CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

do 2002 and 2003 models have head gasket issues?

I've searched the forum and didn't really find what I was looking for. I'm looking to buy a STS, but would like to know if there is a model year where improvement were made, or are less likely to have the issue. Are the '02 and'03 less likely to leak oil. I really love the way these cars drive, but I went through the head gasket and block half leak on my '95 sts and don't want to go through it again.

On a second note, is the magna ride (or whatever it is called) reliable on these?

I would not hesitate to purchase a 2002 or 2003 model due to worries over head bolts or head gaskets. I prefer the new RWD models, but that's a whole different issue. The case half seal issue I think was basically solved by 95 or 96 and also is not a reason to hesitate to purchase one of these great cars.

I have heard nothing but glowing reports on Magnaride, but certainly when they finally DO wear out, they will be more expensive to repair/replace than conventional shocks or struts. From all reports they are a terrific, world class addition to the line.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Improvement where made in 2000 and again in 2004. It is not immune, but MUCH less likely to suffer a HG failure. Magnaride is also MUCH more reliable than the previous CVRSS. No moving parts like valves etc.

My 1997 ETC has its original shocks and struts at 142,000 miles and they are fine. The RSS, ABS, level control, and Stabilitrak are all fine and have never had any service. There is no evidence that I need service to the suspension, although I think that if I replaced the stabilizer link bushings it would be a little quieter on rough roads. The original transmission is fine and has never been repaired. I have no codes. The car runs and handles great, and I get lots of complements on it.

The car has been scrupulously maintainable, by the dealer until it had over 80,000 miles on it, including servicing the transmission about every 30,000 miles. I parked it outside in L.A. until I moved to the East Coast (Philly area) in late 2000, after which it has been parked in a closed garage at night.

My head gaskets went at 116,500 miles and I got a Jasper reman. I had to replace the cat because it clogged a bit when it was using a lot of coolant, and again about a year later because the new one had apparently been dropped in shipment and was cracked; I got a code.

I was rear-ended by a Honda which took out my mufflers in 2006 and ended up with straight-through (not Turbo) mufflers, and have a superior exhaust note that turns heads and is objected to by no one. You can wilt a condescending owner of a new Mercedes or BMW with dealer paper plates simply by starting the car within hearing distance.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You can wilt a condescending owner of a new Mercedes or BMW with dealer paper plates simply by starting the car within hearing distance.

:lol:

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The 2002-2003 cars are much more reliable when it comes to head gaskets, but they are not bullet proof. The best of the best seem to be the 2004's but even a few of those have failed...

The 2000-2003 are known for bad water pump cover gaskets and bad crank sensors and a bad AIR system that can (and does) suck up water if the car is driven though a puddle while it is warming up... (avoid cars from Seattle and Vancouver ;) )

On my 2002 car with just shy of 100,000 miles I did have to replace one of my struts due to a mechanical failure... The complicated CVRSS part was fine, but the strut was about to literally fall apart, and I think that both rear shocks are leaking as my leveling compress pretty much comes on at EVERY stop light for 2 or 3 seconds.

These are great cars, and I love mine to death, but I would not place them in the "above average reliability" category.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived