CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 SLS Battery problem

don280z

Went out to start the car. It was stone dead. Not even any dash lights would work.

I put the battery charger on and it pulled a full 15 amps of charge. After 15 minutes, the car started and ran fine. Display showed 14 volts of battery when engine was running.

I drove it around for a while. Shut it off. Next morning, stone dead again. Talked to the dealer who said the battery probably has developed a bad cell. I bought and installed a new battery. Car started and ran fine. The next morning, stone dead again. I put the charger on all afternoon (4 hours). It pulled a full 15 amps the whole time. Took the charger off, started the car and drove it for 1/2 hour. Next morning the car was fine.

Display shows 12.9 volts before the car starts, and 14 when it is running. So, did I have a strange electrical problem that has gone away, is my new battery bad (some are), or did it just not have enough charge in it when I installed it?

What do you guys think?

BTW: My old battery is original 1998 - 7 years old and worked very good until the 'sudden death' syndrome...

Your "new" battery could be DOA off the shelf. I would charge it again and then take it to someone that can do a load test for you.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived