CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Whats the skinny on the XLR?

I haven't seen a post about anyone's experience with the XLR on this board that I can remember. Are they good cars over time? They've been out enough time so someone must have some miles on one, or have heard something.

I haven't seen a post about anyone's experience with the XLR on this board that I can remember. Are they good cars over time? They've been out enough time so someone must have some miles on one, or have heard something.

I can't think of anyone on this board who might answer your questions. Maybe some answers in 10 or so years? The track record will then have been established. And I'll be thinking about buying one. :lol::lol::lol:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

All I know is this, I win the Lottery I will have one in my 4 car garage....:lol: I saw one the other day with tinted windows at the dealer its a head turner...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

don't have ANY first hand experience but there was a spot on autoline detroit from a spyshot oldtimer that showed a drawing of a coupe (hardtop) version of the xlr....very pretty... the host and guest were speculating about the powerplant in the coupe version..the guest seemed to think that gm would graft two 3.6 v6's together to make a v12 for the coupe version...sounded like sheer speculation to me.

jackg 90seville

My next Car will be either a XLR or an STS-V...

To decide I'll be flipping a coin... and then I'll check with the wife...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

My next Car will be either a XLR or an STS-V...

To decide I'll be flipping a coin... and then I'll check with the wife...

I would take the 4 door always seems to have a little more room!

Michael-

• 9 years later...

I'm re-upping this question. I wrote it originally 9 years ago and someone suggested it be revisited in 10 years, so, here it is.

I saw a beauty parked the other day, and I started salivating.

What's the skinny?

I don't know what you really want to know? I have had mine about 3 years. I intend to have it to my last day. I did have a top failure. Cost $1300. Aftermarket warranty paid. Only problem I have had. The first ones are 10 years+ old now and are expensive to repair, just like the sts-v and cts-v. I don't expect them to be any more worn out than any other car though. They still look awesome and get questions and remarks. Most people don't really know what they are, have heard and repeated many erroneous facts. Such as the engine being ls, rather than northstar. The same year v model is about $10,000 higher than base and worth every penny, if you like power. The base should be about the same performance as the ls1 trans am. If you get one that is abused, neglected you wont like it, except when you are able to driving it. If you get a nice one, you will love it every day, especially driving it. Definitely go the the xlr forum and read, read, read. Don't buy one that needs work, even if you consider yourself mechanically inclined, unless you are WAY above average, and trained. Mine was and is very nice, but I bought a tech2 for the day the warranty runs out and it needs work, because I will still have it. Read anything CC Clarke posts on the xlr forum, he is the man.

I agree w Airmike and certainly he has the insights for ownership.

XLR/XLR-V has the Corvette chassis with Cadillac engine; CTS-V has Cadillac chassis with Corvette engine; STS-V has Cadillac chassis with Cadillac engine.

XLR is lighter, but seats 2 instead of 4 to 5 and has very limited trunk space. XLR appears to have held its value a bit better than STS-V. Unclear if XLR is at a low and will hold or appreciate from here or will continue to depreciate; similar story for the CTS-V. STS-V more likely to continue to depreciate, as the average buyers doesn't understand it relative to a 'normal' STS of the same year.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks, Gents.

I like cars that don't' cost a fortune to keep running, and I probably would have heard some complaints here if it were one of those.

I'm gonna start a separate fund and get me one!

But, YIKES, they cost the earth!

Archived