CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Project: 1939 Jaguar SS100 Replica Classic Roadsters, LTD. "Duke"

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found the rear shocks in bad shape,so after an tedious search found they are for a !978 Pinto with the 2.8 V6..New ones installed and I hope to take it for a ride tomorrow after work .Cruise night Thursday and take the granddaughter out for a ride.The rear body mounts also look like they will require rebuilding,but will have to wait until it's down time.Contemplating installing a real trunk in the rear,but that will be decided when back of car is torn down to repair the body mounts.

Rick

I think the gas tank impinges on where a trunk would be in mine. Or do you mean by adding a trunk on the luggage rack or instead of the luggage rack like a classic car?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

That would all depend on how things line up in the rear.The rear body section will have to come off to gain access for the body mounts and that will indicate if it's feasible.Also trunk size would dictate if the rear body section would be notched out or removed entirely.Wait and see on this one.I would not add anything onto the back of the body.

Rick

Being in Europe, a Mustang 2 fuel tank was not a financially viable option, but the Beetle tank fits well and should work a charm, now that we have modified the intake pipe on the tank.

There is a fair bit of room for you to make a storage compartment and we were thinking of doing this by making a fiberglass tub which you could get to from the inside of the Duke. Our Duke already had the opening, as you can see from the photos and this would have been the neatest option, with the downside that the opening would not be as big as if you cut a new opening from the rear, of course.

In the end, we needed the space for the stealth stereo installation (Rear speakers and sub-woofer sealed box) so we opted to use a modern reproduction model A Ford trunk rack, mounting it through 2 slits in the rear bodywork, to the chassis. the great thing is that the spacing of the chrome strips on the rack, match the spacing of the uprights on the rear of the duke, perfectly.

The Duke HAS to be ready before the 10th of September as I will be using it to go to the Goodwood Revival in England (Cars, Bikes and Planes from the 40s through to the 60s with everyone also dressed in period costume.)

I can't wait either.... The Duke rebuild has taken way longer than we planned, at the start, with a typical Domino effect caused by the fact that once you decide, or are forced, to change one thing, it then makes the next thing down the line need to be uprated or changed, so that it doesn't look out of place. :-)

This board has been a great find and I am really glad that Bruce opened it up and that you gents also found it as between us all, there is now way more (useful) information, here, on the Duke than the rest of the internet put together. ;-)

On a side note, we will not be putting the bumpers back on our Duke, nor will we be fitting a New Old Stock brown vinyl top and side windows which came with the car, so if anyone is ever needs either, feel free to drop me a line at duke@cyberfooks.com

The old soft-top had been unstitched and used as a template to make a mohair top, by the way. ;-)

Big improvement in the ride and handling of our car .Real happy that the shocks helped.Obviously going to order and replace the front shocks too.Next on the hit list is a trip to the pick a part yard to look for an air cleaner assembly that will contain the gas fumes,even though I like the look of the aged one more.

Rick

Like the rear shocks so well,installed new ones on the front also.Installed the Holley 2 barrel carb I rebuilt and that seems to run well,just need to fine tune it. .................cyberfooks : I have a definate interest in the top and side windows if wish to sell them..I have the metal bows for the top.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the radio silence but I've been away.

I will take photos of the new top and side screens later this week and post them for you to have a look at and if you are interested, just drop me a line and make me an offer. :-)

We are in the process of making a new dash for the Duke, in metal and with the radio located in the glove box... It's almost ready to be taken off, stripped down and sent off to be sprayed black, to match the rest of the bodywork.... Thought you may be interested to see the result, so far. ;-)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqHFti;E30D9D9D-EFD2-4E2F-96D5-6FA4EE388C6E

You guys are doing it right.Blowing the whole thing apart and starting over.I should do the same but, probably won't. I had wondered what these would look like in black,so thanks for the update and looks great.Top material and side windows are still on my want list. Good job. Rick

Rick

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the radio silence but I've been away.

I will take photos of the new top and side screens later this week and post them for you to have a look at and if you are interested, just drop me a line and make me an offer. :-)

We are in the process of making a new dash for the Duke, in metal and with the radio located in the glove box... It's almost ready to be taken off, stripped down and sent off to be sprayed black, to match the rest of the bodywork.... Thought you may be interested to see the result, so far. ;-)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqHFti;E30D9D9D-EFD2-4E2F-96D5-6FA4EE388C6E

Thanks for posting I enjoy seeing your work & progress

Bruce

That gloss black finish is stunning.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Teaser shots will probably be the order of the day between now and Wednesday but here is a nice one of the front with the train horns removed and suitable ss100 style horns in place.... The headlights have wire grills which will only be fitted after the Vehicle agency inspection on Monday morning as time is too short, meaning that the priority now is to get all the bits needed to pass inspection, done and do the final cosmetics between Monday evening and Wednesday lunchtime, prior to her maiden outing at the Goodwood Revival in England.... Not exactly my idea of the perfect destination for an initial shakedown run though, if I'm being honest. ;-(

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqHFti;DA849666-8A09-4AA7-BF4B-EDC6C5065DD6

Well, after a weekend consisting of many hours of rebuilding work, it is obvious that the Duke will not be in a state to be able to be used to go to this years' Goodwood Revival. :-(

It appears as though the surface preparation which the bodyshop did on some of the body panels, was not up to scratch and that paint has already started lifting on a couple of panels. The panels in question will be redone, properly, but it can't be rectified in time for my departure for England on Wednesday.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqHFti;53907C9E-DA00-467E-A59A-B9BDA8ECCA47

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25oqs3qqHFti;CC1CD39D-1FF9-422A-B7FC-BE5EBE37B79F

C'est la vie.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A Buyer came by, looked over the Duke, and purchased it. The Duke SS-100 Roadster headed out to its new life of parade duty and summery days.

11126661_10153255389371823_2306872918530

10986909_10153255389351823_7385551887429

Bruce

That's absolutely uncanny..I also sold my Duke yesterday.I'm going to send the new owner this link.It is, by far,the best resource I have found on these cars.Thank you Bruce for all you have put in to this topic..

Rick

Archived