CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Octane Rating

giantdismoas

curious as to what octane rating the newer cadillacs are using. Also, what Octane rating should i put in the 81 eldo?

The 93-99 Northstar cars recommend 92 octane for best power. The 00-04 FWD Northstar cars recommend 87 octane for best power (more octane will not help in this case). I'm not sure what the RWD Northstar cars advise. It should be in the owner's manual. For that '81, I'm going to guess it recommends 87 octane, as compression ratios weren't exactly "high" in the early 1980s.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Actually, my Dad noticed a significant performance increase, between using regular and premium fuel, in his 01 DTS (the latter having the advantage). I believe just because these newer Northstars are able to run fine on regular fuel (due to the computer adjusting the spark), they really come alive when they are able to drink from higher octaines.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I believe just because these newer Northstars are able to run fine on regular fuel (due to the computer adjusting the spark), they really come alive when they are able to drink from higher octaines.

The 93-99 Northstars run fine on regular fuel, because they do retard the spark, but they are optimized for premium fuel. However, the 2000+ engines are optimized for regular fuel, so there should be no spark retardation at that octane. And bbobynski has let us know before that even with an earlier engine, it probably wouldn't even be noticeable anyway (the performance difference). No more than 5 hp difference. Perhaps the regular fuel in your area has some impurities or is "cheap" or something?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

A higher-octane fuel allows your engine to more fully utilize the ignition advance, to improve power.

If your engine can fully utilize its ignition advance with a lower octane fuel, you should not notice any power difference between them.

That being said, my 93’ STS’s definitely prefer the higher octane. Although I can run either without any obvious problems, when I am climbing hills you can really tell the deference between them.

On the flats the lower octane is fine, until you want to increase your speed at a low rate (not WOT), there is a slightly sluggish feel to the throttle. Using WOT it will still get up and go.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I user only 97 octane fuel and the performance is optimal 11 km per liter, means 4.6 gallons per mile

At 11 km per L, I think you are closer to 27 MPG.

At 4.6 MPG you could only go about 4 miles between filling up.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I recalced and it looks closer to 25.8 MPG very respectable. Actually just press the MET/ENG button for a English readout.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Some of us will never totally understand that "metric" thing ......am I wrong US gang . B)

I couldn't agree more and I rensent having it forced upon me without being able to vote on it :angry:

Have you tried to use an fraction socket recently under your hood? It's all metric. Tire sizes, all metric. Engine bolt threads, all metric. Granted, that is minor but as previously mentioned, I'll never get used to it.

Canada is metric, but USA still uses English measurments. How do you mean?
UK uses metric system as well. Perhaps they are not that "patriotic" and just use a system which is more convenient in any respect. I do not care much of units. Indeed, why centimeters are better than say, inches? But how can one be in love with fractions?! I can imagine what is 19 mm easily, but when it comes to something like 17/64... it is really beyond my imagination, and I have to get a calculator. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I guess it's what you were brought up with. I can't argue that metric may be simpler but "old habits die hard" and "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" all are very true.

Archived