CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 Cadillac SRX Upper Dash Pad Removal

davedog

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I posted, but I have a question.

While making the 1610 mile Thanksgiving trip this year, I had a lot of time to stare at the inside of my caddy. :lol: I noticed a big crack on what I believe is called the 'upper dash pad'. This is the plastic piece were defrosters come out, where the daylight sensor is mounted, ect. Pretty bad IMO for a 2005 garage kept Cadillac to have this happening, but what can you do. I called the dealership, they want ~$212 for it! Found one on ebay for much cheaper. Before I order one, does anyone have instructions on how to remove/replace this? If I have to pull apart the whole dash or something I'll live with the crack. It looks to me like it would come out without removing anything else, but I'm not sure. Pictures would be great it you have them.

THANKS!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I think that is BS, that it cracked already, Id be on the phone with the regional manager about it, telling them that 15000 Cadillac owners are upset by this at Caddyinfo.com, and its NOT acceptable for a dash pad to crack so soon, unless of course someone in your family pounded on it or something..but if it cracked on its own as you say, that is not right

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I concur. It's just me and my wife - no kids or anything to pound on it, and where it's located it'd be hard to get your fist or foot or anything between it and the windshield to damage it. We baby it. And there is actually a 2nd smaller crack on the other end as well. So it seems to be prematurely wearing out. Depending on how hard ir is to replace I may try calling Cadillac...i don't know if they'd care or not as I'm out of warranty...

-dave B)

Sorry to hear. Was the $212 for the parts or for parts and installation? I would check rockauto.com and gmotors.com for discount new parts.

Looks like your photobucket account is sleeping; didn't know they did that.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I want to say something here.

I may seem harsh at times, as exhibited by the statement I made above, if you take my statements out of context

I am no friend to you, if I tell you what you want to hear

A true friend will tell you the truth at all times, risking the relationship to do so. The truth does in fact hurt.

A dash pad that cracks as this one, in only 3 or 4 years based on our experience of dash pads, to me, is a defect, a serious defect, that GM has to know about PRONTO. It shows the average CONSUMER who recommends these cars to others, and who will buy another one one day, SHODDY materials. If they have leased the car, they are NOW on guard, and will be reluctant to BUY it.

GM should GLADLY replace something like this, send it to the LINE/FACTORY/HEAD HONCHO and find out WHY and STOP it NOW! If they are aware of it, it needs to be replaced. That is the way Japanese car companies have done business to gain trust and respect. Neither the car OR the manufacturer must look cheap to the buying public.

They are competing with some strong car manufacturers and MUST sell a good product, no pansy azz wimpy *smurf*, period. They should FIX it, learn from it and STOP it from happening, and STOP blaming SUPPLIERS...

Give the public quality, instances of Getrag differential problems, timing chain problems must NEVER reach the public and when it does it MUST be handled correctly in order to save and BUILD their reputation

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I want to say something here.

I may seem harsh at times, as exhibited by the statement I made above, if you take my statements out of context

I am no friend to you, if I tell you what you want to hear

A true friend will tell you the truth at all times, risking the relationship to do so. The truth does in fact hurt.

A dash pad that cracks as this one, in only 3 or 4 years based on our experience of dash pads, to me, is a defect, a serious defect, that GM has to know about PRONTO. It shows the average CONSUMER who recommends these cars to others, and who will buy another one one day, SHODDY materials. If they have leased the car, they are NOW on guard, and will be reluctant to BUY it.

GM should GLADLY replace something like this, send it to the LINE/FACTORY/HEAD HONCHO and find out WHY and STOP it NOW! If they are aware of it, it needs to be replaced. That is the way Japanese car companies have done business to gain trust and respect. Neither the car OR the manufacturer must look cheap to the buying public.

They are competing with some strong car manufacturers and MUST sell a good product, no pansy azz wimpy *smurf*, period. They should FIX it, learn from it and STOP it from happening, and STOP blaming SUPPLIERS...

Give the public quality, instances of Getrag differential problems, timing chain problems must NEVER reach the public and when it does it MUST be handled correctly in order to save and BUILD their reputation

BBB: Not harsh at all, and I value your opinion and suggestion. In fact, I wasn't even thinking along the lines of getting them to fix it since it is out of warranty, but they more I think about it, the more I think I should at least try. No harm in that. You are 100% right, this should have never happened this early on.

Bruce: $212 was for the part + tax....no installation. I will install it myself if it isn't too bad (assuming Caddy doesn't want to fix this). Just can't seem to find any info on how it comes off....

there is ONE (1) on ebay - will cost me about $60 shipped. <_<

It's a piece of PLASTIC for cryin' out loud! Not gold!

I need to look into my Photobucket account thing <_<

Thanks again!

also, if anyone happens to have a guide or pictures of how to remove the dash pad from a CTS of similar year - this may help as I think it is similar. Thanks in advance

I know that this may not be the way you want to go but there are carpeted dash covers out there that you could purchase to hide the fact that it is cracked. Might be a bit cheaper too. Here is one that I found and they look fairly decent... http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?...r:referralID=NA

Like I said probably not the answer you are looking for but it's an alternative.

Also, still searching around for pics for the removal of that bad boy not sure if someone here on the board has em or not but I'll kick it around the ole Google and see what we find :)

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

Thanks Sean. Yeah, I'm not in to the carpet covers - but that's just me. ;)

This is the closest thing I've found on Google:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/navconvert/index.html

Looks Pretty simple:

"Pry the front dash cover (the front cover with the defroster vents and the light sensor) up at one corner until you release one of the 4 clips, and slowly work your way across the dash until you have pried the complete unit up. Pull it toward you slightly, then let it sit on the dash (the light sensor wires will still be attached). "

No good pics though. If I go through and do the replacement myself, I WILL be back here to post pics and instructions.....

The dash pads of 1993-1996 Fleetwoods are known to crack badly. My car's a Florida one, so Florida sun has cracked it in several places.

The cracks are as wide as 1/8". Any time a new passenger gets in my car, after the first WOW they usually ask "what's THAT?!" pointing at the dash pad... The problem is so common that rockauto.com sells several carpet/fabric covers tailored especially for 1993-1996 Fleetwoods. Okay, my car is 14 years old. Not sure when the cracks actually occurred though. But cracks on a four-years-old Cadillac dash pad are just unacceptable! That just tells that GM does not really learn from mistakes IMHO.

Davedog, I would rather ignore the cracks than pay $212. Chances are you will have to replace the new one in a few years. You might also consider a nice fabric/carpet cover for $20-$30.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

well, I took the plunge and ordered the one and only one that was listed on ebay: $28 + $30 shipping. That to me is an acceptable price. And I don't believe the seller to be making (much) money off of me on shipping, considering the size and odd shape of the item.

I considered fighting over it with Cadillac - but I honestly don't have time. And this being the only one listed on ebay, I didn't want to gamble losing it.

Once I figure out how this bad boy installs I will post pics and instructions here.

Between now and then if anyone should come across instructions for removal/installation on a 2004-2006 SRX/CTS please post them here.

I really WANT to continue to buy Cadillacs for life (this is my third car and my third Cadillac), and overall I LOVE this vehicle, but little things like this make me wonder....

Thanks again guys.

-dave B)

I considered fighting over it with Cadillac - but I honestly don't have time. And this being the only one listed on ebay, I didn't want to gamble losing it.

I really WANT to continue to buy Cadillacs for life (this is my third car and my third Cadillac), and overall I LOVE this vehicle, but little things like this make me wonder....

This is why you need to discuss the situation with the dealer and/or regional GM rep. - to make sure the actual data gets back to the manufacturer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

FWIW, my 2005 SRX dash cracked too - sounds like it's in the exact same spot as yours. I never even gave it a second thought -- didn't think I had any recourse. Guess I'll add it to my list of beefs about this car (see "there goes Christmas") -- my earlier post. So discouraging.

FWIW, my 2005 SRX dash cracked too - sounds like it's in the exact same spot as yours. I never even gave it a second thought -- didn't think I had any recourse. Guess I'll add it to my list of beefs about this car (see "there goes Christmas") -- my earlier post. So discouraging.

Yes, and here is my list:

cracked wheel well - under warranty - NOT fixed (NO Cadillac, I DID NOT run over 'something' - no other damage - COME ON!), 'fixed' my me.

oil consumption - well documented online for this year/model - brought to their attention under warranty, they say it's 'within spec' (went through 1/2 quart on the 500 mile trip up north)

on my third rear end - they get NOISY and CLUNKY in reverse - well documented online for this year/model - fixed under warranty both times

very intermittent turn signal inoperable - documented online for this year/model - brought to their attention under warranty SEVERAL TIMES, wrote a letter to cadillac, they FINALLY replaced the hazard switch (WHAT???) problem still occurs, they don't seem to care

weather stripping around hatch dried up and fell apart - under warranty - fixed under warranty (props, but this car ISN'T THAT OLD!)

backup lights stopped working due to broken wire in wiring harness - 'fixed' under warranty once by dealership, fixed a 2nd time out of warranty by me

AND the now cracked dash pad - out of warranty - part on it's way

The above would be acceptable to me on a 14 year old car with 100k miles on it - not on a garage kept 2005 with 52k.

/end rant

sorry for the rant guys

Again, I do like my SRX ALOT - GM just needs to really work on simple quality issues. I will post back with some useful information when the part arrives....I promise.

GM Customer Service added a twitter account with real people at http://www.twitter.com/GMCustomerSvc

I linked this article to them.

@GMCustomerSvc 2005 SRX dashpad issue http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24601

They responded with info on how to get a Helm's Shop manual, which at least suggests they read the thread:

@Caddyinfo You are able to order a service manual from Helm Publications ph# 800-551-4123 Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm EST. or www.helminc.com.

To which I responded yes, but the part about the dashpad cracking...

@GMCustomerSvc thanks; I love my helm's shop manuals and the pc version. Wanted to share the dashpad cracking concern.

So, I would say they have been advised. If you would post a picture of the pre-fixed dash with the crack that would be good documentation also.

Given that you have ordered a replacement off ebay, what would you consider a good gesture on GM's part at this point? On the one hand out of warranty is out of warranty, but I do appreciate the feeling that this part should have lasted longer than it did without cracking.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

wow bruce, what can I say! Thanks for taking the time to pass this on and follow this! Good to know about the twitter thing. I hope that you guys can appreciate that I did not come here with the intention of bashing GM or venting about my situation - just wanted info on 'how to' really. Sorry it kind of snowballed into this.

And I totally agree with all of you that this shouldn't happen, but with my limited success getting this sort of thing resolver UNDER warranty (GM NEVER replied to my letter about the turn signal, not even a canned response) - I hope you guys can understand my choice to go ahead and grab this part because of the deal I got on it.

Bruce, again thanks for fighting for me. I'm not sure what a good gesture from GM would be at this point. Even though I already ordered the part - it is a used part, and I still wouldn't mind them putting a new pad in, and me not having to fight with install/removal. But like you said, a warranty is a warranty, and that's another reason I decided to just by the replacement part. They are under no obligation to fix this, and I understand this. I'm not passing judgment on them for that at all, I'm just with you guys, this stuff should last longer than 2k miles out of warranty!

Anywho, here are the pics for whatever it's worth.

Here is the big crack:

35n7g4z.jpg

and the other smaller one:

2eqbc5e.jpg

Keep in mind these cracks are on opposite ends of the dash pad!

Bruce, again, I can't say thank you enough! I kind of feel bad now that you went to all that trouble....I could have totally taken the time to post on twitter. Lesson learned. :blush:

Is this the Getrag differential in this car that CONTINUES to go bad three times?

I dont think GM understands. I have a friend who has a 2008 CTS, its beautiful. It dropped dead and the timing chains were the cause. It was in the shop for a week, and they made her RENT a car!, while at the same time billing GM for a rental car. Sleezy stuff.

She has had a couple of problems related to sensors, she owns the car, and worries about owning it long term. Last month she went to a Mercedes dealer to see if she could trade it in... She does not recommend it to friends saying, yes its beautiful, but I have had a lot of problems with it!!! It makes me sick to my stomach to hear that, but, you cant blame her, its time to wake up

Is this the Getrag differential in this car that CONTINUES to go bad three times?

Yup. That's the one. This third one is doing better that the last two....but I'm not holding my breath. I waited until my warranty was almost over to get it replaced the final time so I could get the most life out of it out of warranty (pretty bad I have to plan it out like this). The guys at the dealership see this ALL THE TIME according to them. The last time I had it replaced they tried to sell me an extended warranty. The conversation went something like this: "You know as many times as this as had to be replaced you should consider an extended warranty from us."

OR MAYBE they should come up with a fix that actually works. <_<

-dave B)

As y'all know...I have a 2006 DTS that I bought new to replace the 2006 DTS that burned in my garage fire.

The one that burned had 40,000 miles on it

This one now has over 72,000 miles on it.

Both of them were have been in the shop a few times..."ALL" of the shop visits were for various electrical problems.

This has left a slight bad taste in my mouth...but only a slight one. :D

I still love the car. :D

Compared to most of my previous Cadillacs, these two have been the most trouble prone.

But on the other side...so far, with over 110,000 total miles on the two cars, I have had "ZERO" mechanical problems.

On my 1980 Cadillac Sedan de Ville...I had it for almost 21 years and put 250,000 on it.

-0- mechanical problems.

Every three or 4 years had to replace the power antenna.

I did put a set of plugs in it at 175,000 miles.

The ones I took out looked almost as good as the new ones I put in it. :D

When I sold it, it still had the original plug wires.

The 1984 Fleetwood Brougham de Elegance I bought with only 3,000 miles on it was still running good 17 years later when I sold it.

Had very, very few issues with it, in all that time.

This is just my humble opinion, but the quality control doesn't seem to be up to the standard of the older ones.

Granted...the newer ones are a "LOT" more complicated than the older ones, especially the electronics part, which may account for some of the issues they have.

But all that being said...my next Car will be another Cadillac...Probably another DTS Performance Sedan.

I really do like the way they run and the way they hold the road.

Posted Image

This has left a slight bad taste in my mouth...but only a slight one. :D

I still love the car. :D

But all that being said...my next Car will be another Cadillac...Probably another DTS Performance Sedan.

I really do like the way they run and the way they hold the road.

Jim, what you wrote pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. Disappointed, but still pretty much addicted to these Cadillacs... :rolleyes::D

-dave

OK Guys, wanted to update on this so maybe this can help someone else.

Not only will these instructions help with the upper dash-pad removal/re installation in the SRX, but these instructions will also be useful for someone wanting to replace the center speaker (if equipped) or the light sensor.

First off, I ran into a problem as soon as the part arrived. The SRX has an optional center speaker that is included as part of the Bose premium sound package. My SRX has this setup. Well, the dash-pad I ordered was apparently pulled from an SRX that did not have this option. While it looked like there was a speaker grill in the center of the new dash-pad - it was fake, there were no holes in the 'grill'. I was SO frustrated when I realized this! It never even crossed my mind that there would be another version of the dash-pad. After I 'slept on' the situation, and talked to my father-in-law we realized this would be fairly simple fix. We used a 1/16 drill bit (which was the perfect size to fit in each 'hole' of the fake grill), and drilled out all the holes. This took a lot of patience, but it was well worth it as when installed, you can't tell the difference, and it is functional!

So first you will want to use a flat blade screwdriver and carefully pry up one corer of the old upper dash pad. I put down an old rag to avoid damaging the rest of the dash where I was prying. There are four clips along the front of the upper dash pad. Ideally you want to do your first prying on one the the end clips. This is the hardest part, getting the first clip to pop.

DSC08496.JPG

once you get the first clip to pop, the rest come easy, i was able to do it by hand, working from the end I started at, and popping each clip, carefully, by hand. The dash pad then 'opens' towards the front of the car.

DSC08498.JPG

unplug the harness for the light sensor near the right side of the dash-pad for easy removal of the old dash-pad

DSC08499.JPG

this is what the dash looks like without the upper dash-pad. Notice the optional center speaker.

DSC08500.JPG

this is the backside of the old upper dash-pad. you can see the clips that you have to 'pop' along the bottom edge, and the clips that the pad 'hinges' into the dash with along the top edge

DSC08503.JPG

that's one nasty crack

DSC08504.JPG

the backside of the original dash pad - where the speaker grill is. the new dash pad was the same without the holes!

DSC08506.JPG

carefully modifying the new pad with a 1/16 drill bit

DSC08509.JPG

slow progress:

DSC08510.JPG

finally! this worked great! Now this dash-pad has a real speaker grill

DSC08512.JPG

new crack-free dash pad installed

DSC08513.JPG

the modified grill is now not only functional, but indistinguishable from the original!

DSC08515.JPG

This would have been a 5 min job if I had the right part, but for the price I paid, I'm not complaining! Hope this helps!

-dave B)

P.S. I had to just have links for some of the photos because apparently there is some sort of limit set to how many images you can post. Anyway you can fix this for this post Bruce? Thanks! Thanks Bruce, fixed the links and now all my images show in this post!

Archived