CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Ride Control

joanez

Question>>>I had my lower ball joint replaced,also Link arm. Left hand side. now my SERVICE RIDE CONTROL light comes on. Every time I start car when I pull off I hear a noise in front left and light comes on.

Codes most History

P036 P052 P095 P109 No IPC NO ACP NO SIR NO TCS S036 S044 S060 PCM?

I Know that My A/C Don't work Cadillac Dealer said the correction Need Suction Hose and Line Filter $680.00. Will have to wait on that.

Also dearler said I needed cradle , Rack and Pinion . $1610.00 Had that done

Any Help....

Thanks

:welcomesmiley:

Your 1994 SLS, which is similar enough to my car so that I can make some intelligent comments. As a 1994, your car will have OBD I. The codes:

P036 (E036) EGR Valve Pintle Position Out of Range

P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset

P095 (E095) Engine Stall Detected

P109 (E109) Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

S036 Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open

S044 Lift or Dive Signal Fault

S060 Left Front Position Sensor Fault

The P052 code tells me that your Check Engine light should be on because the EGR needs cleaning out. The P052 and P109 just mean that the battery has been out lately.

The Check Suspension messages are because the automatic leveling compressor and the left front position sensor are unplugged.

I would look for a good general-purpose mechanic that has experience with Nortstar Cadillacs. The dealer isn't always the best place to take a car over about 6 years old, although sometimes you need Mr. Goodwrench's training and special equipment or the GM repair warranty can make a dealer repair a good choice. Cleaning out the EGR isn't one of those things, nor is looking under the car for electrical wiring problems.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Your 1994 SLS, which is similar enough to my car so that I can make some intelligent comments. As a 1994, your car will have OBD I. The codes:

The P052 code tells me that your Check Engine light should be on because the EGR needs cleaning out. The P052 and P109 just mean that the battery has been out lately.

The Check Suspension messages are because the automatic leveling compressor and the left front position sensor are unplugged.

I would look for a good general-purpose mechanic that has experience with Nortstar Cadillacs. The dealer isn't always the best place to take a car over about 6 years old, although sometimes you need Mr. Goodwrench's training and special equipment or the GM repair warranty can make a dealer repair a good choice. Cleaning out the EGR isn't one of those things, nor is looking under the car for electrical wiring problems.

Thanks that is what I will do. My husband pasted 5 years ago.. He was the the who took care of the caddy. I love it and don't want to part with her. The P052 is History I had that repair done.

Could senors have been unplugged when the Rack and Pinion was done?

joanez

Thanks that is what I will do. My husband pasted 5 years ago.. He was the the who took care of the caddy. I love it and don't want to part with her. The P052 is History I had that repair done.

joanez

It is very possible that something was left unplugged.

In your first post, you said the LEFT FRONT was worked on.

As Jims_97_ETC noted above.... that is where your code is now coming from.

Posted Image

:fighting0025:

joanez

It is very possible that something was left unplugged.

In your first post, you said the LEFT FRONT was worked on.

As Jims_97_ETC noted above.... that is where your code is now coming from.

Yes, Now NEWS is BAD. !!!!!Was going to pick up granddaughter and my car dives like I have manual Steering???? Check codes all the same.. Must be the Rack and pinion I had put in....Call to take it back to the place I had the repair...He said to check power steering fluid...I did it is find...going to take it back at 10 today

Joanez

94SLS

Yes, Now NEWS is BAD. !!!!!Was going to pick up granddaughter and my car dives like I have manual Steering???? Check codes all the same.. Must be the Rack and pinion I had put in....Call to take it back to the place I had the repair...He said to check power steering fluid...I did it is find...going to take it back at 10 today

Joanez

94SLS

Sorry to hear that, let us know what they say... we will try to help and advise you ... if we can.

Posted Image

Hi, I just replaced the EGR valve on my 1996 sls. Sometimes the car would run ragged and the service engine light would come on when this happened. I had a friend to check the code and I searched on ebay until I found a brand new one for 65.00 plus shipping. Then I had my friend put it on for a smaller price than the dealership!!!

The rest of the EGR must be cleaned out, too.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

This is a 1994, with the EGR passages under the intake manifold through trenches in the heads. Over about 100,000 miles they fill up and clog. In the 1995 and up Northstars the EGR passages are metal hoses external to the heads but they still need to be cleaned out once in a long while.

I am up at 5:30am, got to make a decided on what to do!

My guy said he cleaned out the EGR Value..took it for a ride the code came back on!

The Power steering pump is bad,This however is under warranty...

Said that my springs need to be replace and Struds are also in bad shape...

also need need a bushing and control arm on left side (is broken)post-9003-1220095949_thumb.jpg

If the shocks and struts are original 1994 equipment I would believe that they need to be replaced. The suggestion that the springs need to be replaced makes me uncomfortable with the source of the advice. Normally the springs are good for the life of the vehicle or more. It's not like the spirngs are hugely expensive, and yes it is easy to do them if you are swapping the shocks and struts anyway, but it seems needless expense to me. What was the reason the mechanic feels the springs or struts need replacement?

At any rate, I would prioritize springs/struts last in terms of replacements, after any other problems/issues.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If the shocks and struts are original 1994 equipment I would believe that they need to be replaced. The suggestion that the springs need to be replaced makes me uncomfortable with the source of the advice. Normally the springs are good for the life of the vehicle or more. It's not like the spirngs are hugely expensive, and yes it is easy to do them if you are swapping the shocks and struts anyway, but it seems needless expense to me. What was the reason the mechanic feels the springs or struts need replacement?

At any rate, I would prioritize springs/struts last in terms of replacements, after any other problems/issues.

Yes the front are original. I had the back done 2 years ago.

When you push down on the front end you can hear a creaking noise, I asked him why my front end was so low???

When you push down on the front end you can hear a creaking noise: so to diagnose, one might put the car up on a lift then try to duplicate the movement and try to determine where the noise is coming from. We don't want to just throw parts at it, as that is expensive. When you drive do you hear the same creaking noises and does it bother you?

The ride height of the front end depends on a number of different issues. The correct way to diagnose the ride height is to follow the shop manual steps. I agree that in principle since the springs push up and the shocks/struts pull down, the springs would be a first guess if I had to guess without proper diagnosis. However, again you don't want to change the springs out without actually determining if that is what the problem is.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

When you push down on the front end you can hear a creaking noise: so to diagnose, one might put the car up on a lift then try to duplicate the movement and try to determine where the noise is coming from. We don't want to just throw parts at it, as that is expensive. When you drive do you hear the same creaking noises and does it bother you?

The ride height of the front end depends on a number of different issues. The correct way to diagnose the ride height is to follow the shop manual steps. I agree that in principle since the springs push up and the shocks/struts pull down, the springs would be a first guess if I had to guess without proper diagnosis. However, again you don't want to change the springs out without actually determining if that is what the problem is.

Thank You....Hopefully He will get the other things fixed today. will get back to after he calls.

I strongly suggest that you fix one thing at a time, posting questions and progress in this thread as you go along. I think perhaps that the first thing to do is to get the EGR working properly and get the Check Engine light out.

There is a small link on the suspension at each wheel that is connected to the ride height sensor. If one of these is disconnected, this will cause your "Service ride control" message.

Your car has automatic level control that operates through air pressure in the rear shocks. If the rear is slightly high, it might make the front look low. If you fix the height sensor on the front, the level control may work again. This kind of thing is why you want to fix one thing at a time. Use the OBD codes as long as there are any. OBD, on-board diagnostics, is your best friend.

Thank eveyone!!!!The EGR Cleaned out....Check Engine Light OUT! Power Steering Pump Replaced back to working find....YOU WERE RIGHT about left front Sensor......The wire is Broken, My Guy said the person who put the lower ball joints must of did it...He said this is a Dealer part but he will check up it on Tuesday. Also Creaking is only a bushing.

Angela, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but EGR valves rarely go bad. All it likely needed was a good cleaning.

Hi, I took my cadi to the cadi dealership where a friend of my works. He cleaned it really good for me and said it was getting stuck open. A few weeks later it started doing the same thing. Got a good price on a brandnew one off ebay. He put it on and it has been fine ever since. Real Talk!!

• 4 months later...

Any chance you can tell me where the left front position sensor might be located on a '94 Concours? I have the service ride control light, too, and it happened after a blow to the front end, so I'm wondering if the sensor might not have been involved.

Thank you.

Well, the S036 is a typical code that will cause the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message. This code indicates that there is an internal short to ground in the air compressor located on the right side at the rear, near the fuel tank. If you get on your back and look up towards the right wheel you will see the compressor.

Archived