CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

22 inch rims

caddy650

Dadgum, that's a lot of wheel...why bother with a tire???

You want to maintain a similar diameter (about 27") and width (about 9-9.5") as your stock tires.

22": there's nothing in a 22" size that's even available that'll meet your needs. A 225/30R22 is close on paper, but I don't see any tires available in that size.

21": nothing again. A 225/35R21 would be ideal, but nobody makes it.

20": a 225/40R20 would be good, but nobody makes it. A 245/35R20 would be close; it's 26.8" tall and about 9.5" wide, give or take. The actual dimensions would vary by manufacturer. You have a few choices here...a lot actually. Click here to see them:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...p;x=66&y=10

Despite lackluster performance in the last, General's new tires are fairly good, and their Exclaim UHP is no exception. It's available, at a very reasonable $120 each in this size. The Kumho Ecsta SPT is also available for a great price ($112), and actually out-scored the General in Tire Rack's testing. My personal choice would probably be the Yokohama Avid W4S, available for $142. Those are all Tire Rack prices, and I'd encourage you to shop locally. I've never found Tire Rack to be the cheapest -- sometimes by a large margin -- when you include shipping and local installation charges.

Again, anything larger than 20" just isn't available in this overall diameter. Anything larger than stock diameter, and you're looking into possible issues with clearance. With as much money as you'll have in those wheels, I wouldn't take a chance. That said, I'm not guaranteeing that MY suggestions will work, but they are the same overall size as the stock tires, so assuming you get a wheel with the proper offset and the proper bolt pattern, your chances of interference will be minimal.

You may also consider upgrading the brakes at the same time. Big wheels and tires are VERY heavy (especially chromed ones), and they won't do ANYTHING positive for your handling or braking.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Caddy650,

JasonA's info is right on and well-delivered. Following are a few other issues you may want to consider about 19", 20", 21" or 22" wheels on a Cadillac automobile.

Since these wheels and tires are not on a truck, the outside diameter, width, offset and clearances are limited as Jason also noted. Tires thin enough for the wheel/tire combinations noted by JasonA - are simply impractical and therefore not manufactured.

If there is not enough tire or rubber around any wheel, then the following problems can occur:

1. The wheel can be easily damaged by potholes and curbes because there is just not enough tire sidewall to soak up the impact.

2. There is not enough air/sidewall, to distribute road imperfections. So the vehicle's ride will be like a shopping cart over railroad tracks.

3. Vehicle publications have noted that as wheel sizes go up - the tire's wear ability goes down. So be ready to purchase both wheels and tires much more frequently.

4. The vehicle's suspension (if it is not damaged by clearance, offset-geometry problems), has to work harder and therefore wears out quicker.

5. There are few practical methods to postively-secure expensive wheel and tires. Most bolt-locks can be frozen with liquid nitrogen and snapped off in a few seconds. Check your insurability on this investment.

There may be many other technical reasons that 18" wheels are about as big as GM will go on a Cadillac automobile.

There is no doubt that a Caddy with 22's will look very distinctive while parked, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

you need fwd 22 with a high offset and the tire need to be 255/30/22. i got the same setup on my 02 deville and it doesnt rub and thats with no mods done to the suspention and subs in back.

A 255/30R22 is a full inch taller than stock. The STS sits lower than does a DeVille, and has less clearance between the tire and the wheel well. I wouldn't run a tire that's a full inch taller than stock, not on an STS. At the very least, the speedometer will be 3-5% off.

so then i cant put them on without modifying the suspension?

Most likely no. I put Range Rover 17" rims with oversize tires on my car and I had to slightly bend the spring support to get it to not rub. These cars just don't give much room for much increase in tire size.

IPB Image

do u guys think a 265/35/22 would fit?

so then i cant put them on without modifying the suspension?

Not a chance.

This is fairly simple math, but there's also a website that lets you pick your size and see the differences:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Put your original size in on the left (most likely 235/60R16) and put your "new" size in on the right. When you plug in a 265/35R22, you'll see that it's over 29 inches tall!!! My Nissan 4x4 truck didn't have tires that tall. That tire will NOT fit without modifications, and you'll severely compromise the safety of your car. Stick with a wheel in the 18-20" range if you just have to go larger.

Yuck, I bought a Caddy for the ride, and looks fine stock. Drove a Porsche Cayenne (that I seized) with modified rims and tires, and the ride sucked, big time! As well as the handling. What's the point? Buy a Corolla and rim it, get the same ride, for 1/4 or less of the price!!

Archived