CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New AC Compressor

Scotty

Sheesh, Scotty . . . .

You may just have set a record for the LLLOOONNNGGGEEESSSTTT post. 12 pages and still counting! :P:P:P

And, oh yeah, you're correct Mike, this board IS GREAT! Our moderator does us all a great service.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, Bruce's birthday is October 29th. I've bookmarked it! You can expect a reminder.

The oil or tire debate threads have to be longer than this one... :lol::lol::lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Scotty.

Good to see you got it all working. It has been a very interesting read indeed.

I ordered my exhaust mainfold from Sacramento. Very nice people there. If I am pleased with their service, I will put their webaddress here. I think they recycle only Cadillac parts.

Regards

Runar

Cool Runar, I am glad you found your manifold, since we spoke I learned that some of those can be hard to find, let us know how it goes, Mike

Sheesh, Scotty  . . . .

You may just have set a record for the LLLOOONNNGGGEEESSSTTT post. 12 pages and still counting! :P  :P  :P

And, oh yeah, you're correct Mike, this board IS GREAT! Our moderator does us all a great service.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, Bruce's birthday is October 29th. I've bookmarked it! You can expect a reminder.

The oil or tire debate threads have to be longer than this one... :lol::lol::lol:

No question... If I remember correctly I think a few of PAT'S were pretty long also... and that discussion was like a dog chasing its tail, which as we all know, I LOVE TO DO! :lol::lol::lol:

I decided against adding fans as they may obstruct air flow and tax the charging system. The only time I would use the fans is in heavy traffic when the alternator has to work very hard to stay positive. I get the feeling that by adding the fans I will be detracting in another way.

Guru has helped me get over my coolant temp fears, I am going to replace the stat and all the hoses and I will just drive it...

She is running much cooler in traffic now that I have the AC running which causes the fans to run continuously, and I stopped getting those TEMP swings because the fans were cycling on and off when she was in ECON...

• 10 months later...

After doing all the AC work a year ago I got an AC1347 code today and my compressor shut down. FIRST HOT DAY as expected by Murphy's Law.

I cleared the code and put 1 1/2 cans of 134A in and it was VERY COLD.... A 1347 code means VERY LOW Refrigerant, I think that is more than a can and a half.... I looked the lines over for leaks and nothing is obvious.

I have to go to Norfolk, Va tomorrow, when I return I am going to have it evacuated and recharged and maybe add some dye...

Any ideas? Thanks

Sorry to hear that; I HATE A/C problems as they always seem to be expensive regardless of make/model/mfr. Good that the compressor isn't toast; I know it auto-shuts down to protect itself, but that seems to not always work.

Hope your trip goes well. Hopefully it will take another year to leak out, giving you time to put in the dye to determine where the leak is after you get home.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I would suggest a "sniffer" instead of the dye. You will need one that is designed for R134. I don't know if any auto stores rent them or not. But it does away with the messy dye stains.

Britt

Britt

Thanks guys, maybe I will have the AC shop check it out with a sniffer. I drove it tonight and didn't have any more codes. I thought I did everything right, replaced the compressor, new o-rings, etc.. I will have to get under it when I get back and see how the rear of the compressor looks....

I hope it's not the evaporator thats leaking.

Put the sniffer in the vents with the AC on to test it

I hope so too... Since that is the ONLY thing that I have NOT replaced, that is a possibility... I hear they are a biach to get out... Thanks

Sorry for the dual personality here guys...

I am off to Norfolk, Virginia till Sunday... fluids check, AC working, car washed, if I was 21 I'd be pimpin it... :lol: but at 52, I am stylin and profilin.... Relax and Enjoy fellow Caddyinfo friends! Mike, Scotty/BBF/? :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would have the system leak checked - that will pinpoint the source of the leak. It is possible that a line or hose has chafed through or some other simple problem. Hopefully, it is not the evaporator. The best way to leak check the evaporator if to run the A/C for awhile with the doors and windows closed, shut off the car and after the blower stops and all air movement has subsided, stick the probe of an electronic leak detector down the vent closest to the evaporator. If it sounds off, there is a leak. The alternate method is to inject the system with UV dye and run it for awhile and then examine the condensate and condensate drain for traces of UV dye. The electronic detector will tell you where the system is leaking currently and the dye will show you where the system has ever leaked.

Whatever you do, do not use any of the snake-oil A/C system sealers that are out there...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived