CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

01 STS - Removal of driver side rear door panel

Hi everyone - so glad I found this site!

Hoping that someone can explain how to carefully do this or point me to a resource that can do so. My brother-in-law and I started in on it the other day and got as far as getting the edges free by detaching the plastic snaps (broke a couple of them, dang it!) but something in the area of the door handle still seems to be keeping the panel tightly attached. I'm really in need right now of avoiding the cost of labor by taking it in to a shop and am hoping I can do it myself with a little help and insight. At the same time, my STS is in mint condition and so I obviously don't want to be reckless and just tear things apart if there's a best way to proceed (which I'm guessing there is, I just haven't figured it out!). Any help as soon as possible is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome! I don't have my shop manual with me (I'm at work) but I do know that there is a plastic piece behind the interior door handle that pops out and there are one or two screws there, then where you grab to close the door, there is a flap there that lifts up and there is a screw there, too. I think there is a screw at the bottom of the door panel also...but that may just be the front door panels.

Charles

Ok, so far I've gotten the plastic panel behind the handle off and removed the single screw behind it. I also removed the one screw at the bottom of the door panel. I see that the perforated leather panel in the middle of the door is removable and that there are indeed two screws behind it in the area you mentioned, but it appears that the panel has to come off in order to reach the screws. I'm having a hard time with the panel removal - any hints, or just yank it off?

Thanks so much for your help - I figured it out! Removing the entire leather panel in the middle of the door was definitely a bad idea and I almost went through with it! You just have to be a little mean with that piece of the panel that comes down behind the handle and lift it up nice and high to get to those two screws. Those two really anchor the whole door panel down. After that, it's cake.

If by chance anyone else ever needs help with this same problem, I'm now an expert (somewhat)! Man it feels good to figure stuff out, DIY, and with success!!!

Man it feels good to figure stuff out, DIY, and with success!!!

It sure does!

:welcomesmiley:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

• 2 years later...

Hello. Once you get all the screws off, is there a trick to removing the panel? I started to take it off but didn't want to risk breaking anything. I'll likely get a shop manual (mainly for other use), but wanted to know if there was something else I'm missing. Thanks!!

Once you lift the panel off you will have to disconnect the cable for the handle and the wiring. For the cable there is a yellow clasp that needs to be swung out. Then you negotiate the pin out of its hole. Not too difficult. If you need to get to the regulator there is an interior panel that needs to be removed. There are a ton of white clips. You take a small screwdriver or punch and press the center of the clips. There is a pin there that needs to be pushed inward. Don't push too hard or you will push the pin all the way through the clip and into the door. You will then have to fish the pins out.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Archived