CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

can I turn off DRL??

daniel812

I have a 1998 SLS and was wondering if there is a way to turn off the Daytime Running Lights? I would like to drive during the day without my lights on and turn them on when I choose.

Pulling the under hood DRL fuse is the quickest way to get the job done. However, you'll lose your fog lamps.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

DRL wiring for '98 Seville.

post-416-1184541128_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Fog lamp wiring for '98 Seville.

post-416-1184541217_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

The daylight running lights run the high beams at 75% power. This is not a significant battery drain, and this low voltage doesn't have any effect on headlight bulb life (I changed mine at over 100,000 miles because I wanted Sylvania SilverStar and they old ones were still OK). And, it cuts your accident rate by 75%. I would leave them alone.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

. . . . And, it cuts your accident rate by 75%. I would leave them alone.

I'm in agreement with Jim here. I only provided the info to help you do what you will do anyway.

I run with my fog lamps on in daylight hours. Okay, all hours.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I just dont like that its Mandatory and feel there should be a DRL on and off switch. I think It takes away some of the clean look of the front of the car when the lights are on in sunlight. I will be leaving them alone as I agree it is safer to drive with lights on, was just looking for info. Thanks!!

Reply is you want to know where the DRL relay is located. All you do is pull it out and put it in the glove compartment for safe keeping. Nothing else is effected.

Nope. If you do that, your left high beam will not work.

See the electrical drawing in post #3. The left high beam will lose its ground if the relay is removed.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Reply is you want to know where the DRL relay is located. All you do is pull it out and put it in the glove compartment for safe keeping. Nothing else is effected.

Nope. If you do that, your left high beam will not work.

See the electrical drawing in post #3. The left high beam will lose its ground if the relay is removed.

Regards,

Warren

Exactly correct, Warren.

I promised myself I would stay away from this thread, but here I am for some unknown to me reason.

There was (or is) a thread titled something like "fogs as DRLs" that I started around January-February-March of 2005 detailing how to disable hi beam DRLs and optionally enabling the fog lamps as DRLs on a '98 STS. But I am unable to locate the thread with the search function.

I love DRLs for the benefit of being seen. I also enjoy tinkering with electrical/electronic systems to individualize my car. If you see a white '98 STS with fogs on during daylight, it is likely to be me. Flash your lights at me to say hello!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

There was (or is) a thread titled something like "fogs as DRLs" that I started around January-February-March of 2005 detailing how to disable hi beam DRLs and optionally enabling the fog lamps as DRLs on a '98 STS. But I am unable to locate the thread with the search function.

I love DRLs for the benefit of being seen. I also enjoy tinkering with electrical/electronic systems to individualize my car. If you see a white '98 STS with fogs on during daylight, it is likely to be me. Flash your lights at me to say hello!

I recall that thread. In fact, I even "Bookmarked" it . . . . on the notebook that is currently nonfunctional. :(

Not to worry, it will be revived shortly.

It's not likely I'll be available to "flash" you Atlanta folk anytime soon, but you may rest assured the sentiment is there. :wacko:

Many, many years ago, back in my TR-6 days, I used to get cramps "flashing" oncoming drivers. Kinda glad those days are over. Whew!

Recently, for the first time, I got flashed by a Seville driver. I was so stunned, I didn't know what to do. I did nothing. He might have thought Eldorado owners looked down on Seville owners. So be it. :lol: :lol: :P In truth, we passed so quickly he probably thought I was a Seville.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

FWIW, in my new (to me) 05 Envoy, the DRL's can be turned off on the dash, and then another button can be pushed to put on just fog & marker lights, if you want to drive around like that instead....

You have to do it every time you start the car, but the ability is there to do it while sitting in the car...

This would have to be the first time I've heard a good word about DRL's... they are widely hated on other forums, and routinely disabled...

they are widely hated on other forums, and routinely disabled...

This is funny stuff... You know, if a import manufacturer , like Honda, had originally discovered that DRL saved the lives of untold pedestrians (mostly kids and the elderly) and said "We are going to take the lead on this and install this simple and cheap safety device on all of our cars"... We would all be chomping at the bit... saying things like... "Boy oh Boy is GM slow to adopt safety gear... Blah blah blah..."

This time GM does something right and we are all in a big hurry to yank fuses, cut wires and defeat relays. :rolleyes:

I actually retrofitted DRL on my daughters 83 Z28 and my sons 87 442... IMO the cars look better with the parking and/or fog lights on all of the time... Plus they are safer... Win Win.

I love the website that was linked... This point

5. Of all the myriad categories of motor vehicle crashes, DRL use is arguably associated with improving one, maybe two types. The better solution to highway safety is driver improvement; this would substantially and dramatically decrease accidents of all types.

Is a real good one... The circuitry to support DRL probably cost the OEMs about $0.50 per car

Bulbs are cheap, relays are cheap, wire is like free...

17 Million cars a sold each year in the US... total cost of DRLs about $8,000,000 . Actuaries value an American Life at $2,500,000. You prevent only 3 deaths and the system just about pays for itself.

Are these guys really advocating that we all be forced take a driver's ed course... This wouldn't be a bad idea... But these courses cost about $100 per person.. times 200 million drivers = 20 Billion! Now there is a cheap option... :blink:

BTW Drivers Ed while effective, has been shown to "wear off" really fast. Most drivers within one year of a course are back to there old habits...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

On my 99 STS which I assume is similar to the 98 I removed the relay in the underhood fuse/relay box. It is listed as #30 in the manual.

The DRLs dont work and nothing else is effected.

Try it...you'll like it.

The 99 and 98 headlights are wired the same... In both cars, if you pull the DRL relay you loss the ground for the LH highbeam head lamp... Everything else is fine though...

Stick a paper clip between holes "P10 and N11" where the relay was and the LH highbeam lamp will work fine too...

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

Pick the wrong holes and pzzt..pretty blue flash and bad stink!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Now that you mention the left high beam I know why I dont have that problem. When I first got the car I put in a heavy duty headlight harness that is activated from the RH headlight wires. I sort of forgot that mod.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcata...?SearchField=20

Excuses, excuses . . . . . :D :D :D

Regards,

Warren :P

P.S. Ain't smilies great?!?

Posted Image

On my '01 STS, the DRL fuse can be removed and nothing else is affected. Both fogs and both high beams work as they should. I guess they changed the wiring at some point in there (2000 maybe)? I run around with the "fog" lights on (they're not real fog lights) and DRLs disengaged. This also keeps the tails lit without having to use the service headlights.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived