CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Will need a battery soon for my Deville

The original battery in my 2005 Deville is starting to show signs that it will need replacing soon. In the past, I've purchased AC Delco batteries and I can buy a AC Delco group 79 battery at the local wholesaler for $102.00. The AC Delco group 79 battery (79-6YR)has a six year warranty and a 30 month free replacement. The six year warranty caught me off guard as their other batteries (group 78) that I have in the Fleetwood and the STS are seven year batteries.

I was in Sams club a few days ago and they sell a Duracell brand manufactured by Johnson Controls (JCI) for East Penn battery company and it has a three year free replacement and an eight year pro-rated warranty. The cost at Sams is $109.00.

Exide had one fut their warranty was only 24 months so I wouldn't consider that one.

There are only four battery manufacturers in the US - AC Delco, Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Exide and they will build a battery to any specification their customer specifies but I wonder why the Delco battery's warranty is not as good as the JCI battery at Sams?

Anyone have expierence with the Duracell automotive batteries? I am considering one as the price is very close to the AC Delco wholesaler (seven bucks more than the Delco) and the warranty is better.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

....Anyone have expierence with the Duracell automotive batteries? I am considering one as the price is very close to the AC Delco wholesaler (seven bucks more than the Delco) and the warranty is better.

Sounds like a coin-flip to me, Kevin.

I associate the Duracell brand name with carbon-zinc dry cell batteries (Energizer). But Johnson Controls has a sterling reputation and I would not expect them to put their name (in fine print) on any battery brand they produce.

Maybe your decision can be influenced by how long you intend to drive the vehicle??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JIm,

I always thought the same about Duracell too. The Duracell automotive battery says East Penn Battery Co. on it and East Penn also has a stellar reputation. They make Deka Batteries which are the very best marine battery that can be bought.

I looked at the date code that was heat-staked on the battery and it did not match what I found online for East Penn's date coding system so I contacted East Penn and they told me that they outsourced the manufacturing of the Duracell automotive batteries to Johnson Controls. The date coding matched JCI's information online.

I plan to drive the car as long as I possibly can. I have had my Fleetwood Brougham for almost 20 years now - I keep cars for a long time.

I have had good luck with AC Delco batteries except for one that leaked acid from the positive terminal due to a poor design change in the early 2000s. AC Delco has corrected the design issue and I have not had further issues. The thought that is in the back of my mind is why does the AC Delco group 79 battery only have a 6-year warranty when their other AC Delco batteries have a 7 year warranty?

The Duracell battery has a free replacement period that is 6 months longer than the AC Delco and the warranty is 33% longer for only $7.00 more than the AC Delco..

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I put an energizer from sams club in my 2000 deville in about 2007 (7 years lasted on oe delco like yours) and it worked fine. Only used it for another 2-3 years so didn't test it a long time but it kept up with my aftermarket stereo as well as the delco. I bought it because it was the cheapest battery that wasn't at walmart. Al the parts stores offer rediculous long warranties now that make the price rediculous.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I put an energizer from sams club in my 2000 deville in about 2007 (7 years lasted on oe delco like yours) and it worked fine. Only used it for another 2-3 years so didn't test it a long time but it kept up with my aftermarket stereo as well as the delco. I bought it because it was the cheapest battery that wasn't at walmart. Al the parts stores offer rediculous long warranties now that make the price rediculous.

The Duracell battery from Sams, made by Johnson Controls has a 3 year free replacement and an 8 year pro-rated warranty. It's $109.00. An equivalent battery at Autozone is $155.00. An equivalent Interstate Battery (also made by Johnson Controls) is $140.- $189.00!

I'm going to call AC Delco and see what they have to say about the warranty on their group 79 battery.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived