CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Guys, I need your help! PLEASE!

Not the cadillac * Mustang**

Shortly after cleaning my reusable air filter with the K&N recharge kit I started the car and it was almost as if it was going to die, that’s because there was just about no gas in the tank...

I actually drove it with the gas light on empty for about 40+miles...so I shut it off right away and I remember that I had some reserve gas from the Cadillac that was in a 1 gallon plastic tank. It's been sitting for awhile...I’d say more than 3 months maybe even longer. So anyway I dump everything (about a 1/4 tank) and I start it up...its starts up fine and I immediately drive to the gas station where I put in $13 buks of 87 into it. I drive 3 miles down to the local kraken and after leavening the store the car starts to hesitate, bog, you name it...as if it was starving for fuel....I then took it home and thinking the MAF sensor might have gotten some oil from the filter I lightly degrease the MAF wire/sensor...so I let it dry for a couple of hours and so I install everything and it still runs like crap...it even got to the point where the car would almost stall but I wouldn't let it. I know this is a Cadillac forum but the guys over at the mustang boards aren’t very quick to respond…any advice is welcomed!!!

sor of running out of ideas....maybe i ruined the fuel filter? Or should I drain the tank of gas? the check engine light was on at one point, but after removing the neg battery cable for 10 min and reinstalling it it went away...I'd like to take it to atozone so i can check for codes..but id rather nto risk stalling everywhere on the way....HELP!!!

Oh I almost fogot the car is a 1999 Ford Mustang V6 manual

There's only one thing to do in a stiuation like this.

BURN THE MUSTANG!!!!!! :angry:

take the insurance money and show the caddy you love her.

Never buy a ford again. :D:D:D:D:lol:

LOL

Matt

(P.S. Sorry,I couldnt resist)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Nah, Unless you banged up the MAF, I doubt that's the problem. Got an ohmmeter that you can use to check the resistance of the MAF resistors - just in case?

I'd check the fuel supply to the engine and make sure it's not being restricted by a clogged fuel filter. I'm not sure how the pick-up tube is designed in your tank, but maybe running the tank low allowed any debris to concentrate in the tank and get pulled to the filter.

I had a similar problem with a van I own and thought it was the MAF sensor at first. It would run OK until around 60MPH, then it would not go any faster and would misfire, spit and kick as you pressed the accelerator. It idled just fine.

Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

Good Luck!

I think you might be thinking too hard. If the gas was sitting in the garage for 3 or more months, there is a good chance that the gas has started to break down. I would try just running it for a while in the driveway and see if it clears up. You might also want to try a fuel cleaner additive.

Try the simple things first.

After pouring in the gas that was sitting in your garage, how was the car on the way to the gas station??? Was it ok or was it still wanting to stall? If it ran fine to the gas station and then ran crappy after putting in gas then I would think you might have picked up some water along with the fuel from the gas station.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

What would be the best additive for a bad fuel (to get rid of water)?

Isopropyl gas line anti-freeze. Iso-Heat is one brand.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The simple thing to do first would be to change the fuel filter. Get that out of the way. If it cures it, Great, :P If not, then at least you won't be spending time wondering if that is what is really wrong. Besides, it is cheap & easy to do. If the filter hasn't been changed, then it is probably due after 6 years anyway.

Then, when you get her running correctly, take her down to your favorite GM dealership and trade her in for a new GM car or truck. The GM discount is good until August 1st. (I got a new pick-up at over 30% off of list!)

That way your Caddy won't have to share the garage with a Ford product! :lol:

Britt

Britt

Simple fix....take a sawzall and start cutting the roof off, add 1½ yards of topsoil inside and push it to the end of your driveway to be used as a planter...makes a nice planter for your entrance. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Life is too short to grow up!

Git rid of that dadgum filter. An old college roommate had a few Fords (a Probe, and two Rangers) and he put a K&N in every one of them, and after about 500-1000 miles, they'd start running like crap. He'd unplug the battery, let it sit for a minute, and reconnect it. The computer would go back into "relearn" mode and he'd run it until it realized the airflow was goofy because of the K&N filter, and trip the light again.

For some reason, all that was worth it to him to have the K&N filter. I think he just liked having the "K&N" sticker on the airbox. Anyway, as it's always recommended here, put a real filter on it, disconnect the battery, and then re-evaluate where you are then. With aftermarket parts on there, diagnosing driveability problems become much more difficult to pinpoint.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If the car has a mass airflow sensor, the recharge oil from the K&N kit has probably coated the heated wire element in the MAF. Clean it with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. And I agree with Jason, ditch the K&N filter!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Welll unlike the our cadillacs, the the mustang responds well to simple mods such as the K&N filter, along with the steel intake piping it indeed does add HP. I plan to dyno prove this eventually.. In fact i felt an actual gain past 4k RPMs without any loss downlow. and when you get on it you can actually hear the rush of air coming thorugh the filter which is pretty cool, and cant forget that it also gives attitude to the exhaust tone.

BUt anyway, I will replace the fuel filter today, and will once again clean the MAF...BTW I will always be a GM guy...My uncle offered me the car for $5,500, and it only had 34k miles....it doesnt ride nearly as nice but it handles well and goes quicker off the line than the STS...BUT HOW COULD I SAY NO TO SUCH A GOOD DEAL!

Welll unlike the our cadillacs, the the mustang responds well to simple mods such as the K&N filter, along with the steel intake piping  it indeed does add HP. I plan to dyno prove this eventually.. In fact i felt an actual gain past 4k RPMs without any loss downlow. and when you get on it you can actually hear the rush of air coming thorugh the filter which is pretty cool,  and cant forget that it also gives attitude to the exhaust tone.

Don't let more noise lead you to believe the power is increased. Dyno proving it is really the only way to demonstrate an improvement. I stand by my statement that a K&N filter can provide unexpected results, no matter how dramatic an improvement it might initally make in performance. Swap in the original intake tubing and filter and go from there. If the problem persists, you know it's not the intake system and can diagnose further (and then reinstall the intake when you find the problem). If the problem is fixed (make sure to disconnect the battery when you switch it back), you know you've found the problem. Either way, it's free and you have nothing to lose, and potentially a lot to gain in saved time chasing other things that may not be causing your problem.

goes quicker off the line than the STS

By the way, I'm sure there'd be a few here who'd volunteer to line up with you at a dragstrip to compare a Northstar Cadillac to a V6 Mustang. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Okay so I replaced the fuel filter, and added some STP fuel cleaner just for the hell of it. I then went driving around flooring it every chance I got. Didn't run as rough as yesterday, but it eventually got to the point where it was 95% normal. Reason I say 95% is because it still idles a bit weird sometimes, it'll drop below normal idle for about a millisecond and jump back, pretty much fluctuating a bit, it really wasn’t consistent so I’m not totally worried about it at the moment.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Oh and for those who say to scrap the Stang...it does in fact have mucho potential...

My perf mod list...mainly focusing on suspension

3.73 rear axle gear ratio

MAC CAI system

05 GT take-off dual exhaust

FR C Sport springs

24mm GT rear sway bar

CGS subframe connectors

Future

Bilstein struts/shocks

Maximum Motorsports rear lower control arms

8.8 rear end axle with Auburn LSD

I see supercharger in my future 8-)- maybe by then i can get an LS1 Camaro?

Oh and for those who say to scrap the Stang...it does in fact have mucho potential...

MAC CAI system

FR C Sport springs

24mm GT rear sway bar

CGS subframe connectors

Future

Bilstein struts/shocks

Where's the V8? :blink:

You guys are horrible! LOL :lol: whats with the "if it aint GM it aint nothing" attitude

well you are posting on caddyinfo.com! :P

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

As I remember, I just suggested that you trade it. You can get a good deal swapping it for a Camaro before the end of the month!

By the way, did you drain the filter out the inlet side to see what came out? I usually put a clean white cloth in a bucket & then blow through the filter backwards into the cloth to see how much crud comes out. You will be amazed at what you get out.

Britt

Britt

• 12 years later...
On 7/22/2005 at 1:05 PM, Cadillac STS said:

Okay so I replaced the fuel filter, and added some STP fuel cleaner just for the hell of it. I then went driving around flooring it every chance I got. Didn't run as rough as yesterday, but it eventually got to the point where it was 95% normal. Reason I say 95% is because it still idles a bit weird sometimes, it'll drop below normal idle for about a millisecond and jump back, pretty much fluctuating a bit, it really wasn’t consistent so I’m not totally worried about it at the moment.

Thanks for all the help guys!

MAC CAI system

FR C Sport springs

24mm GT rear sway bar

CGS subframe connectors

Future

Bilstein struts/shocks

Were you able to upgrade on Bilstein shocks/struts, as well as the rear control arms on your car? How was it?

Glad you changed the filter.

Get that unknown fuel out of there ASAP.

I would run higher octane fuel in it.

I run a minimum of 91 in all I own. 

that ethanol fuel is not good, even if it sits for a month, it is even worse if the can has sun hitting it.

drive it like you stole it. Once you think you have it cleared up disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to reset all parameters so that it can relearn fuel trims etc...

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2017 at 8:38 PM, rockfangd said:

Glad you changed the filter.

Get that unknown fuel out of there ASAP.

I would run higher octane fuel in it.

I run a minimum of 91 in all I own. 

that ethanol fuel is not good, even if it sits for a month, it is even worse if the can has sun hitting it.

drive it like you stole it. Once you think you have it cleared up disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to reset all parameters so that it can relearn fuel trims etc...

I am also glad he changed the fuel filter .... 12 YEARS AGO! :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived