CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

#1 cylinder not firing

blacktop

My #1 cylinder is not firing ,I have changed the intake gasket,new distributor,wires,injector, spark plugs and the computer (ECM). Is there a particular problem with this car thats not obvious i,m overlooking or that,s so strange that only a few would be aware of need help folks

Have you made certain that the plug for number 1 is getting spark, as in pulled off the plug wire and seen a half-inch spark to ground from it? Also, what does the plug itself look like? Does it smell like gas?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My #1 cylinder is not firing ,I have changed the intake gasket,new distributor,wires,injector, spark plugs and the computer (ECM). Is there a particular problem with this car thats not obvious i,m overlooking or that,s so strange that only a few would be aware of need help folks

Was the #1 cylinder firing before you did all the work? What was the reason you replaced the injector, ECM, and distributor?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Was the #1 cylinder firing before you did all the work? What was the reason you replaced the injector, ECM, and distributor?

because it was not hitting is why i did all the work its firing but not at the right time

Check your distributor wiring. The 4.9 firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, same as the SBC and most other V8s. Don't change the position of cylinders that are firing, or guess and pull and move wires, because that will tear down what you have and set you back to a blank sheet of paper with no manual and no instructions. I would find the wires for 2 and 8 and see which cylinder is between them; if it's not 1, then you have a problem. If it *is* 1, then you have a cross-fire or compression problem.

One quick check you can do now is to use a compression checker on number 1. I don't see a number in my Chilton's but you can compare the compression reading to that in number 3 or whatever other cylinder that you find convenient.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived