CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Today I Asked A Woman For Directions

The laptop died and the desktop thing is undergoing an overhaul.

So . . . . I called the local superstore explaining I needed a new laptop NOW! I asked for directions to their store.

She asked me if I knew where "Mimi's" was. Then, "do you know where Jake's place is?" I zoned out while she continued to ask about other establishments. I hung up the phone.

Ten minutes later I phoned back and got a guy on the phone (there *is* a G_d). He said, "take Carlton Avenue south over Sunrise HWY, make a right on Adams and another right on Irish Lane. You're here."

I did. So simple. I was there in minutes.

If a woman answers, hang up.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Good advice!

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

fairness hat on>>

Bah, if you DID know where Mimi's was, you'd have been set.

Just like a man to be lost, actually ask for directions (wow!), then be critical of the fact that someone cited a landmark you are unfamiliar with.

<</end fairness

It is frustrating, whether the speaker is male or female, when someone gives reletive directions, assuming you are familiar with the area. I vastly prefer the second set of instructions you got also, because they don't assume that you know more than the major street names.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce,

I love ya buddy, but I'm not too sure about that hat of yours. We're talkin' about a MAN thing here!

BTW, if I knew where Mimi's was I'd likely still be there. Maybe that's a woman thing?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Come now Marika. I was expecting a better response than that even though I can feel the sarcasim in the :lol: . Go ahead, rip him a new but hole. :lol::lol::lol:

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Come now Marika. I was expecting a better response than that even though I can feel the sarcasim in the :lol: . Go ahead, rip him a new but hole. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I'm laughing because I agree with him. "Most" women really can't give good directions, especially over the phone but I've known a lot of guys who also are not very good at giving directions so it can work both ways. :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well folks,

Quite a few years ago my wife's dad gave me "directions" to a house in the woods and lake around Benton, Arkansas. He said sonmething like turn at the big truck stop on highway (forgot the number after 20-years). And of course the famous precision multiplier "you can't miss it".

So, we were on the highway (lost as hell) - but making good time anyway... After some period of time at a high rate of speed and frustration, they all whined that I was lost - but of course I maintained that being a Dad and all - - - I simply could not be wrong. Around another corner we flew... and there was the BIG sign " WELCOME to Missouri". :blink: Not a word was spoken...

Well, we turned around and some time later finally called and got directions with numbers and all. It turned out that we flew past the "big truck stop" at least twice - but its parking lot could only hold 4-pickups (I guess they were big pickups to my father-in -law).

It wasn't too many years later the I got a Delorme mapping program with a gps for a laptop. Now I can pilot at top speed in a thundershower where road signs can not be read. She likes the shopping location/reroute functions. I have used it in heavy fog on a twisty road at night in Oregon - just don't try that drive-by-gps stuff at top speed (trust me on that). The new versions even show the entry lanes etc, so you can plan ahead at unknown interchanges during a traffic jam etc.

One feature would be nice. A real-time, close-in, weather-satellite, IR-view of the "shortcut" you planned in the wilds of South Dakota. Such that you wouldn't drive 20-miles to find amost 5' of snow for a half-mile over your "shortcut" just a few miles from your emergency-response destination.

My Blackbery's mini-map directions are OK, but there are few substitutes for a true feature-rich mapping program.

Me ask for directions? Never (I'll just quietly program them in) :rolleyes:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Traitor! :D

Posted Image

I am still looking hard at the Garmin StreetPilot i5, and it is inexpensive for a nav system, at ~$330, but mapquest.com is free.

I was all talked in to getting the i5, but then realized Amazon did not offer free shipping on this, as they sell it thru tigerdirect and not directly, so it would cost extra and take longer than expected. Also their price seems to jump around day to day on it.

Around $330 seems a nice deal for a small nav unit, and easy to swap from car to car though.

IPB Image

(Click thumbnail for a larger image)

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Nah, it's not being a traitor, it's being truthful. The truth annoys.... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived