CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water leaking into trunk

Hello everybody,

I think I remember having read about water ingress into the trunk of 1998 - 2004 Sevilles.

Recently I noticed a musty smell in my trunk, and after removal of the spare wheel I found the well to be all wet.

After dismantling the liners and panels, I found that the water seems to find it's way through the rubber trunk lid seal.

If you look at the attached photo, I marked the area where a water puddle sat and where traces of water could be seen underneath showing the water's path.

The rubber seal is glued to the body with some permanently-sticky, non-hardening stuff.

The car is parked inside over night, but during the day it sits in an open space at my office, and we had lots of rain this spring.

Does somebody have an idea what's the reason for this leakage and how to seal it?

Thanks

Stefan

post-1136-0-92830600-1370159346_thumb.jp

Have you tried replacing the seal. It is likely not tight enough to the lid and running down and in at the bottom

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hello Rock,

thanks for your idea. It looks like it has been replaced in the past. But I guess you are right about the seal sitting not tight enough.

I think 'ill use some windshield sealing stuff, a really permanent-sticky goo. If this is the cause, it should seal it.

Thanks

Stefan

There is a TON of information on this in the archives.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would just replace the seal. If it is leaking and you cannot be sure.

Does the trunk line up to the body properly?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hi,

the trunklid lines up perfectly, the car has never been in an accident.

Body parts are not readily available over here, and at least twice the price as in the US.

Thanks

Stefan

Archived