CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Will this CTS rim fit my 01 STS

jking220

My GF hit a pothole on the way to work this morning. She said she was going less than 35, and the DIC didnt tell her the tire was low, but Im guessing it must have been (she probably didnt look at it since it always tells us to change the brake pads since I havent done that yet). Went to change the tire this afternoon and found the rim bent on the inside bead. <_<:wipetears

Rim didnt look cracked, I will post pictures of the "dent" tonight after she gets home with the car and I am out of class. Has anyone had any luck with fixing/straightening rims? They are the chrome 17" STS rims on an 01 STS. I really dont want to end up with any more shake from this, already need to RFB the tires when I buy new ones.

My dad had an issue with his 99 STS having a bent rim (16"), and we just bought a new one after trying to have it welded/fixed, but that rim was also cracked.

I found some 17s on ebay, but many are listed as coming off a CTS. They look the same as my rims, just with different center caps. Does anyone know if this is the same rim, like same offset...etc?

The ebay number for one of these is

apparently it is not chrome, and many of the others I see are "polished", so thats an issue too.

I just wanted to get others opinions before I sink anymore money into this rim.

Thanks

Jonah

Another question... is there any chance my rims could be polished? I think they are chrome, but the pictures of "polished" rims online look just like mine.

Can I find out if mine are chrome by the codes in the trunk?

thanks again

Jonah

I'm pretty sure rims from CTS will work on a STS. The rim you want to buy has a bolt patter of 5 x 114.3, however, the bolt patter for you STS is 5X115. Is the 114.3 rounded to 115? The ebay ad also says it's for "cadillac cts, sts..."

Check out ebay and search for "cadillac rims" and you should be able to verify.

Fitments:

This 17" rim has the standard Cadillac bolt pattern (5x115mm) and offset to fit all Front Wheel Drive (FWD) Cadillacs from 1986 through 2006. This includes all models Deville (1985 through 2006) including Coupe and Sedan D'Elegance Concours Deville Touring Sedan, DHS and DTS all models Eldorado including ETC and ESC all models Seville including Seville Touring Sedan, STS and SLS and Allante convertible. Again, this rim will fit all these models listed herein from 1986 through 2006 plus of course the Cadillac CTS from 2002 through 2006 and the all-new 2005/2006 STS.

Bolt pattern for ELDORADO, SEVILLE, STS 92-on:

Bolt Pattern: 5X115

Nut Size: 12mmX1.5

I did some research on this topic and found out that there is some controversy over whether a 5X115 (Your STS) bolt pattern can be fitted with a wheel with a bolt pattern of 5X114.3 (The CTS wheels you're looking to buy). Apparently, there is a difference between the two rims but some say you can still use 114.3 on a 115 bolt pattern and some say don't. You can buy "metal hub centric rings" to make up the difference.

Here is a link to a discussion on this topic:

5x114.3???? CTS is 5x115 not 5x114.3

Here is another thread you might want to read:

Why you should NOT use the 5x114.3 bolt pattern

thanks for all the info MAC... I think I will first try to get the rim fixed... there is a place that seems pretty good here in Columbus Ohio... http://rimprofessionals.com/mission.htm ... supposedly 100% guarentee... about $100 to straighten rim.

Another question... My dad may still have a mounted 16" STS rim at home... from my research the 16 with a 235/60R16 has an OD of 27.10" and revs per mile of 767.5... and my 17 with 235/55R17 tire has an OD of 27.17" and revs per mile of 765.5.

should I worry about throwing that 16 on my STS until I get the 17 fixed? I would probably throw it on the back.

Anyone seeing this to be an issue?

Thanks again MAC,

Jonah

I don't know if the rims will fit; but I have a suggestion for you.

I was having new tires put on at Discount Tire and they found a rim with a crack in it. I knew that new rims

run about $600; but they said they probably had a matching rim in the warehouse. It seems that when they

sell new rims; they put all the pull-offs in a central location. They were able to get me a rim

that looked virtually new for $125. You might try Discount Tire in your area.

If I cannot get a 16" STS rim, I know I can get a 16" deville rim... tire size 225/60R16 which has overall diameter of 26.62 and 781.3 revs per mile... would this be an issue for short term?

Thanks for the suggestion Dasher... I am going to call them tomorrow... I would rather get a new one for $125-150 than try to fix one for $100... I really dont want to pick up more shake from this.

Jonah

I have used 'Wheels America' several times with excellent results.

<a href="http://www.fixrim.com/" target="_blank">http://www.fixrim.com/</a>

One was a discontinued BBS wheel, the other was a chrome DTS wheel. Fast work, excellent results.

Dont let the chrome price throw you. Thats only if the chrome side gets damaged. If the inner rim got damaged, thats not a 'chrome' repair.

Here are a couple pics I took of the rim. I plan to take it to the shop in Columbus Ohio I mentioned above.

It is bent about .250" to .300" in the radial direction.

DSCN0260.jpg?t=1205424860

DSCN0272.jpg?t=1205424915

I'm going to make sure they will stand up to their "100% guarantee" first.

Dad is saving me by letting me borrow a 16" STS rim... only .070" smaller on the OD... my spacesaver is 3.28" smaller on the OD.

Thanks for all the input,

Jonah

If you are interested in replacing the damaged wheel with an exact replacement, cardiodoc is a long term caddyinfo member, owns cadillacs himself and is very easy to deal with and honest, check him out, he specializes in wheels

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9691

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...

BodybyFisher - thank-you for the kind words.

Sorry I didn't check in here sooner because I could have helped. Guys - remember - free wheel advise is always available to my friends here at Caddy Info.

CTS wheels have the same bolt pattern (5x115) and offset as other models despite the fact that the CTS is RWD. I have to personally thank Cadillac for that. Unfortunately that all went out the window for the new 2008 CTS - :-(

To answer some of your questions. Yes, that wheel could be fixed (any wheel theoretically 'could' be fixed depending on the skill of the person doing the repair). The wheel in the eBay listing is NOT the same as your 17" Chrome STS wheels. That wheel while appearing identical, is actually POLISHED and not chrome. It would FIT, but the appearance would not MATCH.

Your 17" STS wheels are pretty rare. I wish you well in the repair but if you choose not to go that route, I'll trade your four brand-new chrome 17" CTS-V replica wheels for your 3 good wheels plus a little cash. This might all be moot at this point, given the timing you may have already made your decisions.

cheers,

~Doc

I have already sent the wheel out for repair... but thank you for your reply, I know you're the "man" when it comes to wheels.

Maybe you can help answer a question I cant seem to find an answer to...

Does my STS have a 5x115 or 5x114.3 bolt pattern on the car/hub?

It is my understanding that the 98-03(04) STS' have 114.3 bolt pattern, but the 03+ CTS, which appears to share the same rims as my car, have the 115 bolt pattern. Am I wrong?

I dont know if my car possibly has different hubs than an STS with the 16s (which are 114.3) or if Caddy just put the 115 rims on it with 114.3 hubs.

I understand the difference is only .7 mm on the diameter, which is very small, but at 150 mph I think this could cause problems.

Just thought I would throw out the questions I have incase you check this board again and you happen to have an answer.

Thanks Doc,

Jonah

Archived