CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Arm rest seam repair 95 SLS

Va Maddog

The top inside edge of my drivers door armrest has a split in the vinyl right near the embossed seam. I have tried twice to repair it, each time it seems to work well but then a few months later the seam opens up again. It is about a two inch long split right now.

Has anyone come across a good product that works well for this type of vinyl repair? It has to be something that stands up to a fair amount of movement since this portion of the drivers door armrest will flex slightly each time that the door is pulled closed.

I hate to think that I have to go to the extream of trying to find a whole new door panel but if it comes to that it appears to be a once piece unit/panel.

Looking for suggestions in case someone else here has had luck with a similar repair. Thanks.

Sometime back someone posted here about his repair that was then over a year old and still holding up successfully.

He used a paint mixing stick to apply "Shoo Goo" adhesive under the vinyl and then taped over the joint for 24 hours before removing the tape.

I searched for the post without success. Maybe, since you have a "felt need," you'll search harder/better than I.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Perhaps if you achieve a cosmetically acceptable repair you might want to think about having a door pull installed. I'm not sure any repair will stand up to constant door closings.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I hate to think that I have to go to the extream of trying to find a whole new door panel but if it comes to that it appears to be a once piece unit/panel.

The armrest panel containing the window switches etc. detaches easily as does the panel around the door open lever. Then there's the detachable speaker unit. Last, but not least, is that horrendously expen$sive piece of zebrano wood trim.

Make sure you know what you're getting if you purchase a recycled door panel.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. And SPECIFICALLY, make certain the door clips at the bottom of the panel are intact. Otherwise you'll need a Caddy dealership repair kit that some here haven't shown much respect for.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived