CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to replace trunk/gas door button bulbs

thkai

Hello,

I need some help in replacing the trunk/gas door buttons bulbs located above the cassette deck in the center console of a 1997 Seville STS. Step by step in removing trim, screws, etc would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

This is from the 1997 Cadillac Service Manual for DeVille, Eldorado, and Seville:

Driver Information Display Switch (DIS)

Remove or Disconnect

1. Insert thin flat blades on both sides of DIS and pry out gently.

2. Electrical connection.

That is all that the SM says about removal of the DIS assembly.

There should be several "seed" lamps for the various switches which can be removed with a very small screwdriver. Just insert the screwdriver into the slot on the bottom of the lamp assembly and turn gently.

When installing the DIS, carefully align it on the console opening and gently push in until an audible click is heard.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!! I think these instructions are for the DIS "Info" button which is located in the center of the center console directly above the cassette player. I'm actually trying to replace the bulbs for the buttons above and to the right of the DIS info button. Thanks for your help.

Tom,

There should be a panel with the following buttons (from left to right) referred to as the "DIS":

Trip Reset

Info Reset

INFO

Fuel Door

Trunk

That entire panel has to be removed to replace the lamps for any of those buttons. It has a single electrical connector on the back.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the clarification. The steps are exactly as you outlined. I found it easier to get the panel out by applying a little pressure upward from the bottom corner of one side while prying out from the upper corner of that side. There are three lamps that come out with a 1/4 turn. I tried a couple of parts stores and they both said it was a dealer item so that is my next stop tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Tom

I tried a couple of parts stores and they both said it was a dealer item so that is my next stop tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Tom

thkai ,

when you find the replacements, could you post the part number, the only switch on the DIS is the INFO button, and I would love to change them out.

Thanks in advance,

Matt :ph34r:

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Easiest way is go to wrecking yard , I paid ten dollar for the cluster,changed bulbs out of it , only needed one . The rest are now being stored for another day. I DO belive the bulbs are non serviceable from GM, however some people have gone to RADIO SHACK and located bulbs that would work.

• 4 weeks later...

I found bulbs at RadioShack that work. They are 12 volt and the physical size is a little smaller than the original but I replaced all three and they seem to be working fine. The part number is 272-1092 and they cost $1.50 for a package of two. I bought them at RadioShack.com and they were delivered in a couple of days. You probably want to take the blue cover off the old bulbs to put on the new.

If you want or need to replace the entire switch, the part number is 12177177 and it can be purchased at www.gmpartsdirect.com for $35.89 or you can pay the dealer $71.78.

Thanks all for your help and I hope the info here helps.

It amazes me that you can't purchase the bulbs through the parts department. Thay are so easy to replace! The radio, steering wheel controls, power seat switches and power window switches use those bulbs. What a waste of completely serviceable parts just to replace a bulb with GM's way of thinking. Guess I'll order some spares from radio shack.

• 11 months later...

I noticed the fuel door and trunk buttons on my '97 were not illuminated - they are fed by one bulb and a light pipe. The dealer said the bulbs were not serviced separately. I asked them if they had something close and he produced a Honda bulb that was identical - the only difference was the color of the plastic (natural instead of black). It was $5 for the bulb which I thought was a ripoff but I bought it anyway and installed it. The blue bulb "condom" needs to be transferred to the new bulb. It is slightly brighter than the other bulbs but other than that, it works fine. The Honda part no. is 35851-SP1-901.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived