CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Deville Family Block heater (where is it)

jpaecorr

The Owners Manual should have info about it. Look at the fuse block to see if it has a fused circuit. If the car does have a block-heater it should have a electrical protection circuit. Usually block heaters are installed for the cold areas the car will be sold in. Maybe your vehicle was from a warm weather area.....just a thought.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

The block heater for the 1997 model year Northstar was a $100 option and is likely similar in your 2000 model. It's described in the two-page section 9E, where it is said to be option code K05. It's installed on the right rear of the block. You can probably add one by getting the heating element and cord from the dealer and installing it yourself if you're comfortable with working with the car on jack stands and dropping the engine frame in the rear a few inches; if not ask the dealer to install it. It comes with a storage pouch with an extension cord that plugs into a standard 110 Volt three-prong outlet. If it is installed, you will see the connector tied to the engine lift bracket just in front of the water pump.

Since it's powered by plugging into a three-wire 110 Volt outlet, it's not likely to be on the FSM electrical system diagrams and will have no fuse in the 12 Volt system.

In On-Vehicle Service gives a process for removing and installing the engine block heater, which essentially gives the process for installing one.

CAUTION (see (5) below: Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control which could result in personal injury.

NOTICE (see (5) below): The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the coil assembly in the steering column to become uncentered which will cause damage to the coil assembly.

Remove or Disconnect

1. Raise vehicle on frame contact hoist.
  2. Left front tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Left splash shield.
  4. Fuel line bracket from transmission.
  5. Intermediate shaft lower coupling.
  6. Front road sensing suspension position sensors at lower ball studs.
  7. Partially lower frame to gain access as described in Frame and Underbody.
  8. Cord from heater element.
  9. Heater element.
Install or Connect
  1. Heater element.
  2. Cord to heater element.
  3. Raise frame and tighten body mount bolts as described in Frame and Underbody.
  4. Front RSS position sensors at lower ball studs.
  5. Intermediate shaft lower coupling to steering gear.
  6. Fuel line bracket to transmission.
  7. Splash shield.
  8. Tire and wheel assembly.
  9. Lower vehicle.

The heating element attaches to the block with an integral clip that snaps over a cast boss on the engine block. The wires connected to the heating element are routed around the rear of the engine over the top just in front of the transmission flange, under the water pump, then up to the engine lift bracket.

Parking meters in Alaska have three-prong 100 Volt outlets which are used to plug in people's engine block heaters. If you park outside in subzero weather you use an extension cord. Your antifreeze is good only to -40 F or C at best (50%-50% antifreeze and distilled water), so you should use an engine block heater if you park your car in temperatures colder than about -25F or -30 C. I would use one if parking in temperatures below 0 F or -18 C for easier starting and to be gentler to the engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I think that is a misprint being the block heater is standard.

A block heater is shown on the RPO options list. 'KO5 heater engine block.'

Turns out there is a right and left side heater. I think the pic shows the front block heater. Rear one looks somewhat different.

See attached picture:

post-2-1225464376_thumb.png

HAHA. You guys rock! Thats the type of answer I was looking for.

I will check w/dealer to see based on VIN if that was an option. It sounds like it may be there but there is not a cord for that is hanging out in an obvious place if it is not used? I assume that the front/rear are tied together as to only require one cord?

ha. I wish our parkign meters had plugs on them. We put money in the meter and get crap in return. At least you get a little power for your quarters while your car is parked there.

The pictures put up by Logan are not what the 1997 FSM shows. The 2000 Northstar is different, so use Logan's figures.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I think it hast to be an option because otherwise the cars would not be viable in Alaska and some other places that have subzero temperatures. Then, there's the export market.

Notice the 'CA' in the link, and the warranty terms expressed as "4 years or 80,000 kilometres"! According to other pages on that site, Canadian-spec DeVilles and DTSes included the engine block heater as standard equipment until the 2007 model year, when it became an option. I think the block heater became standard on many GM models sold in Canada from the early '90s.

Archived