CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

crankshaft position sensors and variation learn

I've posted here a few times in the last year about continuing performance issues with my 2002 Deville. (swapped engine with block / head bolt Time-Serts installed... new TCC, torque converter and one cracked motor mount replaced.)

I've had a problem ever since with a kind of "fish hook" (as I've best heard it described) when I let off the gas at speeds between 30-55mph. (around town speeds only, highway driving seems fine) I've got no codes, no vaccume leaks... nothing I can locate to date, and dozens of hours searching.

** Last week it wouldn't start on 1st try then stalled out on me twice within 1 mile of the house, but restarted immediately. (2-3 times I've had it not start on the first try in the last year- but NEVER stalled out on me before.) So I got home and ran the codes:

PO335/ current- CKP Sensor A Circuit Performance

PO386/ history- Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Performance

P1372/ current- Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A-B Correlation

I would love some help with these questions please:

1. (I bought both sensors- $105.00 at local NAPA) I've changed crank sensors in other vehicles before...BUT never in the Northstar engine. I DO NOT own or have access to a scan tool. Do I understand correctly that I will have to tow this thing to the dealer (or certified GM tech) to do a half hour job for me? (I enjoy fixxing my old car, not paying someone to do it for me, ya' know?)

2. I just read that after ANY PCM work, engine replacement, crankshaft of crank sensor replacement "the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure must be performed."

Anybody out there have experience with this?

3. Is it possible to replace these sensors and then drive the 12 miles to the dealer to do this relearn or will I damage the engine and/or the parts?...

I am dying to complete this repair because I am sure this relearn was never done by the mechanic who replaced my motor, and now I'm kind'a hoping this is the performance issue I've been looking for...

Either way I can't drive untill this is taken care of, so any input on this subject would help.

-Thankyou.

I had the same issue last year I changed then myself and didn't do the relearn and my car hasn't stalled yet.I think it will throw a code if it needs to be relearned

sts03

If your car is fwd like mine all you need is long 3/8 extension and 3/8 swivel and there are some brake lines on the frame that are connected by a bracket un bolt that bracket so you can her your arm through so you can get the sensors out then new ones ones in

sts03

Yes, my 2002 Deville is front wheel drive. I think mechanically our cars are very similar.

I found the procedures for replacing these solenoids and it's a 15-30 minute job BUT, I don't know about this "scan tool- relearn" business and I don't want to replace them then go bombing off on a test drive and do any more damage.

I did read that, if improperly done, it will throw codes... and probably more of my money!

I didn't do the relearn and my car hasn't cut off or stalled since changing also I didn't get any codes since I talked to a few mechanics and they said it isn't necessary to relearn and if it did u would know cause the engine will miss and throw a code .u should be fine unless u don't mind paying between 300-600 cause that's the quotes I got so I did it my selfand no problems since

sts03

The crankshaft sensors only go in one way just make sure you put the right one in each spot I think they either side by or on top of each other can't remember.make sure they click in then bolt them in.put oil on the o ring

sts03

Part of my original question was if my "fish-hooking" or "engine sputtering" (a reoccurring problem for past year) might have been caused by PCM not having been "re-learned" when the motor was changed last year. But you've kinda' answered that, it would have been throwing codes, and it isn't.

I'm going to install the new solenoids tonight and test drive after traffic has cleared out. Thank you for the input. I was afraid someone would post that it isn't reset properly I could damage the crankshaft or valves or some other inexpensive part.

The Northstar has a pretty intelligent computer and as soon as I got this problem I stopped running it, so hopefully nothing is too far out of whack and it just needs new solenoids.

I'll check back before I start the work tonight in case someone else has posted otherwise, and I'll update tomorrow and let you know how it worked out.

-Thanks.

Ok yeah I had my tranny changed a couple of months ago and someone told me it will relearn on its own.the crank shaft sensors may help with the stuttering

sts03

That was a suprisingly painful opperation. Easy, but painful... and I don't have large hands.

I didn't pull any motor mount bolts, just removed the brake line bracket for a little more room. The bottom solenoid took 20 minutes to get out and for a while I thought it was really siezed in! It was swollen up, and chipped a little on the inside edge. (ugly) Also it was a slightly different design than the new one. (scary)

But besides that , a very simple job. I reset the codes, let it warm up at idle and took her for a few mile test drive- NO PROBLEMS, NO CODES!

Too much traffic last night to open it up or really see if the shudder / fish hook feeling has gone. I'll try that later today. The bottom solenoid was beaten up and I'm happy to have it out of there.

THANK YOU for your advice and input on this, it was sounding like a much more expensive job 24 hrs ago!

Steve M. here:

I'm awaiting a response on here to my Post from my confidant, Texas Jim re this same problem: Code P0386, Mod $10; Crankshaft Position Sensoor; Range B

RE. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR(S) REPLACEMEMT:

Texas Jim has kindly responded to my request re. replacing Crankshaft Position Sensor(s). Any other comments/advice on this task will be appreciated. I want to make the job go as smoothly as possible.

contact via email is no problem, and more expeditious: SMihaly137@aol.com

Thanks much.

Steve M.

Archived