CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HEAL-A-SEAL

funk62

I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED A PRODUCT CALLED HEAL-A-SEAL FOR BLOWN HEAD GASKETS , CRACKED HEADS AND SO ON. IT ACTUALLY WORKS. 3 DAYS NOW AND A 100 MILE AND HOLDING

THE TECHICAL SUPPORT GUY IS NOT OVERLY SMART IN MY OPINION, BUT WITH A LIL COMMON SENSE AND TIME TO DO IT RIGHT IT DOES WORK FOR HOW LONG I DONT KNOW BUT THEY CLAIM PERMENTLY.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funk,

How ironic. I just got back from a 240 mile trip bringing my 1991 Fleetwood to my house. The catch however is that it has a bad head gasket. Fortunately the "false boiling" (exhaust in the coolant) was minimal and I made it back with NO problems. That being said I am going to try Bars Head Gasket Repair . I will tell you how it works. Also, What Caddy motor do you have and what symptoms did you have? I can't wait to hear.

Kdaddy

Funk,

How ironic. I just got back from a 240 mile trip bringing my 1991 Fleetwood to my house. The catch however is that it has a bad head gasket. Fortunately the "false boiling" (exhaust in the coolant) was minimal and I made it back with NO problems. That being said I am going to try Bars Head Gasket Repair . I will tell you how it works. Also, What Caddy motor do you have and what symptoms did you have? I can't wait to hear.

Kdaddy

I WOULD GO WITH A BETTER FIX OTHER TAN BARS LEAK. THIS PRODUCT IS INCREDIBLE BUT NOT CHEAP. I HEAD A BLOWN HEADGASKET AND A CRACKED HEAD. FIRST I SEALED THE HEAD GASKET AND NO MORE WHITE SMOKE BUT I STILL HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM, AIR BUBBLE IN THE RESEVIOR TANK FROM A CRACKED HEAD. SO I REUSE THE PRODUCT THAT I DRAINED OUT FROM THE FIRST FIX AND SEALED THE CRACKED HEAD. IF YOUR GOING TO DO THE QUICK FIX DO IT RIGHT. I WAS A DISBELEIVER IN THESE TYPE OF PRODUCT BUT MY CAR SAT FOR 2 YEARS AND DID NOT HAVE TIME NOR 3000.00 TO FIX IT. SO WHAT DID I HAVE TO LOSE.

Keep us up to date on this. Let us know how long this lasts. My guess it that its temporary. But please, report back your experience. We for the most part are not believers of this type of fix for the Northstar.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Keep us up to date on this. Let us know how long this lasts. My guess it that its temporary. But please, report back your experience. We for the most part are not believers of this type of fix for the Northstar.

NOR AM I A BELEIVER EITHER. BUT SO FAR SO GOOD. THEY CLAIM THIS IS A PERMANENT FIX AND ALSO LEAVES A PREVENTITIVE BARRIER AGAINST FUTURE LEAKS

Funk,

Actually the product I am talking about is the Bars that you need to drain out the coolant and ONLY mix with water just like Heal a Seal. I am not talking about Bars Leak for radiators. The primary component used is something called Liquid glass (sodium Silicate) which is used in ALL of the products where you have to drain out the coolant and ONLY mix with water. It is the primary ingredient in Heal a Seal, Thermogasket, K&W Block Sealant, and Bars Head Gasket Repair (Not to be confused with Bars leak stop leak) The difference is not the Sodium Silicate nor the process which is generally the same. The difference is in the other ingredients used to fortify the Sodium Silicate. Some use copper powder, Aluminum Powder, Fiber glass, etc along with the base component Sodium Silicate. Do a google on - Sodium Silicate Head Gasket

You will find a ton of information ;)

Kdaddy

NOR AM I A BELEIVER EITHER. BUT SO FAR SO GOOD. THEY CLAIM THIS IS A PERMANENT FIX AND ALSO LEAVES A PREVENTITIVE BARRIER AGAINST FUTURE LEAKS

Can't fix pulled head bolts I would think...

Thats the problem. These products work well on cracked heads, gaskets, and blocks. The head bolt problem associated with the N* CANT be fixed with these products. However, usually the older Aluminum caddy engines like the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 have issues with the gaskets/heads and only time will tell if they work. So far there have been two positive results. I might be number three. ;)

Kdaddy

Thats the problem. These products work well on cracked heads, gaskets, and blocks. The head bolt problem associated with the N* CANT be fixed with these products. However, usually the older Aluminum caddy engines like the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 have issues with the gaskets/heads and only time will tell if they work. So far there have been two positive results. I might be number three. ;)

Kdaddy

Who were the two positive results?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Bodybyfisher,

Texas Jim and Funk62 were two people here at caddyinfo that had great success thus far with using Sodium Silicate. To the best of my knowledge NIETHER had N* engines which these products WILL NOT work on.

Kdaddy

Northstar engines do not tend to have head bolt problems. Head gasket problems are generally caused by such factors as neglected antifreeze and thermocycling (constant coolant temp changes). The latter is not a major concern; however, neglected antifreeze is. As far as thermocycling is concerned, a Northstar engineer has said: "there is far more thermal fatigue induced by coldstarting and warming up the engine compared to allowing the coolant temp to drift between 190 and 225." Moreover, the Northstar cooling system is very adapt at keeping temperatures stable during all kinds of driving conditions. When it comes to head bolts, the fact is that the older the car is the more likelihood that head bolts will lock into place by "galvanic activity." Below is a Northstar engineer's statement concerning head bolts taken from a lengthy discussion on the topic:

I think it is a combination of lots of load cycles and wear and tear on the threads in the block from thermal and mechanical fatigue combined with the effects of having the steel bolts in aluminum threads for 10 or 12 years and then suddenly removing them. There is always some galvanic activity (that has been discussed to great length) that does tend to lock or bond the steel threads to the aluminum threads given enough time and heat and stress.... When the bolts are then removed, the aluminum threads are damaged to some extent. This appears to be much worse given 7 or 8 or 12 years of assembly time than it was/is seen in development where the bolts might only be in the holes for days or weeks or months.... The loads were the same and the thermal cycles are the same on accelerated tests as well as the cyclic mechanical loads on endurance testing and the aluminum threads hold up fine and dissassemble fine. Having worked on aluminum motorcycle engines for years I guess I just accept the fact that a bolt in aluminum that is undisturbed for 5 or 10 years "sticks" to some extent. The same with the Northstar head bolts, just the effect seems to damage the female threads enough that they later fail. I am just guessing and giving my own honest opinion, here. Some of this was anticipated and design steps to minimize the effect were taken by the phos and oil coating on the head bolts combined with the loctite patches to seal the threads from air as well as putting each head bolt in it's own, sealed , dry cavity to minimize any galvanic action of a corrosive solution settling around the bolts. I don't think the threads are damaged from corrosion as assembled during their life, but that the threads are damaged from the effect of the dissassembly after long time. In other words, the head gasket starts to weaken for one reason or another (hastened in the 93/94/95 years by the lack of cooling system maintenance in many cases) and then the bolt threads in the block are collateral damage when the dissassembly takes place. When the mechanic removes the head bolts and the aluminum threads are stuck into the bolt threads he assumes that the bolt was "stripped" before dissassembly. In fact, the bolt was fine and the threads were ripped out when the bolt was removed in most cases.

MINE IS A NORTHSTAR ENGINE,AS FAR AS PULLED BLOLTS ARE CONCERNED, I DON'T KNOW. BUT SO FAR IT IS WORKING. I AM CERTAINLY HAPPY FOR A CAR THAT HAS BEEN DEAD FOR 2 YEARS.IT WAS SMOKING SO BAD THAT YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY SEE THE BACK END OF THE CAR. LIKE I SAY I'M A DISBELEIVER IN SUCH PRODUCTS BUT SO FAR SO GOOD

MINE IS A NORTHSTAR ENGINE,AS FAR AS PULLED BLOLTS ARE CONCERNED, I DON'T KNOW. BUT SO FAR IT IS WORKING. I AM CERTAINLY HAPPY FOR A CAR THAT HAS BEEN DEAD FOR 2 YEARS.IT WAS SMOKING SO BAD THAT YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY SEE THE BACK END OF THE CAR. LIKE I SAY I'M A DISBELEIVER IN SUCH PRODUCTS BUT SO FAR SO GOOD

HEADBOLT, I DIDNT CHECK TO SEE IF THEY WERE LOSE. IF I HAD TRIED TO CHECK THEM IT WOULD JUS MAKE THEM WORSE SO I LEFT THEM ALONE

Funk62,

This is great information. I was wrong regarding the N*. I think this is great that this product works so well. Its actually quite simple. Sodium Silicate (Na4SiO4) was discovered by alchemist by combining soda ash with sodium bicarbonate. The result was a solid glass that is soluble (dissolves) in water. Over the years this product has had many purposes including fire proofing, sealing concrete floors, and even preserving uncooked eggs for up to 9 months. In fact many here may remember magic crystals in grade school science class where the teacher would create crystals by combining certain substances to a jar of Sodium Silicate. Essentially how it works in engines is simple. As the sodium silicate is drawn into the breach in the head gasket or crack in the head it is super heated by the hot exhaust gases. Each time layers and layers of glass are formed in the breach. Eventually the breach is sealed. Once hardened it has a melting point of 1,990 degree Fahrenheit and remain sealed in pressures up to 3000 lbs per square inch. Most importantly is draining the solution of water and Sodium Silicate and allowing the system to dry. Once dry the cooling system is refilled with coolant which although is made up partly of water does not dissolve sodium silicate because of the "glycol" solution. Essentially it will remain solid within the breach.

Kdaddy

Bodybyfisher,

Texas Jim and Funk62 were two people here at caddyinfo that had great success thus far with using Sodium Silicate. To the best of my knowledge NIETHER had N* engines which these products WILL NOT work on.

Kdaddy

Unless Funk62 used it on a different car, he lists that he has a 94 STS, which would be a NS.

Bodybyfisher,

I already addressed that in the previous post of mine in this thread. I assumed incorrectly that N* only had problems with the head bolts. In his case(Funk62) the N* had issues not related to the bolts but rather the head/gaskets. In this case it would work.

Kdaddy

I don't think its possible to know unless you tear the engine apart what causes the head gasket issue.. I am not doubting that this will work, its just that until I see this work long term in all ambient temperatures, speeds and RPMs I will remain a skeptic.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Bodybyfisher,

I will tell you how it goes with my 91 Fleetwood. I am going to attempt doing the same thing probably this week with my car. I will keep you posted on my success or failure with Sodium Silicate.

Kdaddy

Definately, Thanks

I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED A PRODUCT CALLED HEAL-A-SEAL FOR BLOWN HEAD GASKETS , CRACKED HEADS AND SO ON. IT ACTUALLY WORKS. 3 DAYS NOW AND A 100 MILE AND HOLDING

THE TECHICAL SUPPORT GUY IS NOT OVERLY SMART IN MY OPINION, BUT WITH A LIL COMMON SENSE AND TIME TO DO IT RIGHT IT DOES WORK FOR HOW LONG I DONT KNOW BUT THEY CLAIM PERMENTLY.

[/quote

( 100 miles and holding) I wouldn't celebrate just yet my friend good luck though. I am not a mechanic and have no experience's with heads on autos but I've cracked the head on my Autocar ten wheeler with a cat 3406A and the only fix is a new head or so called reconditioned head where the crack is welded I imagine that these quick cheap fixes might have a better chance on a small gas motor I don't think they can handle the diesel motor pressures.

• 2 months later...

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone knows how Funk is making out with his Heal-a-Sealed Caddy. I have a 94 STS that has all the symptoms of a blown head gasket. ie: starts to miss, puffs white smoke at an idle, has been losing coolant and have no idea where it's going, starts to overheat ect. The car is just too nice for me to junk it. It would break my heart. I bought it 4 months ago for only $2,200 and she's in really nice shape (black on black) except for this head gasket problem.

I was thinking about going the heal a seal route. If that doesn't work I'm thinking about getting a remanufactured Northstar with a warranty. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a reman NS for a good price that is reputable?

Thoughts anyone? Is Funk's caddy still motoring??

Thanks,

-Dan

Howdy Dan,

Sounds like you & I are in the same boat. I have a '94 ETC, Blk Cherry w/sunroof, real sharp....and as I write this, my hubby & son are fixing it with heal-a-seal. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get hose'd on this!

L8r,

Tammy

Archived