory manual I torqued to 39 ft lbs then it states 120 degrees more. So I marked the balancer and the bolt and washer with white paint. Then used a impact wrench to turn it 120 degrees as marked. I would assume 120 degrees is 120 degrees however you get there.

That is the method I used also. I marked the bolt/washer with a paint dot aligned with one of the spokes on the balancer and used the impact to tighten the bolt until the paint mark was aligned with the next spoke on the balancer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The FSM says that the spokes on the blancer are 120 degrees apart and you can use that. On page 6-155 of the 1997 FSM, it shows a picture of it with the three "legs" as it calls the spokes clearly visible.

"Use the balancer legs as a reference for the additional 120 degrees of rotation. Make a mark on the balancer bolt flange in line with the centerline of one balancer spoke. Turn to the next spoke.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks guys. It always makes a guy feel better when others agree, even if it was already done. I didn't want to take the intake off just to get to the flywheel for a holder. I wonder why I never read about that anywhere, seems like the manual would state using a gun could get it done without the holder.

Thanks guys. It always makes a guy feel better when others agree, even if it was already done. I didn't want to take the intake off just to get to the flywheel for a holder. I wonder why I never read about that anywhere, seems like the manual would state using a gun could get it done without the holder.

You wouldn't need to remove the intake to lock the flywheel - that is done by removing the inspection cover at the bottom - three bolts.

The shop manual soes not like impact guns - especially on the transmission - there are warnings in section 7 (the transmission).

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I don't like impact wrenches on engines, either. Recently I cautioned someone about pulling head bolts on an engine that had been TimSerted, and he was insulted and asked how I thought that someone could pull out an insert when pulling a head bolt. I apologized, saying that I felt that in all good conscience that I needed to say that, because I had heard of mechanics that pulled head bolts with an impact wrench. I was not joking.

The 1997 FSM says to clean and APPLY ENGINE OIL to the bolt threads. Since the torque to turn 120 degrees is probably at least 100 lb-feet, this is likely important to get the job done without damaging the threads.

I would lock the flywheel and use a breaker bar.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Can anyone tell me what bracket went on the bolt hole that has a clean spot centered in this photo? It is on the transmission directly below the water pump.

2013-06-26_18-47-32_963_zps176133c0.jpg

This was posted as its own topic. There, I said that I thought that it was possibly a wiring harness ground. There are two there in the 1997 (not the 1999) FSM, and the other one appears to be off too. I think that stripping these out is common and that people switch them to a chassis ground instead of TimeSert just a ground connection bolt.

Again, in the 1997 FSM, (I don't have the 1999 FSM), ground 107, which seems to be the one shown, is for the cooling fan motors, the A/C compressor clutch, and the EBTCM wiring harness. G110 is directly from the body of the ABS pump motor.

Archived