CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dex cool or no Dex cool

bigjayzway

Well I am going to flush and fill the rad this week.

My mechanic tells me to go with the regular coolant(green).

What should I do?

Big Jay blink.gifhuh.gif

Life is too short to grow up!

What should I do?

Big Jay blink.gifhuh.gif

The '94 will take green coolant and the '98 uses DexCool. If you're changing the coolant on the '98, use DexCool - that is what the engine was designed to use - and you will only need to change it every 5 years. Do a drain and refill - don't flush the system.

I do not know why "mechanics" are recommending green coolant in cars that were factory filled with DexCool...if green coolant is used, it will need to be changed every 2 years. Also, once you use green coolant in a DexCool system, you're pretty much stuck with it as the silicates plate the internals of the cooling system. If you switch back to DexCool, the silicates that are plated on the internals of the cooling system will deplete the corrosion package of the DexCool and it will need to be changed every two years.

In summary, a car that came from the factory with DexCool should continue to use DexCool. A car that came from the factory with Green coolant should stay with green coolant. After all, the engineers, test techs, etc. at GM know a hell of a lot more about vehicle development and validation than the local mechanic does.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks guys. I thaught so too.

I do remember I need to get the tabs from the dealer.

2 in the lower hose, 2 in the upper hose, and 2 in the rad right?

Big Jay

2-3 pellets in the lower hose only. Do not add any to the surge tank. Use distilled water to mix with the DexCool.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

While many say to put them in the lower hose, I think you loose too much coolant doing that, I put the full dose in the upper hose, and I crush them first. Its not necessary to distribute them as you are describing.

There is no cap on the radiator its on the tank. Never put them in the tank.

(I posted at the same time as Kevin and I am not contradicting him, I find the upper hose less messy)

While many say to put them in the lower hose, I think you loose too much coolant doing that, I put the full dose in the upper hose, and I crush them first. Its not necessary to distribute them as you are describing.

There is no cap on the radiator its on the tank. Never put them in the tank.

(I posted at the same time as Kevin and I am not contradicting him, I find the upper hose less messy)

Since he's draing the coolant anyway, the lower hose should be empty. If one forgets to add the supplement and then fills the system with coolant, it can be added to the upper hose.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's because he wants to see you again in two years when you have to do ANOTHER drain/refill because the silicated corrosion inhibitors are gone. wink.gif

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks guys. I will definately put them in the lower rad hose then.

I see you say to only use 3....and crush them too.

Okay....I will do that. I was almost sure you were suppose to use all 6. I am glad you advised me of that. I would have wasted 3 of them.

I know not to put them into the tank, I remember Scotty saying that in a post a while ago.

My mechanic says the red stuff(dex cool) is a crappy product, and he has changed all his cars.

I know he isn't trying to get $ out of me, cause I don't pay for anything other than parts.....He is one of my best friends. I guess he is just missinformed?

I will show him all the posts saying to use dex cool.

Thanks again guys!!!!

Big Jay biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. I will definately put them in the lower rad hose then.

I see you say to only use 3....and crush them too.

Okay....I will do that. I was almost sure you were suppose to use all 6. I am glad you advised me of that. I would have wasted 3 of them.

I know not to put them into the tank, I remember Scotty saying that in a post a while ago.

My mechanic says the red stuff(dex cool) is a crappy product, and he has changed all his cars.

I know he isn't trying to get $ out of me, cause I don't pay for anything other than parts.....He is one of my best friends. I guess he is just missinformed?

I will show him all the posts saying to use dex cool.

Thanks again guys!!!!

Big Jay biggrin.gif

Jay,

Your mechanic is misinformed... I wish he knew what a disservice he was doing his customers. How did he conclude that DexCool is a crappy product?

There is no need to crush the tablets - just stick them in the lower hose after the system is drained. Once you refill the car with the DexCool mixed 50/50 with distilled water and start the engine, they will quickly turn to mush and be dispersed in the cooling system. Putting 6 pellets wouldn't have harmed anything. By the way, are the pellets about 1-1/4 in diameter by 3/4" thick? If so, use 3. If you got the pellets that are about 5/8" in diameter, use all of them.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It gives me great pleasure to post this information from a good ole friend:

The original coolant supplement pellets (or dog turds as they are affectionately known ) were 1 inch in diameter and 5/8 inch thick. A 4.1/4.5/4.9 got dosed with 6 of those at the factory. A Northstar got dosed with 3 of those at the factory.

The size of the pellets was reduced several years ago. The "concentration" of the pellets is the same and the material is the same but the size of the pellet got smaller. You need to put about 5 of the newer, smaller pellets to equal 3 of the original. So a 4.1/4,5/4.9 engine would get 10 of the new ones and a Northstar would get 5 of the new ones. It sounds like you bought the new size. Don't worry too much about overdosing. The coolant supplement/sealer will not hurt anything and any plugging problems are very rare and usually due to improper installation of the pellets.

The pellets do not need to be crushed to be installed. They will melt and turn to mush very quickly. The factory did not crush them.... It won't hurt to crush them but it is not really necessary.

The pellets DO need to be introduced into the system so that they are in the bulk flow path of the coolant. A 4.1/4.5/4.9 gets the pellets put into the radiator. It will be necessary to crush the pellets with this engine as it is nearly impossible to get the full size pellet into the radiator tank because of the limited space in the end tank due to the trans cooler.

It is important with a Northstar to put the pellets into the RADIATOR HOSE not just put them into the pressurized surge tank. There is very little coolant circulation thru the pressurized surge tank of the Northstar system by design so the sealer will stay in the tank and may clog the coolant delivery line to the pump inlet. By putting the pellets into the radiator hose the bulk flow of the coolant quickly disperses the sealant thru the system. Either radiator hose is fine for the pellet installation.

The pellets do not "dissolve" per se. They just disentigrate and the tiny fibers/particles go into suspension into the coolant and are dispersed throughout the system.

The GM pellets are made by the same guys who make BarsLeak. The BarsLeak sealant is exactly the same stuff. You can buy the dry powder BarsLeak "gold" sealant in a small tube at most autoparts stores. DO NOT use the BarsLeak "liquid aluminum" sealant as the tiny metal particles will cause clogging in the sytem.

The sealant is simply ground up ginger root and walnut shells. Simple and effective.

Those who are familiar with Detroit know that it is famous for Vernors Ginger Ale. The BarsLeak company is located in Holly,Michigan, about 45 miles from Detroit. Guess where they got their ginger root from.... It was basically the trash from Vernors... Since Vernors left Detroit BarsLeak now has to buy the ginger direct and the cost went up considerably.

Personally , I recommend using the coolant supplement with both the green conventional coolant and the DexCool. There is nothing about DexCool that negates the need for the coolant supplement.

Jay, the only thing I would add is to check the current colour of your coolant.

On my 99 STS, the car had been changed at some point to green coolant sad.gif

I had my system flushed, added 3 pellets and Dexcool.

The positive for me is that someone cared enough about maintenance to change the coolant ... the negative is that I'm stuck flushing my rad every two years because the green stuff was introduced to the engine.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Just sharing an observation here based on several years reading (lurking) and soaking up words of wisdom from people who have proven themselves to be right on the money time after time on this and other Cadillac boards.

When dealing with all-aluminum engines, connected to non-ferrous cooling sytem parts, there is nothing to 'flush' out of the system.

As opposed to engines with some ferrous material content where an effort to remove traces of rust could be desireable. Maybe!

Flushing infers introducing tap water pressure into the cooling system. Using tap water exposes your cooling system to whatever unknown chemicals and minerals you can safely drink. Plus, you are guaranteed to lose control over the desired 50/50 antifreeze ratio.

If you mean drain and refill, remove 'flush' from your vocabulary at least temporarily. Distilled water and the recommended anti-freeze mixed 50/50 is what you want to use.

Don't get me started on "tune up". LOL.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Don't get me started on "tune up". LOL.

My dealer still recommends tune ups as required every 20,000 miles... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Lets see, from memory you need to:

1) File and Gap the points,

2) Replace the condenser

3) Adjust the dwell

4) Adjust the rocker arms to compensate for wear on the solid lifters,

5) Check and adjust the timing

6) Check and adjust the carburetor idle settings.

7) Clean and gap the spark plugs and

8) Replace the wiper blades...

So on our Northstars you need to do #8...

(or you can just buy inserts from wallyworld) laugh.gif

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Don't forget to free up the heat riser! laugh.gif

Also, critical to top up blinker fluids.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Awesome info. from everyone....

Thanks so much.

I showed my mechanic the posts, and he is now informed.

He is taking this advice seriously, and talked to his father(owner of the shop)

They are going to change their ways.

I will be doing it this weekend now, and yes i will be draining, and filling, not flushing.

I really appreciate all the help, and will pass it on to as many as I can.

Big Jay cool.gif

What brands of "Dex-Cool" coolant/anti-freeze does everyone use?

Anything with the "Dexcool approved" logo on it. I've used both Prestone and Havoline in the past. Both were colored the normal Dexcool orange.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived