CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Avg. mpg per tank

Jan Olsson

Avg. mpg per tank (ordinary driving)  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Avg. mpg per tank (ordinary driving)

• 10-11 mpg
    • 11-12 mpg
    • 12-13 mpg
    • 13-14 mpg
    • 14-15 mpg
    • 15-16 mpg
    • 16-18 mpg
    • 18-20 mpg
    • 20-22 mpg
    • 22-25 mpg

• 2 months later...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a recent 1,000 mile trip, my 95 STS got a little over 24 mpg. In town, I get anywhere from 17 to 19.5 mpg. A lot of my in-town driving is freeway so it bumps it up to around 19.5; otherwise, I get around 17 mpg. Wish it was better, but it beats driving a Honda getting 25 mpg.

Well I recently gave up on my 500 miles to the tank Honda Accord in favor of the 1992 STS so far I get about 19.5 mpg. Thats pretty decent, not to shabby. I figured it would be way worse. I expect the MPG to go up when I get a K&N and the magnaflow exhaust done. I just had the radiator changed and the oil changed so we'll see if that helps any b/c Ill tell you what that crap was nasty!

So where's the new table? I only use my '99 STS for highway trips, I average about 24.5-25 mpg. But I have gotten as high as 27.5 @ 72 mph (avg.) on a trip back from Florida. I read in a recent post that SLS's will run 27-28 highway without a problem. I found that post to be completely accurate based on my expierience.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never been too concerned about tracking my mileage, but I do try to extend it with the little things: maintain good tire pressure, use synthetic oil, keep the fuel system clean with occasional additives, keep the right foot OFF the firewall, and coast whenever possible.

Coming home with my Fleetwood after purchase, I did run a combined mileage check of 250 miles Interstate (relatively flat) and 85 miles of weekly to and from work. I got a respectable 20.0 mpg.

Great poll Jan!!

I made a calculation to get the average fuel consumption so far for all those of you that have voted (152 votes). I got 18.3 mpg if I´m correct.

My girlfriend and I went for a vacation and drove about 2860 miles this summer. We were driving in speeds of about 75-90 mph and had quite much city driving too and managed to get about 18 mpg anyway :)

I was thinking of getting myself a newer model of the STS but I´ve reconcidered. My -93 has too much of a soul to be sold to someone else ;)

• 1 month later...

I get usualy around 18 MPG in the city and 26 MPG on the highway but when I'm out messing around and being hard on the gas peddle if you know what I mean I get about 11 MPG.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

• 1 month later...

Currently only getting 14 city driving, that is due to a bad fuel pressure regulator, which I will be replacing tommorrow. Pulled vacuum line off and plugged then started car and sure enough gas spitting out past diaphram. ALSO having trouble starting when car is warmed up. Should improve by at least 2 mpg. I hope.

Average drive I was getting 23-24 so I cut the catylitic converter open and gutted it, opened up the air box with a scroll saw, run my tires around 35-36 psi and check them weekly, don't hot rod it and take my time slowing down.

My best was 30 mpg with three of us and our baggage in the car coming back from Colorado last year. My average, I drive 140+ miles per day, is right at 27 right now.

I'm going to put Flowmasters on in a couple of weeks also. Schucks says they run about $20 a muffler in my area. I'll do the install so maybe that is where I'm saving the money on them.

Steve

I'm having around 14MPG in a city and 25-27 on a highway average.

Reading some posts above noticed that some owners still have a false belief that synthetic oil improves mileage. Using the synthetic oil may be good only if the engine works in really hot or hard conditions, towing and so. It’s nothing to do with a mileage anyway. Changing radiator and oil change can't improve that too.

The very important thing is a driving style.

And by the way, warming engine at morning 10min can't bring anything good for the car (that just my own opinion), only the bad like too much carbon. Modern engines don't need long warm-ups. Faster engine get warmer better for the engine. So, I always start driving after start. Just not hard, very easy, almost idle. I have one-way downhill road, so it very helpful. The important thing is not to give really hard work to the engine, but easy. And it helps get engine hotter faster, than just stay idle.

I'm with you Oldgamer - start it and drive it. I have a couple of slow miles to start my commute so it's the same thing. then a steady 55 - 60 for about 20 miles - then the freeway for 30 miles at 75 and then back to town and work at 55.

No problems so far -

And synthetic oil would be a disaster for me. I have one little itty bitty leak - and synthetic would run out like a faucet. Takes a well sealed motor to run synthetic.

Steve

I'm with you Oldgamer - start it and drive it. I have a couple of slow miles to start my commute so it's the same thing. then a steady 55 - 60 for about 20 miles - then the freeway for 30 miles at 75 and then back to town and work at 55.

No problems so far -

And synthetic oil would be a disaster for me. I have one little itty bitty leak - and synthetic would run out like a faucet. Takes a well sealed motor to run synthetic.

Steve

Did you try synthetic oil yet? Cause what I know the rumors about leaking of synthetic oil just are rumors, not more. Synthetic oil design to work for high temperature conditions, thats all. Otherwize, no difference or advantages/disadvantages.

I have not tried it. Regular oil seems to do the trick and is a lot cheaper. I always believed that synthetic would head for the nearest hole and I've plugged a bunch of them on this rig - I was afraid it would run all over the place!

Hard enough to track the beggers down as it is. :D

It's doing so well I'm not going to make too many changes other than the mufflers.

Have a great T-day!

Steve

94 Eldo/275 hp--been running an experiment and damned if I'm not getting better mileage on Shell regular than on their V-Power product!!???? About 17.9 vs. 19.6 on my daily cruise of 6-10 miles to work each way and picking up kids. And, no, it doesn't knock but I have to say it doesn't rock, either: nothing like high test to put you back in the seat when your right foot is on the rug!

25.1 from Atlanta to Texas last week and between 23 and 23.5 around town(to work and back).

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

Did you try synthetic oil yet? Cause what I know the rumors about leaking of synthetic oil just are rumors, not more. Synthetic oil design to work for high temperature conditions, thats all. Otherwize, no difference or advantages/disadvantages.

I disagree on this one. The synthetic oil has much greater detergent properties. The leaks come about because the dino oil has deposits built up plugging minor holes. Then you put in the synthetic and it cleans away the old deposits and now the oil has a way to leak out. I have seen it happen time and time again. Including the switch I made on my 87 Toyota Supra. Didn't leak a drop until the switch.

Charles

Charles

• 8 months later...

I disagree on this one. The synthetic oil has much greater detergent properties. The leaks come about because the dino oil has deposits built up plugging minor holes. Then you put in the synthetic and it cleans away the old deposits and now the oil has a way to leak out. I have seen it happen time and time again. Including the switch I made on my 87 Toyota Supra. Didn't leak a drop until the switch.

Charles

Sorry, not buyin’ it.. ;)

Synthetics have no more detergents than Dinos. The propensity to leak comes from materials used for the seals. Engines that were specifically designed for conventional (dyno) oil use seals that are specifically designed for the same. Engines specifically designated to run with synthetic oil have seals are designed from materials for synthetics. Problems with leaks arise when people add synthetic oils to engines designed for dynos. The synthetic oil will get by those seals. The same cannot be said in reverse, however,.Engines that were designed for synthetics can handle dynos without leaking.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

The 1991 Fleetwood currently in the city gets as bad as 16 roughly and on the highway, at 60 MPH gets as good as 24 maybe 25 when there's no wind. Better economy than the old Chrysler LHS was getting, hmmm and it only had 6 cylinders, go figure. Seventeen is good enough for me.

Spence

Charles

When I switched my 4.9 engine to synthetic, it leaked a bit. But it's stopped now. Must have "settled".

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived