CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BOSE speaker

joeb

96 seville, BOSE system. looking for used/new rear deck speakers. found a 96 seville at junkyard. has non-BOSE headunit. has no digital sound processing. took off door panel and speaker is large plastic box marked bose. has small internal amp. rear speakers are 6x9 with magnet mounted amp and are marked BOSE. car has cd changer in trunk. been told at another website that system is obviously BOSE since speakers are labeled as BOSE. I bought rear speakers and they sound a little better than before. I assumed bose/non-bose systems were different. never took apart doors on non-bose car before to see what actually was inside. maybe the HU is the only thing that is different. that is, both cars have identical speakers but no signal processing. funny, i never use the DSP anyways.

The door units of the Bose systems are active speakers with acoustic wave that gives you that Bose bass, with separate power/ground and audio in a shielded twisted pair. The other non-Bose system speakers have just two leads in one connector.

You can tell for sure what came from the factory by looking at the options plate in the spare tire well, or on its cover. Option UQ4 had four Bose speakers. It was part of a package combining UT0/UQ4/U1S on Eldorado and Deville or UP2/UQ4/U1S on the Eldorado and Seville (1997 FSM p. 9A-2). The option codes are (FSM p. 0A-21):

UT0: Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Music Search Cassette, HPS, Clock, Electronic Display

UP2: Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse, Music Search Cassette, HPS, Clo9ck, Electronic Display [and DSP]

UQ4: Speaker system Bose, 4

U1S: Player, Multiple compact Disc

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When I had to part with my 96 eldorado I pulled and sold the Bose speakers and let me just say They sold so fast they wer gone within the first day. For me all I needto do is see the head unit and hear the sound and I can for sure tell whether it is Bose or not.

Also almost every Bose cadillac I have ever come across has a BOSE label on the display of the stereo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

jim, your data seems to show only 1 speaker option. UQ4. is there another speaker option for 96? whether or not the HU says BOSE is some info but the lack of the DSP buttons on the HU is also a bit of info. i found a car with bose speakers and non-bose HU. did not check the option plate though.

JoeB: I dobn't have a 1996 FSM but I was told when I bought the cars that there was little to no difference between 1995-1998 El Dorados, but I did hear soon after that satellite radio was available in 1998 (they were trying to get me to trade before I paid for the car!).

I just showed the Bose optional radios. Here is the list of domestic radio options for the 1997 model year from the FSM page 9A-2:

E/K, Base, U1L/UW6, AM/FM Cassette - 6 Speakers

Ksp (Deville Only), Base, U1L/UW6, AM/FM Cassette - 6 Speakers

E/K, Option, UT0/UQ4/U1S, BOSE ® - 4 speakers, AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer

Ksp - Deville, Option, UT0/UQ4/U1S, AAS - 11 speakers, AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer

Ksp - Concours, Base, UT0/UQ6/U1S, AAS - 11 speakers, AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer

E/K, Option, UP2/UQ4/U1S, BOSE ® - 4 speakers, up-level AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer/DSP

Ksp, Option, UT0/UQ6/U1S, AAS - 11 speakers, up-level AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer

Export systems are quite different, with two each listed for Japan, Saudi Arabia, and Europe, all "Base" except a U1S option for Europe.

Japan - E/K, Base, UP2/UK1/U1S/UQ4, Bose ® - 4 Speakers, up-level AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer and DSP

Japan - Ksp, Base, UP2/UK1/U1S/UQ6, AAS - 11 speakers, up-level AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer and DSP

Saudi Arabia - E/K, Base, UL3/UL2/U1S/UQ4, BOSE ® 4 speakers, AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer and DSP

Saudi Arabia - Ksp, Base, UL3/UL2/U1S/UQ6, AAS - 11 speakers, AM/FM Cassette/CD Changer and DSP

Europe - E/K, Base, UP5/UL2/UQ4, BOSE ® - 4 speaker AM/FM Cassette, DSP and RDS

Europe - E/K, Option, U1S, CD Changer

The option codes are, from page 0A-21:

UL3: Radio, AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Music Search Cassette, HPS, Clock, Electronic Display

UP2: Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse, Music Search Cassette, HPS, Clock, Electronic Display [and DSP]

UP5: Radio, AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse, Music search Cassette, HPS, Clock, Electronic Display, Data System

UQ4: Speaker System, Bose, 4

UQ6: Speaker System 11, Quad Front Door-Mounted, Quad Rear Door-Mounted, Dual Rear Shelf, Center I/P, Amplifier

UT0: Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Music Search Cassette, HPS, Clock, Electronic Display

UW6: Speaker system 6, Dual Front Door Tweeter and Woofer, dual Extended Range, Shelf

UW7: Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Cassette, Clock, Electronic Display

U1L: Radio, AM Stereo and FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto/Rev Music Search Cassette, Clock, Electronic Display

U1S: Player, Multiple Compact Disc

UK1: Not Given, apparently a radio for the AM/FM bands used in Japan, probably a modification of UT0, or UP2 if with DSP

UL2: Not Given, apparently a radio for the AM/FM bands used in Europe and Saudi Arabia, probably a mod of UTO or UP2

Abbreviations are, from 1997 FSM pages 0A-13 through 0A-18 except as noted:

FSM: Factory Shop Manual, a Caddyinfo acronym

HPS: High Performance System

AAS: Active Audio System; given in FSM page 9A-1 and 9A-4, used in the 11 speaker systems

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

without looking at option tag there is no way to tell what was in car from factory. i do see the e/k base with 6 speakers though. i wonder if the eldo has a different speaker package than seville?

without looking at option tag there is no way to tell what was in car from factory. i do see the e/k base with 6 speakers though. i wonder if the eldo has a different speaker package than seville?

Sure does. No rear doors mean no rear door speakers. :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

jim, your data seems to show only 1 speaker option. UQ4. is there another speaker option for 96? whether or not the HU says BOSE is some info but the lack of the DSP buttons on the HU is also a bit of info. i found a car with bose speakers and non-bose HU. did not check the option plate though.

It is rare but some setups have subsystems without BOSE. Like I found a 97 deville with a subsystem but without BOSE ,and it had a 12 disc changer and factory amp

GM FAN FOREVER

i think the eldo/sevilles are the only bose 4 speaker setups. the devilles have 6 or 11 speaker setups. are there bose devilles out there?

The E/K are Eldorado and Seville platforms. The Ksp are the Devilles, I believe. Sombody check and make sure that K isn't both Seville and Deville, and Ksp is the commercial chassis.

The E/K are Eldorado and Seville platforms. The Ksp are the Devilles, I believe. Sombody check and make sure that K isn't both Seville and Deville, and Ksp is the commercial chassis.

I could be wrong but isnt the deville Z platform, maybe I am retarded I am not sure lol

GM FAN FOREVER

I think that the earlier RWD Devilles were on the D platform, which ended production in 1996. The Deville last used it in 1988 and used the C platform from 1989 through 1992 or 1993. From 1994 through 1999, the Deville and Seville were on the K platform, which had an update for 1998 that the E platform did not share. The Eldorado was on the E platform, which was identical mechanically other than having a 6" shorter wheelbase and two doors from 1992 through 1997. See the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_platforms#Front_wheel_drive

Also see links from the entries, and the table of RWD platforms on the same page. The Wikipedia information there doesn't address my original question because of some fuzziness in dates and details, such as whether the Deville used the C or K platform in 1993, and reference to the 4.9 liter as an HT4900 when the "HT" was not used on the 4.5 liter or 4.9 liter, only on the 4.1 liter; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Deville#1994.E2.80.931999. Also, the data on the Wikipedia pages does not address the commercial chassis at all.

I have seens 2 Devilles with bose, 1 a 1997, and 1 a 1999,

the 99 also has theftlock feature. So they are rare but do exist

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived