CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn Signal Relay

tmpafford

Anyone know where the turn signal relay is located on my 97 STS? It started to go out last week and now does not work at all. It started to make a weird, very quick double click sound when turning on and off for a left hand turn and no signal for a right hand turn. I have had bulbs burn out so I know about the fast flashing that signals a bulb out. This was not it. And now it does nothing for left or right turns.

Well, there is a list of issues....

Very common....

Bad/burnt bulb sockets.

Then check the flasher unit. It is a black box left of the steering wheel.

Then....it could be a bad turn signal switch assembly inside the steering column.

All I see when I look under the dash is the diagnostic connection port.

Is is on the fire wall or side wall under the plastic trim?

I can hear the unit click once (like a relay closing) when I use the turn signal, but no flashing lights and no other clicks. This leads me to believe that it is not the unit inside the stearing column.

The electronic flasher....is about 2 x 4 black box.....clipped onto the IP....left of the steering column.....in the pocket bump out of the IP just left of the steering column.

TMPAFFORD, I replaced the flasher unit recently on my '97 Seville. Pull on the headlight knob and keep pulling (gently) until the whole headlight switch comes loose from the dash. Look through the hole in the dash and the flasher unit is affixed to a metal brace for the dash panel. I found that going through the headlight switch hole was the only way to access it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

No....just remove the black kick panel.....then pop off the lower panel....5 minute access.

Its tucked into the IP. Just left of the steering column.

If you pull the headlight switch out, it's 30-second access, and no laying on your back. With the turn signal on, so I could hear the flasher, there was physically no way to access it from below on my '97 Seville. Someone else's car may not be the same way, but that's how it was on mine. I would suggest pulling the switch out first. If it's there, you're done. If it's not, you gotta lay down on your back anyway.

For what it's worth...

I took mine with me to Advance and they matched it up to a generic electronic flasher. It was 11 or 12 bucks, but it makes a nice high quality "click" sound instead of the old (and cheap sounding) "tick tock tick tock".

Ordered something from RockAuto called a "turn signal switch". I hope that is the right part. It was listed under interior electrical along with all the other relays.

Should be here today.

My guess is that is not the right part... You are looking for the Flasher module I believe. You are referring to it as a relay. The flasher unit is under the dash.

The switch if I am not mistaken is in the steering column

TMPAfford, take your turn signal flaster (the small electrical box in the dashboard as described above) to your local parts house. I can almost guarantee that they'll be able to match a new part for you.

I agree with Scotty, the turn signal switch is probably not what you need.

and the part is..........WRONG!

Dang it! I hate when that happens! I bought the part that goes around the column. I will keep it just in case the flasher relay does not fix the problem. Will return it if the relay fixes the problem.

I tried to find the flasher relay through the headlight switch hole, but could not see it. Turned upside down and undid a couple of screws, sweat dripping all over the place (black car, black shirt and Houston weather) and found the small ice cube looking relay. I could have reached it through the switch hole if I had just looked to the right (sound made me keep looking to the left) tongue.gif

Will go to pepboys to see what they have.

Pepboys sold me a small cube flasher with three prongs. Took it out to the car and it did not work. Went back in and they found another one that looked the same size as the unit I took out. It worked.

Returned the other part back to RockAuto.

Thanks for your help!

Archived