CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS electrical problem NO START

this is a copy of my post from another forum:

I've had an ongoing problem with my 05 STS not starting. About a month ago, my car just wouldn't start. The lights and all acceseries would work fine, but when I would hit the start button, nothing, just the orange engine light for 20 seconds, then everything would kick back on. (the car kills everything but the engine light while starting when working normal). I baught a new battery which seemed to fix the issue. The next morning, car won't start again. Swapped the battery again and it worked.

Everything seemed fine for a day or two, then the car does it again. I fiddled with the battery connections (unscrewed then screwed them back in) and after a few more presses of the button, the car started and continued to work for a couple weeks. This lead me to believe that maybe the start button was worn and not making the full connection when pressed.

I swapped the start button and everything was fine for about a month. Now, same thing happening. I don't think its the battery because the car won't crank with a craftsman jumper charger connected either (and battery reads like 13 volts on the dash).

Here's what I've tried:

changed the starter switch.

swapped the starter relay for another identical relay in the fuse panel.

swapped the "crank/start" micro-relay with another identical in the fuse panel

unhooked the bolt which connects the ground cable to the strut tower and cleaned.

What else can I do here? I'm going to maybe have the battery swapped under warranty tomorrow. Any ideas of how to trouboeshoot this?

*MY POST FROM AFTER I GOT THE CAR TO START*

Battery was tested and is fine.

I checked the starter power wire and was seeing 12.4 volts. The purple wire feeding the starter solenoid was displaying .08 volts with no change when hitting the start button or with the remote start.

Decided to remove the starter relay and jump the points manually with a jumper wire; this made the starter turn over immediately. I put the relay back in and the car fired right up.

I'm not sure what this is telling me. It would seem the relay was bad but I tried another good relay earlier and the starter still didn't engage (and the relay is working fine now). I'm thinking either

1. the purple wire that feeds the starter solenoid may have an intermittent short or loose connection somewhere between the under-hood fuse panel (from the starter relay) and the starter solenoid

2. there is a short or loose connection somewhere between the start button and the trigger point for the starter relay (but maybe this is controlled with GMLAN command??).

What I don't know is why manually jumping the relay would make the symptom disapear? Any ideas?

Edited by hiljak

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

this is a copy of my post from another forum:

I've had an ongoing problem with my 05 STS not starting. About a month ago, my car just wouldn't start. The lights and all acceseries would work fine, but when I would hit the start button, nothing, just the orange engine light for 20 seconds, then everything would kick back on. (the car kills everything but the engine light while starting when working normal). I baught a new battery which seemed to fix the issue. The next morning, car won't start again. Swapped the battery again and it worked.

Everything seemed fine for a day or two, then the car does it again. I fiddled with the battery connections (unscrewed then screwed them back in) and after a few more presses of the button, the car started and continued to work for a couple weeks. This lead me to believe that maybe the start button was worn and not making the full connection when pressed.

I swapped the start button and everything was fine for about a month. Now, same thing happening. I don't think its the battery because the car won't crank with a craftsman jumper charger connected either (and battery reads like 13 volts on the dash).

Here's what I've tried:

changed the starter switch.

swapped the starter relay for another identical relay in the fuse panel.

swapped the "crank/start" micro-relay with another identical in the fuse panel

unhooked the bolt which connects the ground cable to the strut tower and cleaned.

What else can I do here? I'm going to maybe have the battery swapped under warranty tomorrow. Any ideas of how to trouboeshoot this?

*MY POST FROM AFTER I GOT THE CAR TO START*

Battery was tested and is fine.

I checked the starter power wire and was seeing 12.4 volts. The purple wire feeding the starter solenoid was displaying .08 volts with no change when hitting the start button or with the remote start.

Decided to remove the starter relay and jump the points manually with a jumper wire; this made the starter turn over immediately. I put the relay back in and the car fired right up.

I'm not sure what this is telling me. It would seem the relay was bad but I tried another good relay earlier and the starter still didn't engage (and the relay is working fine now). I'm thinking either

1. the purple wire that feeds the starter solenoid may have an intermittent short or loose connection somewhere between the under-hood fuse panel (from the starter relay) and the starter solenoid

2. there is a short or loose connection somewhere between the start button and the trigger point for the starter relay (but maybe this is controlled with GMLAN command??).

What I don't know is why manually jumping the relay would make the symptom disapear? Any ideas?

Any electrical gurus out there?

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Couple of bulletins...

Subject: No Start or Various Intermittent Electrical Concerns

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac SRX

2005-2007 Cadillac CTS and CTS-V

2005-2007 Cadillac STS and STS-V

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI has been revised to add additional model years. Please discard PIC4172.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The vehicle does not start or various intermittent electrical concerns.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Inspect for a loose Battery Cable to Underhood Bussed Electrical Center connection. Torque the fastener to 18 Nm (13 lb ft).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

********************************************************************************

Subject: Engine Will Not Crank (Reprogram ECM)

Models: 2005 Buick LaCrosse, Allure (Canada Only)

2004-2005 Buick Rendezvous

2004-2005 Cadillac CTS, SRX

2005 Cadillac STS

with 2.8L or 3.6L V6 Engine (VINs T, 7 -- RPOs LP1, LY7)

This bulletin is being superseded by Customer Satisfaction Recall 05524A. Please discard all copies of Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-016 (Section 06 - Engine).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the engine will not crank.

Cause

Engineering has identified a concern with the ECM software.

Correction

Refer to Customer Satisfaction Recall 05524A.

********************************************************************************

Subject: Multiple Electrical System Malfunctions, Engine Will Not Start, Engine Will Not Shutdown, IP Gauges/Lighting Inoperative, Radio Inoperative, HVAC Display Erratic, Loss of Rear Door Functions (Inspect Both Rear Door Harnesses and Repair, if Necessary)

Models: 2005 Cadillac STS

Built Between and Including VIN Breakpoints 50112423 and 50133076

Attention: This inspection should be performed on all vehicles currently in your inventory prior to sale or delivery.

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• Engine Will Not Start

• Engine Will Not Shutdown

• IP Gauges/Lighting Inoperative

• Radio Inoperative

• HVAC Display Erratic

• Loss of Rear Door Window/Lock Functions

These conditions may occur intermittently.

Cause

These conditions may be caused from the rear door wiring harness being misrouted causing the harness to contact the metal door bracket. This contact may cause a rub through to the wires enclosed in that harness.

Correction

Inspect both rear door wiring harnesses. Repair any damaged wires and reroute harness to correct location. Use the procedure listed below.

Make sure the ignition is off.

Remove both the rear door trim panels. Refer to the Side Rear Door Trim Panel Replacement procedure in the Doors sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #1465575).

Subject: No Crank, No Start - DIC Displays No FOB Detected

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

2005-2007 Cadillac STS

2004-2007 Cadillac XLR

This PI has been revised to add model years. Please discard PIC3899.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A no crank, no start condition with a Driver Information Center (DIC) message that displays "No FOB Detected" can be caused by a low battery state of charge (SOC). The Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) will not function if the battery SOC is below 9V.

Check the battery state of charge and if low, diagnose the cause of the weak battery prior to performing any other repairs.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Subject: Intermittent Dead Battery

Condition/Concern:

Some 2005 Cadillac STS built prior to 05/17/05 may experience a condition in which the Instrument Panel Module (IPM) does not recognize that the transmission has been shifted into park. This condition can cause the vehicle to be in the Accessory ignition mode when the engine is shut off and may result in a dead battery.

Using the Tech 2 scan tool, monitor the Park Position Input to the IPM.

• Diagnostics

• Build Vehicle

• Body and Accessories

• Instrument Panel

• Data Display

• Instrument Panel Module

• Inputs

If the Park Position Input displays "Out Of Park", replace the shifter assembly.

Subject: Intermittent Dead Battery, Engine Runs With Ignition Off

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

2005 Cadillac STS may experience a dead battery or a concern of the engine continuing to run after the ignition is shut off.

Inspect the engine wiring harness for chafing against the heater hose clamp at the bulkhead near the right cylinder head. If chafing is found, repair wiring and reroute the harness.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Logan,

I have ran down the above leads and couldn't find any problems described there. The problem just happened again and I couldn't get it start even by jumping across the relay points. So.... I tried putting the car in nuetral and it fired right up. After I got it started, it starts fine in park (the problem has been intermittent from the get-go).

Do you think the neutral safety switch could be having an intermittent problem or is this likely a red herring and coincidence? Thanks for your input.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I think you have found your problem.

Next time it happens... (and it will) :D

Try putting it firmly in park... or just start it in neutral. Then you will know for sure what it is.

Another thing... try wiggling the shift lever around while you try to start it... see if you can reproduce the problem at will.

With an '05, you should be still under warranty. If it is the neutral switch, have the dealer replace it.

Posted Image

• 2 years later...

I have very similar issues with my 2005 STS in addition to some other electrical symptoms in the instrument panel.

Did replacing the neutral safety switch resolve the intermittent problem?

After 3 days at the dealer, I was told it was instrument panel module (IPM) but car worked fine with the ground cable change they did for about 6 weeks. Then the no start problem came up.

Thanks!

• 8 years later...

I have a 2005 cadillac sts. I bought it for my son's first car, silly on my part... Parked it the other day and went back out to start it just a few hours later and nothing. No lights. No beeps. No clicks. Nothing. The batterys date is 07/18 so it should be fine. IDK where to go after that. Thanks 

13 hours ago, Amy said:

I have a 2005 cadillac sts. I bought it for my son's first car, silly on my part... Parked it the other day and went back out to start it just a few hours later and nothing. No lights. No beeps. No clicks. Nothing. The batterys date is 07/18 so it should be fine. IDK where to go after that. Thanks 

The 2005 STS is a great car, your son is VERY lucky.  The worst thing you could have done was buy him an old SUV with truck suspension given their propensity to roll-over.  This is a good car!, let us help you put it in order.  

The date on the battery means absolutely NOTHING, it can be dead one week after installation from an internal problem or from being DEAD for extended periods of time.  My guess is that a new high CCA battery will solve this.

I dont know the history of the car, but while sitting to sell, they often sit idle for extended periods of time and the battery will die in about 2 weeks.  Once a battery dies it  ever gets back to 100%, each time it dies the recharge capacity drops more.  If it is ever dead for an extended period of time it either won't charge or won't hold a charge.  

Do NOT jump the car to start it and attempt to have the alternator start it, you will destroy the alternator.  Take it out, test it after a slow 24 hour trickle charge, and see if it performs to its CCA rating. If not, replace it.  

The first thing I would do is find a sears or some shop that can perform a load test on the battery.  Take the battery out, and at that time clean the battery connections.   The battery must hold a charge and provide the required cranking amperage.  Start there. 

Welcome to caddyinfo.  If the car has been reasonably maintained you didnt make a mistake.  We are here to help you, come back with the battery test results.

Give us the details, where was it purchased, mileage, do you have the service records, etc.  There are some things that should be done with that car and we can help.

@Amy

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 4 months later...

I have a 2005 STS, bought it new and I used it as a second car.  The last few years I’ve had issues with the battery going dead, for what doesn’t seem to be any reason. It has a fairly new battery, a few months and when I went down to drive it today, it was dead. While sitting in the car waiting for the jumper cables to be hooked up, the car lit up like it was starting but it wasn’t.  The start button lit up, not the acc light, but other items lit up like the car was running. Of course when I tried to start it, it went dead. After I tried to jumpstart it and did not work, I put a battery charger on the battery, charged the battery and nothing.. HELP!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have same problem now and read this forum So Decided to remove the starter relay and jump the points manually with a jumper wire, this made the starter turn over immediately and the car fired right up in cold car , but when it get warm after 10 min running turn off the car from inside the car and start the car up from inside the car push the button and it fired up no problem i did this 10 time start right up without jumper wire .. BUT when i leave the car alone for 2 hour or so now the car is cold it won't start from inside i have to do same than back square one So remove the starter relay and jump the points manually with a jumper wire, this made car fired up no problem  But again but when it get warm it fired up from inside no problem ?? anyone know what the heck going on with 2006 STS? 

Thanks everyone