CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Excellent Video Card

It looks like this will be my next video card:

SAPPHIRE 100131 Radeon X800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM

I have a 3000+ AMD Athon XP with 512MB RAM with an AGP 8X slot. I don't have a PCI-Express motherboard but for the price this card will play all the latest games and keep my PC going for another couple of years. I have Call of Duty I with expansion pack. My built in NVIDIA GForce chip with 64MB just don’t cut it.

I almost went with an ATI on last 3D card purchase, but ended up with an Nvidia 6800xt. Seems to depend a lot on which game you want to play and your setup in the mid range as to what works best. They all have their individual quirks.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I almost went with an ATI on last 3D card purchase, but ended up with an Nvidia 6800xt. Seems to depend a lot on which game you want to play and your setup in the mid range as to what works best. They all have their individual quirks.

The 6800XT is a good card but not cheap ($200+ range). I would imagine core clock speed must be about 420MHz. The 6800XT also has 8 pipes, which is also pretty good.

The card I'm looking at has 12 pipes stock and, from what the reviews say, another 4 pipes can be opened with a bios flash. You are right; it depends upon whether one is a moderate or a hard core gamer. Even everyday non-gaming computer use can benefit from a quality video card. I'm far from a hard core gamer. But I want quality graphics when I play.

You can probably find a better deal than that.... I know last week the AllInWonder x800xl 256mb was on sale at BestBuy/FutureShop here for $170 CDN

I cant do a comparison at the ATI website, but I think the XL >> GTO (??) plus, then you also get the TV Tuner.

I have an X850XT (was $300 CDN when i bought it) and its great, you wont be disappointed :D

-Chris

I checked out the All-In-Wonder X800 XT. It looks like a good card but most of the reviews critisize the software. But, if you found this card for $170 Canadian, which is $154.49 American, it's a great deal. It would be a good final AGP card before upgrading.

However, I've been thinking about upgrading to PCI-Express. The other day, I saw an eMachine T3120 model for under $300. It has a built in NVIDIA 6100 GPU but it also has a 16X PCI-E slot. My alternative is to just upgrade my existing board to PCI-E with at least an Athlon 64 3500+.

Archived